Found lost shipment of Nvidia GPUs

Acydtryp
Go to solution Solved by Random_Person1234,

This is literally fake news.

The original source, Geeknetic, is from Spain. December 28, the publishing date of the article, is like April Fools Day in Spain.

Summary

500,000 30 series cards found in shipping container, Nvidia admits they lost them.

Quotes

The RTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 are still hard to find. A shortage favored by strong demand, excessively long production cycles and the global pandemic, which does not make things easier. Good news however, since a South Korean port operator has just got hold of a lost shipment of 500,000 GeForce RTX 3000 cards!

My thoughts

Maybe now we can get our hands on one.

Sources

https://www.france24.news/en/2020/12/500000-graphics-cards-found-in-an-abandoned-container.html

Half a million cards, scooped up by scalpers to extort even more money the moment they go on sale 🙄

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

2 minutes ago, keysbeast said:

one shipping container would not fit 500,000  cards

Any idea how large a 40 ft sea-container actually is? Trust me, it fits... :P

FYI: said containers are 40x8x8ft inside. That's 640,000 cubic feet. A finished GPU takes about 1 cubic ft, but you'll need to take into account the packaging materials, so 500,000 is a credible number actually. (note: the final packaging into the box you buy is mostly done elsewhere. This saves considerably on moving air around)

17 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

FYI: said containers are 40x8x8ft inside. That's 640,000 cubic feet. A finished GPU takes about 1 cubic ft, but you'll need to take into account the packaging materials, so 500,000 is a credible number actually. (note: the final packaging into the box you buy is mostly done elsewhere. This saves considerably on moving air around)

Agreed. Usually they are in more compact packaging until they reach near destination where they put the units in retail packaging.

9 minutes ago, keysbeast said:

10 minutes ago, keysbeast said:

yes i do i used to hand unload 53" ones for a phantom fireworks i think its more like 50,000 would be the true number

16 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Without any packaging just the card itself, an Nvidia Founders Edition RTX3080 has dimensions of 285mm x 112mm x 40mm. 1.2768L or 0.0012768m3

A 40' shipping container has inside volume of 67m3 (67,000L)

Absolute best case scenario, no packaging whatsoever, no air gap between the cards, the cards fitting perfectly within the container... You realistically could not fit more than 50,000 cards in a 40' shipping container.

But you don't even need to know the volume/dimension to know that 500,000 graphics cards in a single shipping container isn't right. Just go by the weight of a card. I'm not sure how much an RTX3080 weighs. 1.5kg? 2kg? Let's pretend the card went on a diet and it only weighed 1kg. 500,000 cards would weigh 500 metric tonnes. Never going to hold that much weight in a shipping container. The crane at the docks would never even get it on to the ship. 40ft standard shipping container has a max payload of around 25,000kg.

My GTX1080ti retail packaging box has dimensions of 40cm x 24cm x 9cm, for a volume of 8.65L (0.00865m3). You could fit around 7,500 of those boxes in a standard 40' shipping container, which assuming around 2kg per box would put it around total payload weight of 15T, within the 25T payload limit for the container. Seems like a realistic figure.

Realistically there would be less than 10,000 graphics cards in a single 40' shipping container.

Also if it was 500,000 cards that went missing that would be 350 million dollars worth at MSRP. I'm sure Nvidia would go looking for that

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Pretty much guaranteed to be fake news, especially if they're saying it was only one container found.

An FE GTX 3080 weighs 2.7 pounds. 500,000 would weigh 1,350,000 lbs. The payload capacity of a shipping container? Around 61,000 pounds. So no. They didn't find 500,000 GPUs in a single container. Could it happen if it was just dies? Maybe. But then the person that "found them" wouldn't have known what they were.

37 minutes ago, keysbeast said:

Exactly. Not only by number, but by weight. I don't think anyone who thinks it can really thought about how many 500,000 cards is.

33 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Any idea how large a 40 ft sea-container actually is? Trust me, it fits... :P

I don't think you do, clearly.

27 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

No, it wouldn't. For many reasons.

9 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Agreed. Usually they are in more compact packaging until they reach near destination where they put the units in retail packaging.

Uh, no. While it could have been bulk orders, that's not how the article makes it sound. Also, if it was for retail, they don't package them outside of the factory later on.

Just now, gabrielcarvfer said:

Can't shipments be split into multiple containers, just like large mail orders can be split into multiple parcels?

Yes but that's not what the article states.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Can't shipments be split into multiple containers, just like large mail orders can be split into multiple parcels?

It could, but as per my estimations above that would need to be at least 50 containers that went missing.

The article in OP only mentions a single shipping container.

a port employee in South Korea, has unearthed a stray cargo of 500,000 GeForce RTX 3000 in a container.

To his surprise, the boxes were full of RTX 3080 ! Neither one nor two, Choi warns his superiors of his discovery. After investigation, it turns out that these 500,000 Nvidia graphics cards were placed in this container.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Oh, and the photo in the article of the shipping container with Nvidia branded boxes is fake. If you reverse image search the image you can find the original without the Nvidia branding. This image is showing on websites from over a year ago.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.38545cea6951fd964e3d3031f03ded57.png

The original source, Geeknetic, is from Spain. December 28, the publishing date of the article, is like April Fools Day in Spain.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Does anyone here know how logistics work? Yes? You're lying, just say no and it'll all be better. You couldn't ship half-a-million of just about anything that isn't money in a single shipping container. 

Plus the source article is fake anyways, so there ya go.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

OK, it's fake. I got bitten, not too big to admit that :P

4 minutes ago, James Evens said:

@handymanshandle So you ship container full of money around the world?

No, I'm a lowly package handler, not a Chinese money launderer whose tertiary living compound is north of Vancouver.

@SpottyWell 500K might be possible if they were just the GPU packages, not that I think from the pictures that this is all that likely.

His curiosity aroused, the employee (himself a player and waiting for an RTX 3080) decides to open a box. To his surprise, the boxes were full of RTX 3080 ! Neither one nor two, Choi warns his superiors of his discovery. After investigation, it turns out that these 500,000 Nvidia graphics cards were placed in this container. without proper documentation, after their manufacture in August by Samsung.

One thing I can tell you is that Samsung would not be shipping graphics cards, they are not the assembler, not even for the Founders Editions. So if it's origin was indeed Samsung it would only be a shipment of GPU packages, not graphics cards.

54 minutes ago, James Evens said:

So you are the underpaid guy packing the containers for the money launderer guy.

Opening one by one each scam letter and placing the money into a container.

H1Oy6.png

Following this discovery, Nvidia confessed to having lost these cards several months ago, without being able to get their hands on them.

Confessed where?

Not here, https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news

Not here either, https://twitter.com/nvidia?lang=en

Jeff Fisher, vice president of Nvidia and head of the GeForce division, said in a statement to the company’s shareholders.

That's not how it works...

The discovery also did a lot of good for shares of Nvidia, which began to rebound after several consecutive weeks of decline.

image.png.fa272ee1e09a79e22452a3e8de1d5777.png

No they didn't, Friday markets were closed and seeing a fall or a spike early Monday when markets open and pending orders get processed is not atypical.

Strike 3 you're out! 🙃 

1 hour ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Someone please mark this as the correct answer, because it 100% is. 

¡Que la inocencia les valga! :D

Lost my ass. Someone conveineintly "misplaced" it to jack up the availability and prices. Given the situation, one can't be sure if sellers in retails are not doing it. How hard is it anyways? Oh look, we got "only" 3 RTX 3080's. Here, for 1000-1200€. Oh noes, they are out of stock. A week later, 3 cards come up again. They make so much on these suddenly it's worth selling them at lower volume. I mean, they are essentially making pure profit of anywhere from 200 to 400€ with no worry they'll have the stock sitting there. Scalpers are a different thing coz they charge 1500-2000€ for RTX 3080. That's just out of touch...

3 hours ago, keysbeast said:

If they remove the charger and earpods from the box they can fit more

1 hour ago, DutchGuyTom said:

8'x8'x40' is 2560 cubic feet. I am surprised no one pointed this out.

This was my first thought? How do you get your math off by a factor of 200