A high performance mini television in your pocket - new Sony Flagship phone leaks

williamcll

Also running the snapdragon 888, the upcoming sony phone continues to have the best singular monitor among all current phones.

On top of a first-class chipset and probably stunning display (apparently 15% brighter now), the Sony Xperia 1 III should offer 8 GB RAM and 256 GB storage, although other configurations might be made available. As mentioned above, 5G is supported, and the next Xperia 1 will also be IP65/IP68 water and dust resistant according to the leak source. The fingerprint sensor will be fitted into the side of the smartphone, but the camera equipment is still a mystery. However, once again being Sony you could bet that the lenses will be of a very high standard.

Predictions from a separate source state up to 512 GB storage, a 5,000-mAh battery, and 650+ ppi display. There’s no denying this potential Sony Xperia 1 III has the potential to be a terrific purchase, but the price tag is yet again supposedly over US$1,000, which is a sharp contrast to the admittedly domestic prices of the Xiaomi Mi 11. At US$1,199, the Xperia 1 III will really have to perform, but at least the price tag hasn’t rocketed as the Xperia 1 II was launched at the same price point.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-Xperia-1-III-alleged-specs-and-price-leaked-5G-smartphone-with-Snapdragon-888-and-6-5-inch-4K-OLED-for-US-1-199.512352.0.html

Thoughts: While true that Sony has released 4K phones in recent years, it struggles to put the screen into full use especially in games, perhaps with the new chipset there might just be enough juice to deliver. The price however is bit too much for me however.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Cool I guess but realistically it's going to be hard to tell the difference between 1080/1440p and 4k at such a screen size. I feel like you'd really have to squint at the phone to tell the difference.

tbh i usually struggle to see a lot of difference between my 7 year old phone and new ones but my eyes are kinda bad so lol

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

tbh i usually struggle to see a lot of difference between my 7 year old phone and new ones but my eyes are kinda bad so lol

11 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Cool I guess but realistically it's going to be hard to tell the difference between 1080/1440p and 4k at such a screen size. I feel like you'd really have to squint at the phone to tell the difference.

Couldn't agree more. On a 27in or bigger monitor/TV 4K is a fantastic upgrade but that same upgrade on say a laptop with a 15 or 17in screen the results are noticeable but not as dramatic. On a phone however your PPI is already far surpassing a 4k laptop. So a phone with a 4k display I feel like that is there only for the spec sheet lol. A 6.5inch screen @1440p is still higher pixel density than a 17inch 4k display...

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

1 hour ago, trag1c said:

A 6.5inch screen @1440p is still higher pixel density than a 17inch 4k display...

That's the only thing interesting about this article, the screen. A 6.5inch 4K OLED.

Depending on refresh rate, that's something that could make its way to the next gen VR. Problem is, good luck finding GPUs (plural) to drive them.

I'm very interested to see their new flagship. I just also want to see them add 120Hz and faster charging too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'll never understand the point of putting super high res displays on such tiny devices. There's next to no benefits to it past a certain point. All it does is consume more GPU power, draining the battery faster, to render all those pixels.

It's 677 PPI... It becomes "retina" at 5 inch from your eyes. You can't even focus on it that from that close. 1440p would've been plenty.

This is still relevant:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Murasaki said:

I left at 6.5'', stop it with these bricks.

They say the Xperia compact is making a comeback.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, emosun said:

I feel as though most smart phones 2010 and newer could be described as a mini television. Although it's weird because television is like almost dead these days

Television viewership has increased over time, mostly along with population growth. It nowhere remotely close to being dead. Netflix alone has something like 78 million subscribers in the US... Then go factor in the 100+ million households with traditional cable, the millions with OTA antennas and all other forms of streaming. Just about every individual in the US watches TV one way or another.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Imagine spending more for a harder resolution to drive, impacting performance and power consumption. And you cant even see the difference from 1440p

I honestly dont get the reason people want high refresh and high res displays in their phones. Maybe it's cus I literally just picked up my first smartphone ever (moto g fast) and it basically has a 720p display, I read a review that was like "you can see the pixels" but I don't know what kind of microscope they were using since I don't see any pixels at all. The only time I can notice that it's 720p is when I'm watching something on youtube and only if I'm holding it within like.... 6 inches of my face. 

I also dont get how y'all have to charge your phone everyday, how much are you using it? The only way I have to charge this every day is if I purposefully sit down and watch something/play games for hours and hours on end.

4 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Television viewership has increased over time, mostly along with population growth. It nowhere remotely close to being dead. Netflix alone has something like 78 million subscribers in the US... Then go factor in the 100+ million households with traditional cable, the millions with OTA antennas and all other forms of streaming. Just about every individual in the US watches TV one way or another.

i disagree but am not gonna draw out any sort of confrontation

Sad that the xperia phones aren't more popular.

I've always preferred their design over the current "all screen all the time". I like the top and bottom bezels.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It’s 4K for ants 🐜 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I own a Galaxy S20 FE which has a 6.5" 1080p display... and it looks phenomenal. I see no use of a higher resolution display on such a small screen.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

As someone who has gone from a Sony Xperia XZ Premium to a Samsung Galaxy S20+, I can't say I'd missed the 4K display that much. I appreciate the faster refresh rate of my Samsung phone as it made the phone feel much more responsive.

The big knock against Sony is their lackluster build quality, which is the reason why I had to switch; I had both a defective screen AND a bad USB port within a span of a year after the warranty was over, and I tend to baby my phones. Coupled with very poor technical support and a general lack of availability of parts and service just made it easier for me to toss it and get another phone.

1 hour ago, ThePointblank said:

As someone who has gone from a Sony Xperia XZ Premium to a Samsung Galaxy S20+, I can't say I'd missed the 4K display that much. I appreciate the faster refresh rate of my Samsung phone as it made the phone feel much more responsive.

The big knock against Sony is their lackluster build quality, which is the reason why I had to switch; I had both a defective screen AND a bad USB port within a span of a year after the warranty was over, and I tend to baby my phones. Coupled with very poor technical support and a general lack of availability of parts and service just made it easier for me to toss it and get another phone.

Swings and roundabouts though, I've mostly had Sony phones, and they've been excellent. Had the touch sensor go dodgy on one of them but got it replaced under warranty & I managed to crack the screen on another and got it replaced by Sony for a reasonable price in the UK. The Galaxy and other phones I had, all had problems with software, cameras going bad etc. Of my friends who have a relatively even mix of Sony & Samsung phones, they Galaxys have had to have way more screens replaced and have had various other problems, whereas apart from my problems above and one phone being dodgy from the start and my friend just complaining about it instead of getting it fixed there have been no problems.

For you, that was your experience, it is not the same as others have.

LOl at this screen size no one could tell the difference between 720p and 4K. So useless...

When i set my screen to 720p to save battery there is literally no difference in sharpness compared to the native 1440p when i look at my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Good brightness and thus decent HDR is another story. That's a nice-to-have. Not these ridiculously high-def screens.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Sounds like it would make for a good VR display. Assuming it's still pentile instead of RGB stripe though.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

LOl at this screen size no one could tell the difference between 720p and 4K. So useless...

When i set my screen to 720p to save battery there is literally no difference in sharpness compared to the native 1440p when i look at my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Good brightness and thus decent HDR is another story. That's a nice-to-have. Not these ridiculously high-def screens.

Don’t really see the point in HDR on phones either though. How often do you watch a film on your phone? 

I hope you paid for that bread.

15 hours ago, Arika S said:

Sad that the xperia phones aren't more popular.

To be fair, Xperia phones are making a bit of a comeback (at least here in the UK, where in 2017 they held third place for smartphone market share). With Sony dropping the Xperia 1/5 II pricing to £700/600 during Black Friday, quite a few stores actually sold out all of their 5 II stock so the Xperia 1/5/10 series are actually slowly dragging them back to the table. I mean market share wise as of now, they're 6th (in the UK, 7th in Europe), which is about on-par with Motorola/Xiaomi so they're doing okay on this side of the pond. Also, they still do hold almost 10% market share in Japan and is the second largest (Samsung is at 6%) so they could be a lot less popular.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Oy. Why. 1440p is probably the cap I'd go for in a mobile device like a phone. 4k just seems completely unnecessary. There are so many more things they could have aimed at seeking to improve, instead of asking for 4k displays. Sony really seems to love their niche devices, and I'm not sure why they stick to it. Their hardware is well made. If they made more "normal" devices, they'd likely see much better sales than they currently do. Their 5ii (I think it was) was a great device, aside from the 21:9 aspect ratio and high price.

On 12/29/2020 at 5:04 AM, emosun said:

I feel as though most smart phones 2010 and newer could be described as a mini television. Although it's weird because television is like almost dead these days

I don't think that's really true. Cable, for sure, but the television is still alive and well. It's the only way you can comfortably watch movies and other things with a group of more than 2.

On 12/29/2020 at 9:26 AM, gabrielcarvfer said:

I hope they fixed the camera and kept the headphone jack + camera button.

The camera on the last one wasn't bad, it's just directed more towards the professional market.

21 hours ago, bit said:

I honestly dont get the reason people want high refresh and high res displays in their phones. Maybe it's cus I literally just picked up my first smartphone ever (moto g fast) and it basically has a 720p display, I read a review that was like "you can see the pixels" but I don't know what kind of microscope they were using since I don't see any pixels at all. The only time I can notice that it's 720p is when I'm watching something on youtube and only if I'm holding it within like.... 6 inches of my face. 

I also dont get how y'all have to charge your phone everyday, how much are you using it? The only way I have to charge this every day is if I purposefully sit down and watch something/play games for hours and hours on end.

Since you haven't experienced anything else, I'm not sure how you can draw any conclusions. You have nothing to base your beliefs on.

Having recently purchased a phone with a high refresh display, I won't be going back; it's so, so much better on the eyes. High resolution is less of an issue, 1080p I'd say is good enough for 6.5", if I went up to 7" I'd probably want to boost up to 1440p (depending on battery drain).

As for the battery comment, you have a phone with a lower mid range processor, large battery, and low resolution screen; your battery is going to last a lot longer than people with more powerful devices.

15 hours ago, Orangeator said:

I own a Galaxy S20 FE which has a 6.5" 1080p display... and it looks phenomenal. I see no use of a higher resolution display on such a small screen.

Are you an English speaker? The higher resolution screens have more benefit if you're reading more ornate languages. Mind you that's more 1440p, I don't know if 4k really has that much of an improvement over 1440p.

8 hours ago, IntMD said:

Swings and roundabouts though, I've mostly had Sony phones, and they've been excellent. Had the touch sensor go dodgy on one of them but got it replaced under warranty & I managed to crack the screen on another and got it replaced by Sony for a reasonable price in the UK. The Galaxy and other phones I had, all had problems with software, cameras going bad etc. Of my friends who have a relatively even mix of Sony & Samsung phones, they Galaxys have had to have way more screens replaced and have had various other problems, whereas apart from my problems above and one phone being dodgy from the start and my friend just complaining about it instead of getting it fixed there have been no problems.

For you, that was your experience, it is not the same as others have.

I've owned tons of Samsungs and have never had a problem. My friend has owned almost exclusively Sony, and he's had a phone or two die. So, it's really not that useful to state such small facts ;)

7 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

That's simply not true. To your eyes, perhaps, but I can definitely tell a difference going from 720p to 1440p.

3 hours ago, And Im Javert said:

Don’t really see the point in HDR on phones either though. How often do you watch a film on your phone? 

A lot of people, a lot of the time. Also, it helps when viewing HDR photos.

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

To be fair, Xperia phones are making a bit of a comeback (at least here in the UK, where in 2017 they held third place for smartphone market share). With Sony dropping the Xperia 1/5 II pricing to £700/600 during Black Friday, quite a few stores actually sold out all of their 5 II stock so the Xperia 1/5/10 series are actually slowly dragging them back to the table. I mean market share wise as of now, they're 6th (in the UK, 7th in Europe), which is about on-par with Motorola/Xiaomi so they're doing okay on this side of the pond. Also, they still do hold almost 10% market share in Japan and is the second largest (Samsung is at 6%) so they could be a lot less popular.

I think they're actually at a historic low for smartphone shipments. They've thinned down the number of models they offer, which is why they're finally seeing profit, but their sales are...abysmal to say the least. Holding only 10% in your home market is also very telling, especially when compared to Apple and Samsung.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red