Too fast for its own good: Intel kills consumer Optane

BachChain

Summary

Originally conceived as one of several next-generation solid state storage technologies, Intel's Optane memory promised higher performance, lower latency, and longer endurance than conventional NAND SSDs. While this has led to Optane being very successful in the professional and data-center markets, the consumer segment has had a somewhat more troubled history. Since its original release in early 2017, Optane has suffered from multiple problems that prevented it from reaching widespread adoption; from high costs and low densities to seemingly arbitrary platform restrictions and esoteric intended use cases. Four years later, Intel has decided enough is enough and is pulling the plug. In a move that seemingly came out of nowhere, Intel has announced that they are immediately discontinuing all consumer oriented SKUs of their Optane high speed SSDs. The affected models are:

• Optane Memory 900P and 905P - AIC - 280GB, 480GB, 960GB and 1.5TB
  • Optane Memory 900P and 905P - U.2 - 280GB, 480GB, 960GB, 1.5TB
  • Optane Memory 905P - M.2 - 380GB
  • Optane Memory M10 - M.2  - 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
  • Optane Memory 800P - M.2 - 58GB, 118GB

Intel apparently wants to get this over with as quickly as possible, as the discontinuation dates they set had already passed by the time they sent the announcement with the last shipments going out on February 26. Following this move, it appears the only consumer drives utilizing Optane technology will be Optane/NAND hybrids like the recently announced H20 O.E.M. drive.

Quotes

"Intel will not provide a new large capacity Optane Memory SSD as a transition product for the client market segment. Intel will focus on the new Optane Memory H20 with Solid State Storage for the client market segment."

Intel's discontinuation period is incredibly brief, too, with all discontinued drives no longer offered as of the publication date of the notices, or a few days prior as we see with the 800P series:

Discontinuation Posted Last Order Date Last Shipment Date
Intel Optane Memory 900 and 905P Series January 15, 2021 January 15, 2021 February 26, 2021
Intel Optane Memory 800P Series January 14, 2021 January 11, 2021 February 26, 2021
Intel Optane Memory M10 Series January 13, 2021 January 13, 2021 February 26, 2021

As we often see, 'cheap and good enough' tends to win in the market, and the pricing and capacity advantages of garden-variety TLC SSDs, paired with the good-enough performance for most consumers, relegated Intel's Optane drives to a niche category for either the most hardcore enthusiasts or the workstation market.

My thoughts

I've never used an Optane drive, but I had been looking forward to when these next-gen ultra low latency drives became widespread. Undoubtedly, this will cause a significant delay to that transition.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-kills-off-all-optane-only-ssds-for-consumers-no-replacements-planned

or if they are going to use another tech that might be cheaper to produce?

But yeah, wanted to see what optane tech would come, I guess it's a big no.

Really the only point for optane was to be a oh no I'm gonna run out of ram rendering this stuff buffer or a very very fast cache drive. Tasks that almost no consumer would ever run in to. That and as the article said a garden variety ssd is plenty for basically everyone.

Whodathunkit, things get killed off when nobody buys them (outside of a handful of tiny capacity ones through OEMs) due to other products being much more competitive. Wack.

This post brought to you by someone the mods hate 🙂

The only Optane drive I own is currently in use as a very fast but very low capacity (16GB) USB flash drive. I thought it was interesting, though. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

13 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

or if they are going to use another tech that might be cheaper to produce?

From the article:

The discontinuation notices for the M10 and 800P series also point Intel's customers to the Optane Memory H20 drives. The H20 drives come with Optane memory paired with QLC flash on the same device. These caching drives aren't nearly as fast as Optane-only drives (they aren't even in the same league) and are designed primarily for laptops and the OEM market. 

So maybe more qlc nand flash drives with optane caching in the future?

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

So maybe more qlc drives with optane caching in the future?

Will that be that much better? from some of the intel stuff I have seen, even more SSD like options have been a bit more expensive and if this would make much of a difference? Although would be cool to see how it performs to other stuff. Kinda wish to see something more, like samsung or someone else did something recently didn't they (not the intel stacking stuff or whatever it was)

I own 2 16GB Optane modules. 
Paid $7 for one of them, nothing for another.
Once I can, I'll use StoreMI for one of them for my big storage drive and probably leave the other as standalone.

Unless you can RAID them and then use that as a cache?

elephants

Could this be a new CEO move?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Ughhhhhhhhh. H10s are such trash. I have 5 of them sitting in a box along with 20 16GBs and a dozen 32GBs.

Do have some 900ps in the office doing good work tho.

33 minutes ago, MII-333GP said:

things get killed off when nobody buys them

Or they have stupid system requirements, like demanding 8th gen Intel CPUs....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

That sort of depends, if the Optane systems were designed and implemented under the prior CEO, then yeah, it could be a pissing match wherein the new CEO tries to kill off everything the prior CEO did, to establish dominance...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

17 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I have 5 of them sitting in a box along with 20 16GBs and a dozen 32GBs.

I offer free recycling of computers and computer components. /s

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That sort of depends, if the Optane systems were designed and implemented under the prior CEO, then yeah, it could be a pissing match wherein the new CEO tries to kill off everything the prior CEO did, to establish dominance...

I don't thin they were. But could it be a new CEO taking the company in a new direction that's more CPU and GPU focused.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The new CEO doesn't take over until Feb. 15.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

3 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

The new CEO doesn't take over until Feb. 15.

Til. It's weird that there haven't been leeks of this though.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

GPU focused.

I'd like to see a new GPU player in the market, Matrox notwithstanding (do they even make video cards anymore?), especially one oriented towards ML and/or gamers.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

I'd like to see a new GPU player in the market, Matrox notwithstanding (do they even make video cards anymore?), especially one oriented towards ML and/or gamers.

Well there is the like quarterly internet dgpu leaks. But idk. I feel like we've heard the same thing for a bit about Intel gpus

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

We'll probably never know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a supply line issue. Options are: EOM/SI got a great deal on the remaining stock, some fab somewhere got a malfunction, 3rd party parts no longer available (unlikely, suppliers are under contract to deliver and get hefty fines if they don't) or any other reason the supply chain broke.

Or it's as simple as the Optane line not contributing to projected revenue as expected.

Your guess is as good as mine! :old-skeptical:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

welp, I guess to the average consumer, this stuff is now truly unoptanable.

PC 0: Pinky 2.0

Ryzen 9 5950x — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 5 @3600Mhz CL14-13-13-28-288 — ROG Crosshair 8 Dark Hero — RX 6900 XT — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB — Samsung PM961 1TB  WD Blue 4TB HDD — Corsair AX1500i — Thermaltake Core P5 

PC 1: Pinky (Yes that is her name) Here's the build

Xeon E5-1680V3 — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Samsung 950Pro 512GB — Seagate 2TB HDD — Corsair RM1000 — Thermaltake Core P5

PC 1.1: Pinky (Mom Edition) Here's the build

i7-5960X — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB — Samsung Q 870 Evo 4TB — Corsair HX850i — InWin S-Frame #190

PC 2: Red Box/Scarlet Overkill (Dual Xeon)

Xeon E5-2687W x2 — 96GB Kingston DDR3 ECC REG @1333Mhz — EVGA Classified SR-X Dual CPU — GTX 1070 SLI (2-WAY) —Hardline Loop — Samsung 750 EVO 256GB — Seagate 2TB 2.5" HDD x3 — Self-Built Case

Maybe a side affect of the rumours that Intel are outsourcing much of their CPU & non CPU fabbing to TSMC? Perhaps they couldn't secure enough capacity to keep supplies running for both enterprise & consumer level SKUs?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Or they have stupid system requirements, like demanding 8th gen Intel CPUs....

That only applies to Optane Memory when used as cache devices. The SSDs were as compatible in any system as any other SSD.

13 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

The original plan always was to provide another memory tier with lower latency and higher throughout between memory and slower storage. And they didn't manage to be 1000x faster than SSDs.

I think there were multiple factors getting in the way of that. One, NVMe interface is too slow and not designed for low latency. 2nd, due to the cost, the capacity had to be kept low, and that meant it couldn't scale upwards. In a similar way we see 2TB flash SSDs performing better than the same model in 512GB form.

50 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Maybe a side affect of the rumours that Intel are outsourcing much of their CPU & non CPU fabbing to TSMC? Perhaps they couldn't secure enough capacity to keep supplies running for both enterprise & consumer level SKUs?

From memory (so this might not be 100% accurate) Xpoint was a joint development with Micron, and they parted way some years ago. I believe at the time Micron retained the manufacturing facilities although Intel would still have a share of the output for some time. It may be that part of the arrangement is coming to a close, so they have to focus more on how much and where it goes, such as more towards the far better profit enterprise market. Even though Intel had rights to it I don't recalling they ever started manufacturing it themselves. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

They come out with something better the the dead end nand flash, try to recover their dev cost in a small limited production making it cost too much for most anyone to buy and then drop it, Not enough sales?  Wonder why. If they had ramped up production to get cost down right away and spread the dev cost over a longer time, it would not be selling now because it would be out of stock like everything else from high demand. Maybe the next group will do better with Ultraram:

https://contest.techbriefs.com/2020/entries/electronics-sensors-iot/10357

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ultraram-non-volatile-ram-dram-flash-storage

Nah, big companies can't think that way. They all want big bucks right away.

this is after they decided to sell off their nand division also