Found lost shipment of Nvidia GPUs

Acydtryp
Go to solution Solved by Random_Person1234,

This is literally fake news.

The original source, Geeknetic, is from Spain. December 28, the publishing date of the article, is like April Fools Day in Spain.

Thread moved to Off-Topic to avoid any confusion of people thinking this is real news. Please do not post fake news, satire, pranks, etc in the Tech News subforum.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Just go by the weight of a card. I'm not sure how much an RTX3080 weighs. 1.5kg? 2kg? Let's pretend the card went on a diet and it only weighed 1kg. 500,000 cards would weigh 500 metric tonnes. Never going to hold that much weight in a shipping container. The crane at the docks would never even get it on to the ship. 40ft standard shipping container has a max payload of around 25,000kg.

My view on spotty will never be the same. How dare you he fat shame graphics cards like that. Unacceptable

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

2 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

My view on spotty will never be the same. How dare you he fat shame graphics cards like that. Unacceptable

I thought going with 1KG for the graphics card in my calculations was being kind. I don't know how much a Founders Edition 3080 or 3090 card weighs, but MSI lists the weight of their cards and net weight w/ packaging on their specifications sheet. 1.5KG for just the 3080 graphics card without packaging. Over 2KG with retail packaging.

image.png.616b58c4a1958415192bcbdae4b5f3ca.png

Graphics cards are thicc boys.

Though as Leadeater and JonnyGuru brought up if this news were real it could have been just the GPU die packages or unfinished boards then you could maybe fit 500k in a shipping container assuming minimal/no packaging material. Would also weigh a lot less as most of the weight in a graphics card is the cooler.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

This is obviously fake. When this first published, I could here scalpers keyboards mashing keys to verify this was fake and probably getting on all the forums to announce there findings. EBAY might have crashed with all the rescinded bids as well. LMFAO. But by now most regular people have verified it for themselves. 

It might have been more believable if it was AMD.

12 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Any idea how large a 40 ft sea-container actually is? Trust me, it fits... :P

The most common shipping container is 20 feet.  33.2 meters cubed.  A 3080 is 0.00222186627 meters cubed..  Do the math.. You can't fit 15,000 cards, let alone 500,000!

Actual # is 14,942, so even if you double that for a 40 footer, you're still nowhere close to 500k.

Totally fake news!

That's like at least 5 Dollars worth of GPUs 🤑

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I seen this late last night/early this morning (i.e. the midnight 'can't quite sleep, but too tired to be awake' circuit), and didn't even consider that they would be whole cards... As they were from Samsung, I had assumed they were the dies, as I would imagine you could fit about 200-ish per box, maybe stacked 20 per divider form sheet thing, 10 sheets per box. After that, I figured the news would be about someone getting fired for losing that much product. After all, we know businesses don't count BOM costs, or profit margins for losses, but product price losses.

I have the big dum. -_-

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

The crane at the docks would never even get it on to the ship. 40ft standard shipping container has a max payload of around 25,000kg.

Captain, we seem to have a very severe list to the port side... I think that's where NVidia loaded their shipping containers, sir...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

I thought going with 1KG for the graphics card in my calculations was being kind. I don't know how much a Founders Edition 3080 or 3090 card weighs, but MSI lists the weight of their cards and net weight w/ packaging on their specifications sheet. 1.5KG for just the 3080 graphics card without packaging. Over 2KG with retail packaging.

image.png.616b58c4a1958415192bcbdae4b5f3ca.png

Graphics cards are thicc boys.

Though as Leadeater and JonnyGuru brought up if this news were real it could have been just the GPU die packages or unfinished boards then you could maybe fit 500k in a shipping container assuming minimal/no packaging material. Would also weigh a lot less as most of the weight in a graphics card is the cooler.

I-

It was a joke. But I do love your calculations

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

3 hours ago, Sakuriru said:

So they really did make more than five of them. Heh...

Did you even read that it was fake?

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

1 minute ago, Sakuriru said:

The RTX 3000 series is fake???

Everything make sense now...

the sarcasm kills me, 30 series real, but 5th gen Radeon isnt.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down