A high performance mini television in your pocket - new Sony Flagship phone leaks

williamcll

when you are still that one guy that can't stand watching videos on a phone for more than 30 seconds 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Since you haven't experienced anything else, I'm not sure how you can draw any conclusions. You have nothing to base your beliefs on.

Having recently purchased a phone with a high refresh display, I won't be going back; it's so, so much better on the eyes. High resolution is less of an issue, 1080p I'd say is good enough for 6.5", if I went up to 7" I'd probably want to boost up to 1440p (depending on battery drain).

As for the battery comment, you have a phone with a lower mid range processor, large battery, and low resolution screen; your battery is going to last a lot longer than people with more powerful devices.

All you're telling me is that going high refresh/high res/more powerful is actually worse (which is the belief I've held all along). Also, this is the first smartphone I've bought. I've used ones before so yes I can judge. I don't exist in a vacuum where I've never experienced anything else before. As well, my old tablet has a 2k screen, my mums has a 1280x800 at the same size. The only thing that I can tell the difference between the two is that mine has better colours since it's an AMOLED vs her TFT.

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

LOl at this screen size no one could tell the difference between 720p and 4K. So useless...

When i set my screen to 720p to save battery there is literally no difference in sharpness compared to the native 1440p when i look at my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Good brightness and thus decent HDR is another story. That's a nice-to-have. Not these ridiculously high-def screens.

Well I can personally tell the difference in sharpness between 720p and 1080p on a phone and there's no way I would go back to 720p.

With that said, Sony forgot how to make phones ten years ago and they don't expect to sell more of them anyway so I would say 4K is more like a proof of concept or something like that. The only goal here is to be present on the smartphone market.

8 minutes ago, bit said:

All you're telling me is that going high refresh/high res/more powerful is actually worse (which is the belief I've held all along). Also, this is the first smartphone I've bought. I've used ones before so yes I can judge. I don't exist in a vacuum where I've never experienced anything else before. As well, my old tablet has a 2k screen, my mums has a 1280x800 at the same size. The only thing that I can tell the difference between the two is that mine has better colours since it's an AMOLED vs her TFT.

Everyone's eyes are different, so that's possible, but for those with better vision the difference is pretty impactful between a low resolution like 720p and a higher one. Especially on a large device like a tablet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 hours ago, IntMD said:

Swings and roundabouts though, I've mostly had Sony phones, and they've been excellent. Had the touch sensor go dodgy on one of them but got it replaced under warranty & I managed to crack the screen on another and got it replaced by Sony for a reasonable price in the UK. The Galaxy and other phones I had, all had problems with software, cameras going bad etc. Of my friends who have a relatively even mix of Sony & Samsung phones, they Galaxys have had to have way more screens replaced and have had various other problems, whereas apart from my problems above and one phone being dodgy from the start and my friend just complaining about it instead of getting it fixed there have been no problems.

For you, that was your experience, it is not the same as others have.

Sony doesn't have the greatest support network in North America. It's actually fairly hard to get parts and service in North America for a Sony phone as few repair shops will touch them because they are fairly rare phones.

Samsung on the other hand, is fairly easy to get service and repairs; I can even order the parts directly from them myself. And there are plenty of third party shops that can work on them as well.

* can it be rooted / TWRP installed / custom firmware installed?

* can the battery be easily removed, as we could in the past very commonly?

* does it come with warnings about 5G and cellular in general?

If not, this is not a high-performance phone.

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

Are you an English speaker? The higher resolution screens have more benefit if you're reading more ornate languages. Mind you that's more 1440p, I don't know if 4k really has that much of an improvement over 1440p.

I can promise you, that there are few people going to notice the difference between 405ppi and 600ppi... Yes, even when reading more "ornate" languages...

For perspective, a 4k 27-inch monitor (that is a small display for a 4k panel) sits around 163ppi. So if smaller 4k monitors are sufficient for reading more "ornate" languages, it follows that 1080p phone screens are sufficient given that they have more than 2x the pixel density. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

10 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I can promise you, that there are few people going to notice the difference between 405ppi and 600ppi... Yes, even when reading more "ornate" languages...

For perspective, a 4k 27-inch monitor (that is a small display for a 4k panel) sits around 163ppi. So if smaller 4k monitors are sufficient for reading more "ornate" languages, it follows that 1080p phone screens are sufficient given that they have more than 2x the pixel density. 

Difference being size of the text. Having a much, much larger screen makes it easier to read because it's simply larger.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

25 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Difference being size of the text. Having a much, much larger screen makes it easier to read because it's simply larger.

You did not mention size of screen in your original response to me, this is just now being mentioned. Also, I do not understand the relevancy of this point to our discussion on smartphone screen resolution. 

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

I think they're actually at a historic low for smartphone shipments. They've thinned down the number of models they offer, which is why they're finally seeing profit, but their sales are...abysmal to say the least. Holding only 10% in your home market is also very telling, especially when compared to Apple and Samsung.

I mean Apple at a point almost held 90% of Japan's market share and in 2019, they did hold 70-80% of Japan's mobile market share. Android has always struggled in Japan so arguably, it's not exactly fair to compare it other countries as since 2010 (if not earlier), Apple has held a majority market share. Anyway, in Europe and Japan, Sony's total market share is still on a upwards trend so even with a historic low of shipments (their 2020 Q1, 2 and 3 numbers have been horrible), it's still a good start as at least they are enticing people to buy their phones in these two (specific) markets. I mean Sony Xperia devices are stocked at very single major retailer that sells tech in the UK so it definitely could be wayyyyy worse. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

$1199

N O P E

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Fun fact: I Opted for a lower resolution on my S20 in favor of the higher fresh rate. With the size of phones, anything above 1080p/1440p is a huge waste.

23 hours ago, unsorted said:

* can it be rooted / TWRP installed / custom firmware installed?

* can the battery be easily removed, as we could in the past very commonly?

* does it come with warnings about 5G and cellular in general?

If not, this is not a high-performance phone.

Sony's software from my experience is generally very good; their version of Android is more stock than most, and includes some Sony specific tweaks and software. And their software updates is pretty good, with fairly quick updates.

Honestly who at Sony is coming up with these names for the Xperia lineup lately? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

20 hours ago, Orangeator said:

You did not mention size of screen in your original response to me, this is just now being mentioned. Also, I do not understand the relevancy of this point to our discussion on smartphone screen resolution. 

Higher resolutions on smaller screens make more ornate text easier to read. Would have thought that was rather obvious.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 12/29/2020 at 12:43 PM, williamcll said:

Also running the snapdragon 888, the upcoming sony phone continues to have the best singular monitor among all current phones.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-Xperia-1-III-alleged-specs-and-price-leaked-5G-smartphone-with-Snapdragon-888-and-6-5-inch-4K-OLED-for-US-1-199.512352.0.html

Thoughts: While true that Sony has released 4K phones in recent years, it struggles to put the screen into full use especially in games, perhaps with the new chipset there might just be enough juice to deliver. The price however is bit too much for me however.

First of all 4k on a phone is a useless gimmick. Second, what's with the title of your post? Unless the phone has receiver built into it, you should not call it a television.

6 hours ago, ThePointblank said:

Sony's software from my experience is generally very good; their version of Android is more stock than most, and includes some Sony specific tweaks and software. And their software updates is pretty good, with fairly quick updates.

Oh that's nice to know, but I don't care for (or trust) updates at all. They are sold to the masses as security but that's a joke to me. I remove all the Google and device manufacturer stuff (including Play Store). I source from f-droid.org, mainly. Same goes for update checks: all removed. Even old devices can run extremely well with all the spyware removed. A plus is the older stuff also have removable batteries.

On 12/30/2020 at 6:13 AM, handymanshandle said:

Tell me, what's the point of a 6.5 inch 2160p display? 

I would if I knew.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

6 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Honestly who at Sony is coming up with these names for the Xperia lineup lately? 

Atleast its better than going to like Sony Xperia 1X or something.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

On 12/31/2020 at 9:39 PM, dizmo said:

Higher resolutions on smaller screens make more ornate text easier to read. Would have thought that was rather obvious.

Yes, my point was that the difference of 400+ PPI vs. 600 PPI on a smartphone will not make a discernable difference on that type of text...