Z as in ranked in price - new VAIO ultrabook announced

williamcll

While its specification is very typical of a latest generation ultrabook, it spots a fullbody carbon fiber build. It's priced at 3579 USD.

Kaoru Hayashi, Director, Vice President and Head of PC Business at VAIO Corporation, proudly states, “It is with great pleasure that we introduce VAIO Z to the world. With over a decade of relentless carbon fiber research, VAIO has succeeded in creating and mass producing the world’s first 3-D molded full carbon chassis for laptop PCs. “VAIO has developed a unique process of working with carbon fiber to achieve beautifully contoured lines and the flexible molding of carbon fiber, that was previously difficult to mass produce. The achievement of harnessing carbon fiber’s full potential of lightness and durability is both revolutionary and evolutionary as we continue looking ahead. With this evolution, the new VAIO Z offers exceptional performance, lightness, endurance, now with true ruggedness, and without compromise, all converging into one elegant design. With VAIO Z as our flagship model, we hope it is the start of VAIO’s future array of laptop PC developments.

SONY-VAIO-Z-2.jpg

Source: https://videocardz.com/press-release/vaio-z-contoured-carbon-fiber-laptop-with-tiger-lake-h35-costs-3579-usd
Thoughts: The LG grams beats it by weight, the GPD beats it by portability and expandability, the Asus flow beats it by performance. I cannot see the selling point of using carbon fibre if you are going to price it this high.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Hmmm. Interesting. 

I take issue with some of your comparisons. If it's more stiff than the Gram, then that's a huge plus. Comparing it to a GPD makes literally no sense at all, they're in different leagues. The Asus Flow is almost a pound heavier. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You can compare it to lots of laptops - but you can only buy one laptop. If its a good balance of weight, build quality and performance (for instance a MacBook), then its a good buy. 

Surprised Pikachu face. Vaio are still around? After Sony sold the brand they seem to pretty much disappear, at least in the West.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

With VAIO Z as our flagship model, we hope it is the start of VAIO’s future array of laptop PC developments.

not likely

Pricing for the VAIO Z starts at $3,579.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, porina said:

Surprised Pikachu face. Vaio are still around? After Sony sold the brand they seem to pretty much disappear, at least in the West.

They're still around and are making all of these weird, overpriced laptops. Who buys them, I don't know. Why they still exist, I don't know.

The Vaio Z series, whether this latest version or any of the previous iterations over the last decade plus, has always been a prestige product that never made sense on any sort of value or relative product competition basis vs. other manufactures. It's meant to be a more like a rolex you buy to show off.

That said, I'm not a fan of this latest version, though back before ultrabooks became a thing the Z series was about the only option for a no compromises ~13in laptop.

It's an interesting concept to have a carbin fiber chassis. Maybe they can bring the coat down to lower end models and have that same build quality at a power price tier. Granted I have no idea how a carbon fiber chassis would actually feel like. Is it better than some of the other laptop chassis out their? I would actually like to see one in person to see just how well carbon fiber suits a laptop chassis. 

• 1 month later...

Watched the launch event for this retrospectively and the VAIO Z seems conflicted as ever. The plethora of i/o ports seems to have gone which was one of the main USPs. It still seems to be targeted at business users who want a high quality unique laptop. Launch event seemed to suggest it would be suitable for creators but not convinced.

I was actually interested in replacing my Sony VAIO with another VAIO but without proper dedicated graphics there is not much difference between the VAIO Z and my 10 year old Sony VAIO with the exception of battery life.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700k, ASUS Z170-PRO, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR4 (3200 MHz), ASUS 1070 DUAL OC, Corsair Spec-Alpha, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Corsair CX Series CX750M, LG 34UM88C-P, Corsair H100i v2, Corsair K55 RGB, Windows 10 Education

Desktop 2: Intel Core i7-4790k, Lenovo Sharkbay, Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB DDR3 (2133MHz), Gigabyte 1650 OC Low Profile, Lenovo M93 SFF, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Silverstone TX700

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCEH1L8E, Intel Core i7-2720QM, Sony MBX-247 DA0HK1MB6E0 (REV:E), Kingston Hyper X 16GB DDR3L (2133 MHz), Western Digital Blue SSD (500GB), Panasonic E233037 (CPU Fan), Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Windows 10 Home

Other Laptop: HP G7010EA, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, Crucial 5GB (4+1) DDR2 (667MHz), Samsung 960 Evo SATA SSD (500GB), Windows 10 Home

I’ve thought of viao as a PC for Mac shops.  You can get something as well as or better made than a Mac but it costs even more money. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Japanese makers always have this kind of "looks very nice but not very value oriented" products.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

I imagine that’s the cost of using real carbon-fibre.

I don’t think Dell’s XPS lineup actually uses much carbon-fibre at all. I think it’s more of a look than actual functionality for Dell.

Edit: And oh god. Nobody mentioned the CPU aspect of it but it uses the DOA Tiger Lake H35 quad core CPUs.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),