Xiaomi has announced MIUI 12.5

Summary

Xiaomi has announced MIUI 12.5 with new features such as more natural notification sounds, better memory management which will reduce memory usage by 20%, MIUI+ and Xiaomi are adding more dynamic wallpapers users can pick from in this release. This update will be available for the Mi 10 series, Redmi K30 series, Redmi K20 series, Redmi Note 9, Mi 10 Lite, Redmi 10X series, Xiaomi CC 9e/CC9, and Redmi Note 7 series in January as a public beta and the Mi 11, Mi 10, and Mi 10 Ultra/Pro will receive the update in April. 

Nzf4HdH8HD3Dz4ftffvXAo-970-80.jpg.webp

Quotes

The new skin update also brings a new feature called MIUI+ which enables to mirror your phone to a Windows PC.

My thoughts

This is quite a minor release on MIUI but it will still be good for Xiaomi users, especially ones with low end phones, who need all the extra performance they can get

Sources

https://www.techradar.com/news/miui-12-5-features-devices-list

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I haven't even considered Xiaomi since i found out their os had ads.

Dealbreaker.

you can disable them if you want

1 minute ago, ZuppaSalata said:

you can disable them if you want

You can disable them at the moment. Once that line is crossed, I woudln't have trust in this remaining the case forever.

I have xiomi redmni note 7.It was excellent smartphone,with everything i need,and their open software thing that allows you to use google pixel software for camera is great.

But in the last month of me using it ads were growing as crazy.Then i learned about how Xiaomi collects data for Chinese goverment i think it was,so i said fuck that,and switched to Iphone

8 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Low price results in other ways of income. Just like adware or free-to-play games.

my phone budget was £200 when I was looking for a phone but after seeing Xiaomi and realising how true that statement is, it made me end up spending £700 on a phone.

6 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

my phone budget was £200 when I was looking for a phone but after seeing Xiaomi and realising how true that statement is, it made me end up spending £700 on a phone.

Sorry to say this, but you've wasted your money mate. Samsung and Motorola have some very good offerings in the £200 range which don't have baked-in ads.

As for the actual topic of discussion - the only thing notable in my opinion is the improvements to memory management. The built in notification sounds I don't care about as it's trivial to download new ones, and I absolutely bloody hate dynamic wallpapers...

Wait a moment... my phone's a Lenovo, why the hell do I even care about this?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

45 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Dealbreaker.

You can unlock your bootloader and flash a custom rom! 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

I have xiomi redmni note 7.It was excellent smartphone,with everything i need,and their open software thing that allows you to use google pixel software for camera is great.

But in the last month of me using it ads were growing as crazy.Then i learned about how Xiaomi collects data for Chinese goverment i think it was,so i said fuck that,and switched to Iphone

I have been using a xiaomi phone for the last 3 years and ads never bothered me. They only show them in rare occasions and they have to compensate the low price of the phone in someway

15 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

You could have got a Google Pixel 4a or OnePlus Nord, which are much cheaper phones

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Sorry to say this, but you've wasted your money mate. Samsung and Motorola have some very good offerings in the £200 range which don't have baked-in ads.

It was among other things.

I got an Oneplus 7T Pro now which i cant lie thank god i got, i love it.

3 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I got an Oneplus 7T Pro now which i cant lie thank god i got, i love it.

I got a OnePlus Nord and it is great for the price.

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

I got a OnePlus Nord and it is great for the price.

I hate that hole punch cam. Ewwwwwwwwwww sorry. Next phone I get is when In screen cameras are a thing.

Just now, The Torrent said:

I hate that hole punch cam. Ewwwwwwwwwww sorry. Next phone I get is when In screen cameras are a thing.

Ok I do not care about the punch hole really and it takes great photos so hey

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZuppaSalata said:

I have been using a xiaomi phone for the last 3 years and ads never bothered me. They only show them in rare occasions and they have to compensate the low price of the phone in someway

Yea thats true,i read that they made 5 dollars only per unit sold,which is nothing,but still using phone and getting ads its a deal breaker for me

2 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

Yea thats true,i read that they made 5 dollars only per unit sold,which is nothing,but still using phone and getting ads its a deal breaker for me

Why don't you just flash a custom rom on one then? That would get rid of the ads

Spoiler

Just now, Sandro Linux said:

Why don't you just flash a custom rom on one then? That would get rid of the ads

I didnt want to bother honestly,i got that phone for a 100 euros,2 weeks old,it was supposed to be replacemnt phone for me,but i loved it so much that i kept it for more then a year,but my phone contract expired and got nice deal on Iphone 11 so i went with it.

3 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

Because flashing a custom rom isn't as easy as you make it seem to be, you're basically voiding your warranty and risking bricking your phone at the same time, not to mention that rooting an Android is becoming more and more difficult. There's risks involved that just aren't worth taking when you could just buy a different phone that just works.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

Because flashing a custom rom isn't as easy as you make it seem to be, you're basically voiding your warranty and risking bricking your phone at the same time, not to mention that rooting and Android is becoming more and more difficult. There's risks involved that just aren't worth taking when you could just buy a different phone that just works.

I have done it before on a lenovo phone and it was pretty easy. I just unlocked it bootloader using adb tools and got a custom recovery and flashed LineageOS using guidance found on the XDA-Developer website

Spoiler

Just now, Sandro Linux said:

I have done it before on a lenovo phone and it was pretty easy. I just unlocked it bootloader using adb tools and got a custom recovery and flashed LineageOS using guidance found on the XDA-Developer website

Lenovo != Xiaomi. Not all phone root and unlock the same, and regardless of phone you're still voiding your warranty and risking bricking your phone. Why buy a phone that you don't like just to mod it when you can buy a phone that has all the desirable features you want out of the box, and also has warranty without the risk of turning it into garbage. Not to mentions the disadvantages that come with running a flashed OS like the cameras will not look nearly as good due to the lack of image processing found in the stock camera app. You can't justify buying a phone with an OS littered with ads when you can just get a phone that doesn't have it to start with for the same price.

MIUI too bloat for me, gonna stick with Oneplus for now.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, The Torrent said:

Dealbreaker.

I'm using K20 for almost 2 years now and never ever had single ad

9 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

As for the actual topic of discussion - the only thing notable in my opinion is the improvements to memory management. The built in notification sounds I don't care about as it's trivial to download new ones, and I absolutely bloody hate dynamic wallpapers...

Wait a moment... my phone's a Lenovo, why the hell do I even care about this?

They actually have pretty good phones, probably quite similar or better than your Lenovo ;) 

Also, Motorola... Certainly a brand many people haven't heard a long time. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

On 12/29/2020 at 7:25 PM, Lakobrija said:

I'm using K20 for almost 2 years now and never ever had single ad

Ok, good for you! It might be that you are in a region where the ads do not exist

Spoiler