Star Citizen studio accused by staff for making them work during Texas winter storm.

Rocky Arbigaus

So no one from Texas in this thread? The problem wasn't the weather, the problem is our criminal state government in Texas that doesn't have any rules on the book for ensuring our power grid can function properly in cold weather. Or maybe I should amend that and say maybe it was working properly, as it allowed power companies to price gouge at $9 per kilowatt hour for nearly a week. Anyways, the state was only able to fulfill about 40% of the power demand which meant constant rolling blackouts for the lucky ones and no power for many others. Who is going to go to the office to sit there in the dark without heat for 5 hours, and maybe get 3 hours of work done when the power is actually on? The highways were all closed, there were no stoplights working in the cities because they had to shut them all off to conserve power, there was no public transportation. So you're going to quadruple your commute time to work to sit in a dark office most of the day in a state with dogshit infrastructure not capable of handling a little cold. You guys should laugh at us, it's ridiculous that temperatures in the 20s Fahrenheit shut down a state. But that is the way the state of Texas designed its power grid to operate because we're run by crooks.

I find it funny on how many people's reply is something like "Ohhh, if you don't want to get out on the snow, work from home".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56076686

US President Joe Biden has approved a state of emergency in Texas, which has seen some of its coldest temperatures in more than 30 years - some areas hit 0F (-18C) on Sunday.

The high demand for electricity in the state has caused the power grid to fail. Rolling blackouts have been imposed in some areas to conserve power for hospitals, police and fire stations, leaving over 4.3 million people without electricity.

The crisis was worsened when nearly half the state's wind power generation was knocked out by the storm on Sunday. Wind power is the state's second-largest source of electricity.

Icy roads have also led to a spate of traffic accidents and people have been advised to avoid travel where possible.

Don't believe the "Media", how about the 8Bit Guy?

2 minutes ago, Rocky Arbigaus said:

I find it funny on how many people's reply is something like "Ohhh, if you don't want to get out on the snow, work from home".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56076686

Don't believe the "Media", how about the 8Bit Guy?

The wind power wasn't the worst, what completely fucked Texas was a large fraction of the plants producing power from natural gas going offline. It was a clusterfuck for everyone but the wholesale energy sellers who got to price gouge at 100x the normal price.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The wind power wasn't the worst, what completely fucked Texas was a large fraction of the plants producing power from natural gas going offline. It was a clusterfuck for everyone but the wholesale energy sellers who got to price gouge at 100x the normal price.

Yeah, I know. But what really baffles me is the amount of people here who thinks its just wining because "Ohh, where I livem we get 100km of snow and we dig a tunnel to go to work everyday without complaining". Well, Kudos for you guys, not everyone live in the fricking north pole.

Just now, Rocky Arbigaus said:

Yeah, I know. But what really baffles me is the amount of people here who thinks its just whining because "Ohh, where I livem we get 100km of snow and we dig a tunnel to go to work everyday without complaining". Well, Kudos for you guys, not everyone live in the fricking north pole.

7 minutes ago, Rocky Arbigaus said:

Yeah, I know. But what really baffles me is the amount of people here who thinks its just wining because "Ohh, where I livem we get 100km of snow and we dig a tunnel to go to work everyday without complaining". Well, Kudos for you guys, not everyone live in the fricking north pole.

What sort of response were you hoping to receive when you posted this article? There's no question the situation is bad for many however there's no reason a company should give you 'free' time off because your house's pipes burst.  Take time off or work out some unpaid days.  Do what you need to do. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

What sort of response were you hoping to receive when you posted this article? There's no question the situation is bad for many however there's no reason a company should give you 'free' time off because your house's pipes burst.  Take time off or work out some unpaid days.  Do what you need to do. 

I live in the UK and I watched the Texas storm news on TV. I was hoping that you guys on the US would...AT LEAST...be aware as well.

3 minutes ago, Rocky Arbigaus said:

I live in the UK and I watched the Texas storm news on TV. I was hoping that you guys on the US would...AT LEAST...be aware as well.

You think we didn't know Texas had a snow storm?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I live in DFW and I worked through the storm. I sat in my car to keep stuff charged and worked from my iPad tethered to my phone while the power was out and the rest of my family sat huddled in the living room to stay warm. I mean, you have to work to get paid.

41 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I disagree.  I can only speak (type) for me.  Lets assume I had to go through what they did in Texas, and specifically with this Company.  I literally understand the policy and would just toss in some vacation.  I intentionally dont schedule 1 week of vacation a year for Emergencies.  So the disconnect is not me - its the difference between how individuals are prepared.

You confuse your needs, with a contract you have in place with your employer.  Harsh truths.  They are uncomfortable to digest because (and I agree with you) we wish people (Corporations) would have some humanity.  

Its easy to say I am disconnected to the needs of others, its far harder for you to look at your own life, and the lives of others and ask - is the onus on me/them?  Because its not on the Company to have good will - thats up to the Owner of the Company and peoples feelings are fickle especially where Money is involved.

BTW you added caveats at the end of your statement that I find odd - why is it fair to mandatory one group of employed people to have to go to work, but not another?  We cant have Fair AND Equal, just one or the other.

Individuals cannot be prepared in situations like these, especially if the infrastructure isn't built for cases like these as I mentioned before. Contracts shouldn't matter. Corps shouldn't force you shit, but considering we're talking about the US here, you're literally almost unprotected. And about my last phrase of my earlier comment, there's a big difference if we are talking about services or supermarkets that deliver medical supplies or food products that are daily necessary to have. Of course if those who can't get to their workplace, they shouldn't be forced to go there. 

36 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You might want to re-read what I said and what I was replying to.

Okay, so I misunderstood what you were saying hence I put in my comment 'If you're implying' as I wasn't sure if you meant it in the way I interpreted it. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

2 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Contracts shouldn't matter.

wut? The whole point of contracts is that they matter.

3 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Individuals cannot be prepared in situations like these, especially if the infrastructure isn't built for cases like these as I mentioned before. Contracts shouldn't matter. Corps shouldn't force you shit, but considering we're talking about the US here, you're literally almost unprotected. And about my last phrase of my earlier comment, there's a big difference if we are talking about services or supermarkets that deliver medical supplies or food products that are daily necessary to have. Of course if those who can't get to their workplace, they shouldn't be forced to go there. 

Okay, so I misunderstood what you were saying hence I put in my comment 'If you're implying' as I wasn't sure if you meant it in the way I interpreted it. 

Dude you sound...odd to me, I dont think we can have a conversation.

You - Cannot be prepared

Me - Yes you can.  Fortune favors the prepared.

You - Contracts shouldnt matter

Me - wut.  I wont even go here because this is childish.  

You - Corps shouldnt force you shit

Me - Corps dont, you decide to do the things you do you are not a slave in Texas.  You could quit your job, you could take no pay, you could use vacation.  You just want to have the company pander to you instead of the Policies...already in place that you agreed to upon showing up each day to work. 

Unfortunately your Lifestyle (not you specific but...most of us) requires you to work.  I know plenty of people who dont work.  I do not want their lifestyle.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

22 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

You are trying to have a reasonable conversation with people who don't believe in labor laws. Forget about it.

11 minutes ago, Rocky Arbigaus said:

You are trying to have a reasonable conversation with people who don't believe in labor laws. Forget about it.

Ah, the old "They don't think like us, so they don't deserve the conversation" argument.

That is pretty standard that an employee doesn't get additional free paid time off. Where I live we have a few snow-emergencies every winter where buses stop to work and schools are closed etc. Many employers will be closed or use some remote work where possible. But the rule for employees always is: you are allowed to come to work and work and get paid. You are allowed to not come in and to use off time (i.e. sick, comp, vacation etc.). There never is an offer to not come in and get paid without having to use some sort of paid off time from the annual allotment.

We in the North just shrug our shoulders when we have snow and ice like Texas, we have that all winter and much more. if we had what those employees demand, I would get 100 additional paid days off every year. 

No, it's not, but let's face it. If you really tough that you, as the most vulnerable level on the production chain (AKA: employee) should just keep working because your company won't make an effort to keep you safe and you actually were proud of working inside your car, what can I say? Really?

I, for one, who came from a country with (or, at least, we had, until our new elected president started shitting around) strong labor laws, and now living on a country with somewhat good labor laws (At least better than Texas that has close to 0 fucks), I think this is a major bullshit. On any serious country, labor law are above any contract. On a crisis situation, the people are the priority. No people, no production.

And I'm sorry again, I don't mean to disrespect, but the US as a whole has the worse labor laws and medicare. I feel for you guys, even though you don't have any ideas on how to live in a place where these things are basic.

16 minutes ago, HerrKaLeu said:

That is pretty standard that an employee doesn't get additional free paid time off. Where I live we have a few snow-emergencies every winter where buses stop to work and schools are closed etc. Many employers will be closed or use some remote work where possible. But the rule for employees always is: you are allowed to come to work and work and get paid. You are allowed to not come in and to use off time (i.e. sick, comp, vacation etc.). There never is an offer to not come in and get paid without having to use some sort of paid off time from the annual allotment.

We in the North just shrug our shoulders when we have snow and ice like Texas, we have that all winter and much more. if we had what those employees demand, I would get 100 additional paid days off every year. 

You see? that's the mentality I think it's weird on you guys.
1- Ohhh, were I come from, we got loads of snow...Well, congrats, but were you come from, you are ready for that snow. Texas is NOT because it is not THAT cold in the winther. This is called empaty, try it.

2- You guys think that's is normal to have unpaid leaves.

Just because you like your laws better doesn't mean everyone else has to. Your opinion is just that. An opinion. You can have the opinion that other people are wrong, but that doesn't make it so. Two different people can disagree, and both be reasonable people.

6 minutes ago, Rocky Arbigaus said:

1- Ohhh, were I come from, we got loads of snow...Well, congrats, but were you come from, you are ready for that snow. Texas is NOT because it is not THAT cold in the winther. This is called empty, try it.

We had rolling blackouts ten years ago last time it got a little cold too. Texas' government doesn't give a shit about its people.

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

what lol

Heaters exist in Texas, it does get cold enough there. Also, no insulation? What do you think you want when it's 100-115°F (38-46°C) outside?

And heaters don't work if there is no power.

7 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

Just because you like your laws better doesn't mean everyone else has to. Your opinion is just that. An opinion. You can have the opinion that other people are wrong, but that doesn't make it so. Two different people can disagree, and both be reasonable people.

You complained that I used the "They don't think like us, so they don't deserve the conversation", and yet, you prove my point that there is no reason to discuss it.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Arbigaus said:

1- Ohhh, were I come from, we got loads of snow...Well, congrats, but were you come from, you are ready for that snow. Texas is NOT because it is not THAT cold in the winther. This is called empty, try it.

Even in Germany with a much better labor law you don't get additional free days off because of snow. The best you get is being released from your duty to show up and that you don't have to use the normal way of approval for days off. (Because if you just decide yourself to take a vacation day you could get fired).

No one says people shouldn't have paid days off. But they should be used for the days they are not at work. If you get X sick days, and Y vacation days every year, that is what you get and not more. 

No one forced Texas to not be ready. They had a similar thing happen in 2011 and elected to save money and not prepare. And no one forced them to be disconnected form the remainder of the continental US electrical grid. The states around them in the same climate had power. The Texas disaster was man-made and just triggered by the cold. i realize the employees have no control over any of this. But they also enjoy the lower taxes and electric rates they had all those years. 

I'm just saying you're framing your argument in a way that dismisses another opinion.

Just now, Vanderburg said:

I'm just saying you're framing your argument in a way that dismisses another opinion.

Do you believe in labor laws?