what got you into computers and when did you do your first build?

jake

I was sweating a LOT when assembling my PC so I had to stop every once a while and go to wipe my hands because I was scared that I can damage components. I wanted to plug cables from PSU after I mounted my cooler and then I figured out that its impossible because I was unable to fit my hands for 8pin ATX and CPU fan. Also now I would pick different cooler, not that I am not happy with its performance but the mounting on it is really pain. I would play with my PC components more but I just dont want to deal with that cooler mount so I just left it as it is. Fortunately my cables are not blocking any airflow so I dont have to deal with cable management.

Nice stories guys , keep em' coming !

I had worked with the old computers that I had around my house, and I would take them apart and fix them.  I also watched build guides on YouTube and did research on what parts were good for my budget.  From the looks of it, it didn't seem that hard to do.  And it really wasn't.  I am very happy with my build.  I looking to go into computer engineer in college, so I figured learning how to build a computer was a good first step.

first build? father helped

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Well it was't my pc it was my friends and I helped!

Hyper 212, holy Balz you have to apply a lot of pressure!

And one of the standoffs didn't go in!

Thing

Dad helped with first build, didnt post. mobo was bad, had to wait another month before the new mobo came in. hardest waiting ever

I had bought a prebuilt (dont judge) got tired of it's constant over heating, dat stock cooler, decided to get a new cpu mobo and case found linus and i'm better off for it as well

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I got into PCs from playing a few games one of my dad's laptops many years ago, but soon after that he got my brother and I our own pre-built (Phenom x3 8400, 4gb DDR2 mem, 200W PSU, integrated mobo graphics). It played the games I wanted to play for a while until Win7 was installed on it, so I got into linux, etc. and found Linus by typing "Linus" randomly into the Youtube search bar. Ever since then I became more interested in PCs, learned a ton, and wanted to build my own PC. I had to wait months until Christmas 2013 so during those long months I customized my build to my liking (my sig is the final product).

It was a bit of a late Christmas gift, but I was extremely happy when they arrived at my house. I couldn't wait, so I stayed up late building it. Took me about 3-4 hours and posted first time. Wasn't hard to put everything together except for the 24-pin and 8-pin PCIE connectors were very hard to unplug. The hardest part was probably putting on the 212 EVO until I learned that I had to apply a bit of pressure to make the bracket reach the opposite stand for it to be able to screw in. Since then I've made a few adjustments to make it look better, but it was definitely the most fun I've had in a long time. The wait was also definitely worth it, and I want to do it sometime again in the future. :)

I watched carry holsmans how to build a PC vid and hoped for the best. Nothing whent wrong.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I think my process went: Buy Pre-built, decided I wanted a nicer case and moved everything over, new PSU for new GPU, and so on until I had literally changed everything lol.  And then when all that got old I found Linus and decided to just start from scratch.  So my first computer was basically a reenactment of the ship of Theseus paradox lol.

We had a couple prebuilts at the end of the 90's/early 2000's, then in 04 my uncle gave me a couple old PC's to screw around with. I didn't really touch them for a bit, with fear of breaking them, but then I started ripping them apart and realized that they are not nearly as fragile as I had been told. Thus commenced the building/taking apart/building/taking apart of those 3 desktops until my mom accidentally kicked over our newest prebuilt in like 2006. Then the building fun started for me. Upgraded the mobo/CPU/RAM and video card cooler. I look back and realize now that there is a lot more I should have changed. There was no airflow in that case. No wonder that X1900GT was running stupid hot.

Then I took until this past Christmas off from desktops (was using ASUS gaming lappy's) and now I'm back. I don't wanna stop!

I like building my rigs because you usually get more hardware for less dollars, and you know exactly what's what in your system. Plus no factory bloatware is nice. I'm now lined up to build a couple for friends this years once they save up some more money.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

I gained the confidence to build it basically by watching hours and hours of build logs, tech reviews, unboxings, etc. until I thought I understood more or less how everything connected together. Then, I just took it slow, read the manuals, and double-checked everything after each step. Plug in RAM stick, check from all angles to make sure it's in fully and latch has closed to lock it in place. Plug in next stick and check from all angles, etc. Took me about a minute of carefully lining up the CPU before I was confident to drop it into place, mind you. Kept rechecking the little arrow to make sure it was lined up since I did NOT want to make a mistake there.

I decided to get a new gaming PC last September when my 5 year old laptop couldn't run Rome II: Total War even at lowest possible settings. Spent a few months doing research before I even began planning the parts. Then another few months to save up and finalise the list.

Once everything was in place and plugged in, pushing the power button to see everything working left me ecstatic. I likely overspent on some things by getting parts that may be a bit overkill, but ultimately I'm happy with my computer because I built it.

Now, though, the addiction has set in. I really want to build another rig. So I've helped a friend pick out parts for a budget gaming machine (and bought him a 760 as an early b-day present cause I was feeling generous), and will help him build it once he saves up for the other parts.

CPU: i7-3820 | Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 | Mobo: Asus Sabretooth X79Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Storage: Crucial M500 240GB & 480GB SSD + Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB |

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780ti Superclocked | PSU: 1000W Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 | Monitors: 3 x AOC i2367Fh 23.0"

All hail the mighty Flying Spaghetti Monster. May he touch you with his noodely appendages

I decided to get into PC gaming after seeing my friends computer and literally thinking "I need to out-do his computer now". But also to experience Battlefield 3 how it was meant to be played. I used Paul from Newegg build a PC guide to learn how to actually put it together and get it up and running. And I used Linus's videos to understand how to pick the proper parts for the price.

Field agent from the Ministry of Stop It. Now stop it!

So I was wondering how other people experience their first build. For me .. Well , I can't even get my side panel off( it was stiff , not a perfect fit , can't blame me :P ) so ... Yeah ..

Anyway ,

how did you get the confident to build it, well considering most people worked hard for the money to buy the parts , aren't you afraid that you might just break something ? ( eg. Watching videos , having an experienced techie beside )

What made you wanna build your PC yourself ?

How do you feel after your first build ?

Easy, i built mine to upgrade from a 5-6 year Athlon x2 7750 and radeon hd 6670(That was an upgrade, before i had radeon hd 4300)

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG