what got you into computers and when did you do your first build?

jake

started watching ncix videos and than realized i was in desperate need of an upgrade

Got my first computer when I was 5. MS Flight Simulator was one of my first games. I bought my first computer a few months after I got a job, which did the job I needed it to do. After I graduated High school I build my first system. Now Im looking to build my next system.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I got into free FPS games (Combat Arms, Sudden Attack) and it ran like crap so I just randomly bought a new graphics card but then it still ran like crap. I learned that the CPU was my bottleneck like 2 years after this happened. I was like 12 when this started and I'm 15 now.

I built my first rig this month, b/c saving a lot of money when your a kid is freakin hard.

I am 13 and did my first build a month ago.... ive always seen pc gaming inferior and a waste of money. now that I have build one I like it a lot. I am currently modding a bitfenix prodigy to house my water cooled, jtaged xbox 360.

Here's a picture of my setup.

post-5414-13667861270496_thumb.jpg

I got into free FPS games (Combat Arms, Sudden Attack) and it ran like crap so I just randomly bought a new graphics card but then it still ran like crap. I learned that the CPU was my bottleneck like 2 years after this happened. I was like 12 when this started and I'm 15 now.

I built my first rig this month, b/c saving a lot of money when your a kid is freakin hard.

I agree....................

1st computer, if you could call it that was a

[h=1]Commodore Vic-20[/h]

lol

1st pc i built up was using a intel pentium pro180 then moved onto amds K6's i think and stayed amd for the most part , only intel based pc i have atm is a i5 750 on lga 1156

going intel socket 2011 in next big build up i think , need the powerup

I was raised with computers all around me. My grandfather was the first to own a computer in New Brunswick, that really influenced my mother to be interested in technology which in turn led down to me. I never really thought about building my own until I realized my laptop didn't have a dedicated video card. I researched on what I could do for it and saw Linus' videos on YouTube of him unboxing different video cards. Over time I watched more of his videos and learned more about computer hardware and built my own just last year. My influence for building my own PC was Linus.

I got into computers early at the beginning of this school year in September. Before that, I was scared that it would be too hard. Then in October I built my parents $300 computer and just last week, I built my Hackintosh.

Back when I was 3 I was having much fun with Paint, then I heard of dragon fable in about 2007, then In 2010 or so I heard you could make custom maps in COD: WaW and I was like wow! Then I realized how much better the PC was compared to all consoles, and I made my build December 25th, 2011.

I was a playstation guy until a few years after PS2 was released.. I built my first computer about 8-9 years ago? and since then I have bought a new 1500-2500$ Pc almost every 2 years.. and I love it.. :)

My last build was with custom watercooling so I have a whole new area to explore.. :P

(Comming soon)

I was looking to replace my old windows vista computer but I couldn't find one that suited my gaming needs for a reasonable price so Looked at other solutions on a forum and they suggested building one instead. The person they suggested it to wasn't interested but I was so I checked it out and about a month later I subscribed to Linus

I always liked to take things apart and I had several radios and computers to play with. I got interested in computer hardware seriously when I was 12 or 13 but didnt have much money then, so I collected old parts and built a few systems, most of which were based upon old mpga478b motherboards and CPUs. I was 14 when I built my first computer out of new parts based upon LGA1156. I found the LinusTechTips channel on youtube and it has been quite beneficial to the growth of my knowledge of computers.

I had a nintendo 64 and 1st gen xbox and we recently had ggotten a new pc and i took the old one.....bought a monitor and tv card and used the pc as a tv.....then at age 10-11 i built a pc.....sorta crappy but eh.....and after tht i built abother one... Which i am modding atm

It was a fateful day. My dell laptop had yet another problem with it, so I got on the phone with tech support. After about four hours of frustration I decided that I would figure out the problem for myself and order the part when I figured it out. Turns out it was bad hard drive sectors, and I ordered a replacement from dell since it was still under warranty at the time. This process of diagnosing and fixing a computer problem got me started, and I started to look into PC hardware more. Soon I figured out that I could build my very own. Six months later, I built my first rig using as a high school graduation present. Over last Thanksgiving I built my family a new one at the last minute when the dell that they had died. I love having computer hardware knowledge!

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

Gaming got me into computers, as I needed a decent desktop to play games.

my first build was:

CPU: core i5 2400 (I should have got an unlocked one)

Motherboard: Low end Intel one (It was really cheap and worked)

GPU: GTX 550 ti 2GB (should have got a 460 or 560, I'm running a 480 now)

Case: cheapest one possible (I stripped 2 standoffs and had to get a new one)

RAM: Patriot G2 1600MHz

PSU: Corsair TX650V2 (not enough connectors and has begun to coil whine)

I learned a lot from that build. Most importantly, I learned what parts not to cheap out on.

I just recently got into computers because I was getting sick of console gaming, also only having a Sony laptop for my everyday computer use nudged me in the right direction. But after doing a little research I wanted to build my own PC and that's where I met Linus. After watching most of his videos on both NCIXcom and LinusTechTips I needed to build my own custom rig. So thanks Linus!!!

• 1 year later...

So I was wondering how other people experience their first build. For me .. Well , I can't even get my side panel off( it was stiff , not a perfect fit , can't blame me :P ) so ... Yeah ..

Anyway ,

how did you get the confident to build it, well considering most people worked hard for the money to buy the parts , aren't you afraid that you might just break something ? ( eg. Watching videos , having an experienced techie beside )

What made you wanna build your PC yourself ?

How do you feel after your first build ?

The only thing I did partially wrong was applying the thermal paste, it was a bit too much lol.

Oh and assembling the 212 Evo CPU cooler is a pain.

Besides that it's easy as lego

I had taken my parents' computer apart before and through classes in school figured about how much abuse parts can take.

I didn't have enough money to build a hot rod back then, computer was a lot easier to throw money at and get something out of it.

Building was the easy part, saving up for a couple months was difficult. It felt awesome to finally put it all together and experience what I'd envisioned.

i lost my odd drive, i had no choice but to buy another one, dont ask how i have no idea where the heck it went.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I built three before my own.

First one took seven hours to build because I was very careful and the thermal paste gave me a problem when the computer wouldn't post, but I got it working just fine.

Second one took maybe four hours with a little help, had some extra fun things like UV lights and white braided cable extensions for some glamour. Posted first time.

Third one took three hours with some goofing off, it was an APU build with room for a GTX 760 upgrade in the future, which was the plan, don't talk to the owner anymore though, so who knows what's going on. Posted first time.

Fourth one I am still fiddling with, which is my own and should be understandable, I've now gotten it to be efficient and quiet and cool, so I'm happy. Posted first time.

Fifth one I built in about two hours and is the one I am most proud of, had a 990fx mobo, 8320, and GTX 770 all for only $1000 with room for a second GTX 770 in the future. Posted first time.

I'm working on getting a few more people to want to go full PC master race and I have so far lost money building these, not only with time, but straight cash, but I love building them so I'm alright with that. Posted first time.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Built my first PC with my Dad in 1995 at the age of 6. Since then, I have built over 200 builds in the last 20 years for others and myself :D

You get a little nervous sometimes when you're dealing with components. If you're trying to insert a graphics card with the motherboard installed in the case, then you might be a little worried if you break something. The PCBs don't normally feel particularly rigid, but you never have to be particularly cautious. They aren't ridiculously fragile. The only thing you have to be really delicate with are the CPU pins. They're hard to fix and no manufacturer I know of will honor a warranty if they're damaged.

If you're building for the first time, you're inevitably going to be nervous. You probably spent good money on the components and don't want to break anything. It might take you a few hours, you might be frightened you can't get something to work, maybe you don't know how to troubleshoot something. But it's not rocket science; once you finish, assuming you haven't busted anything (which takes effort, mind), then you'll feel great about it.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

FIRST TIME INSTALLING GPU...PLUGS MONITOR INTO MOTHERBOARD

post-42897-0-61422500-1396254296.png

needs to become meme...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones