CPU LED on Gigabyte motherboard is on

Need some help. Just bought new components to build my first pc. Everything is "just out of the box" new. I have everything plugged in and started a first run test to see if everything worked. The motherboard immediately turns the cpu led on and it doesn't seem to be running a test. It just stays on. I know that this means there's a problem with the cpu, but I have no idea what the problem could be.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4070 ti super

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX

Cooling system: Cool Master ML360L ARGB V2

21 minutes ago, ChronoDrake said:

Need some help. Just bought new components to build my first pc. Everything is "just out of the box" new. I have everything plugged in and started a first run test to see if everything worked. The motherboard immediately turns the cpu led on and it doesn't seem to be running a test. It just stays on. I know that this means there's a problem with the cpu, but I have no idea what the problem could be.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4070 ti super

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX

Cooling system: Cool Master ML360L ARGB V2

There's a bit of play in the AM5 socket, so its possible to have a bad install of the CPU. The cooler can also apply asymmetrical force if the bolts aren't properly cross tightened.

I'd reseat the CPU and make sure to cross tighten the cooler. Check the socket too to make sure there's no bent pins.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

There are no obviously bent pins, and I've tried reseating the CPU and re-tightening the cooler's latches at the same time, but that hasn't fixed the issue.

52 minutes ago, Agall said:

There's a bit of play in the AM5 socket, so its possible to have a bad install of the CPU. The cooler can also apply asymmetrical force if the bolts aren't properly cross tightened.

I'd reseat the CPU and make sure to cross tighten the cooler. Check the socket too to make sure there's no bent pins.

BIOS Update may be needed, 7800X3D is a late chip in the series

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

20 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

The system won't start, so I can't get to the BIOS screen. The cpu light just turns on. Everything else seems to be working just fine though.

21 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Says it should be supported by the release UEFI on the board's supported CPU list.

image.thumb.png.3b64c272c8a5db4512035613a54843aa.png

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

19 minutes ago, ChronoDrake said:

The system won't start, so I can't get to the BIOS screen. The cpu light just turns on. Everything else seems to be working just fine though.

The board supports BIOS Flashback via Q Flash Plus, so if you have a USB drive and another computer, you can update the BIOS without needing to get the system to boot. You don't even need anything installed, just a motherboard, PSU, and the flash drive.

48 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

The board supports BIOS Flashback via Q Flash Plus, so if you have a USB drive and another computer, you can update the BIOS without needing to get the system to boot. You don't even need anything installed, just a motherboard, PSU, and the flash drive.

I tried this, but nothing's changed.

8 minutes ago, ChronoDrake said:

I tried this, but nothing's changed.

Have you tried booting with just a single stick of RAM?

As in, remove the drives, remove the graphics card (the 7800X3D has an iGPU), and unplug anything USB except for the keyboard, and remove all but the CPU, the CPU cooler, and a single stick of memory, and see if it boots in that configuration.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Have you tried booting with just a single stick of RAM?

As in, remove the drives, remove the graphics card (the 7800X3D has an iGPU), and unplug anything USB except for the keyboard, and remove all but the CPU, the CPU cooler, and a single stick of memory, and see if it boots in that configuration.

Yes! It booted up!

Edited by ChronoDrake

Posted (edited)

Update: Managed to get it to boot up with everything plugged back in (all RAM sticks & GPU) and the error light is gone.

Still not entirely sure what caused the issue in the first place, but it seems to be working fine now.

Edit: Did some looking around and found this. The board is different, but it seems just like the issue I had: 

Hope this helps someone else.

Edited by ChronoDrake

6 minutes ago, ChronoDrake said:

Update: Managed to get it to boot up with everything plugged back in (all RAM sticks & GPU) and the error light is gone.

Still not entirely sure what caused the issue in the first place, but it seems to be working fine now.

I had a similar thing happen when I built my system. The reason was that the top M.2 drive wasn't fully seated. This can cause the CPU LED to light up, because the PCIe lanes for that slot come directly from the CPU.

Obviously, I don't know exactly what happened in your case, but it was likely something similar.

Glad to hear you got it working!