Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

I actually made them all from scratch basing the measurements off of the actual parts themselves. If you're interested I can pass some of them onto you if you'd like?

And on build related news, I'm fed up with waiting for this ruddy plastic, it should only have taken a couple of days so this is ridiculous. I'm simply going to charge them back and go elsewhere. On a more positive note, I've heard from DPD that I should be receiving a package later today, should be rather exciting ;)

Do you order the parts and then just take measurements to model everything or have you found somewhere that actually has extremely detailed measurements for stuff available? If you were willing to share some of your parts that would be absolutely amazing, and I would much appreciate it.

Do you order the parts and then just take measurements to model everything or have you found somewhere that actually has extremely detailed measurements for stuff available? If you were willing to share some of your parts that would be absolutely amazing, and I would much appreciate it.

Depends on the parts really.  Many of them I ordered first, then directly measured using a set of digital calipers.  Other parts I was able to get the right dimensions from the manufacturers or other sites.  Any parts in particular that you'd be interested in?

UPDATE!

Well DPD managed to screw up my delivery today (first time they've ever failed me) and went to the wrong house, where of course nobody was in either.  It's happened with the postman before so I reckon I know which place they went to, this wouldn't have happened had the drivers not changed though.  Either way, that'll now be arriving tomorrow instead :sigh:

However, I managed to finish the GPU cables instead and also take care of the cable management.  The main lot of cables are basically done now, just SATA and fan ones left (oh and the pump).  I want to make sure that the back is nice and clean, cable wise.  I'm sick of wall mounted builds being effectively mullets, all business at the front and party at the back.  No this will be organised and neat everywhere.

QqfK3S.jpg

uIFf6t.jpg

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Maki just to throw a spanner into the works please add a dash of white+gold logo underneath the samsung drive branding. The orange square needs 100% go :)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Maki just to throw a spanner into the works please add a dash of white+gold logo underneath the samsung drive branding. The orange square needs 100% go :)

Sounds simple enough, I agree that it doesn't quite fit in.  Although to be fair it was originally going to be an Evo which has a more fitting square, this is just a spare 840 Pro.

Uh-oh, the orange on the SSD is ruining the gold and black. :P

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Wait.. I'm confused, how is the GPU connected? It's not plugged in..

PCI ribbon extender. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

100% of the people with autism, OCD or ADD wich suffer form detail madness agree.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

It's gorgeous :wub:

Want more :lol:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

If this doesn't win Build of the Year (@Slick @LinusTech *wink wink* *nudge nudge*) then I am giving up in life.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Depends on the parts really.  Many of them I ordered first, then directly measured using a set of digital calipers.  Other parts I was able to get the right dimensions from the manufacturers or other sites.  Any parts in particular that you'd be interested in?

I know this doesn't help you, but pretty much everything haha. I mean you have such detailed measurements and everything. I mean heck down to individual capacitor placements, I can't imagine people just make those dimensions available off of their website. Or are you taking product images and just taking scale measurements?

Like I said, I am designing a custom desk right now. That when done should hold two PC's (one workstation and one server) and have a lot of plans for the thing, but want to get them in inventor. I am really interested in your process and seeing basically any of the finished files you have in inventor so I can kinda tear into them and just see you the things you did were done.

Thanks! As was mentioned, the idea is that this can be mounted directly onto a wall, much like you might with a flat screen TV. Since I won't be needing to do that for a while, I'll make the actual wall mount a little later.

Fair enough, that sounds pretty awesome, thank you :) Seeing as I saw no signs of wall mounts, but instead a rather big case, I was thinking that maybe wall mounted referred to the way the motherboard was oriented or mounted. Thank you :)

Looking through build log after my weekly notification. Get to end.... DAMMIT HES NOT DONE YET!!!! Finish, please, I can't stand not seeing it in all its glory  

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

builds being effectively mullets, all business at the front and party at the back.  No this will be organised and neat everywhere.

Sig worthy.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

100% of the people with autism, OCD or ADD wich suffer form detail madness agree.

Well at least that's now deal with  ;)

If this doesn't win Build of the Year (@Slick @LinusTech *wink wink* *nudge nudge*) then I am giving up in life.

Haha now that would be something to behold, massively stiff competition mind, there have been some truly exceptional builds here over the last 12 months.

I know this doesn't help you, but pretty much everything haha. I mean you have such detailed measurements and everything. I mean heck down to individual capacitor placements, I can't imagine people just make those dimensions available off of their website. Or are you taking product images and just taking scale measurements?

Like I said, I am designing a custom desk right now. That when done should hold two PC's (one workstation and one server) and have a lot of plans for the thing, but want to get them in inventor. I am really interested in your process and seeing basically any of the finished files you have in inventor so I can kinda tear into them and just see you the things you did were done.

Tell you what, next time I'm on my rig where the models are stored, I'll zip them up and upload them for you.  I've shared them already through .stl files elsewhere so the actual Inventor ones are fine by me, after all, anybody can make a model of the same stuff with enough measurements, no point hoarding them to myself.

Looking through build log after my weekly notification. Get to end.... DAMMIT HES NOT DONE YET!!!! Finish, please, I can't stand not seeing it in all its glory  

Yeah yeah it's getting there.  It would probably be done by now had some of the materials I ordered arrived on time (or at all in one case), final stretch is feeling good though, love pushing out these rapid fire updates.

Sig worthy.

Hehe, had a few comments on OCN to that regard.  If one day I stumble upon somebody actually using it I'll be very surprised, yet pleased all the same.

UPDATE!

So by now I was hoping to be able to show off what was due on Friday, however, DPD had other plans.  Originally they delivered to the wrong address (how does this even happen??), I phoned up rather angrily and was told that if the driver couldn't turn around right away (I called within ~5 minutes of being told nobody was home, when I was...) then it would be redelivered on Saturday.  Well Saturday came, and then went, but no package.  Incensed, I sent a very angry email off to their customer services (since the phones weren't operated by humans at that time) demanding to know what had happened and why things weren't happening.  Many apologies later they said that it'll be delivered again on Monday before 12.  Fingers crossed that actually will be the case.

Failing that, I decided to address some little aesthetic issues, namely the PSU fan and the SSD enclosure.  I wasn't originally going to void the PSU warranty, but to hell with that.  Must say it wasn't easy masking off the SSD so that only the rim was visible for painting.

d4dRV2.jpg

FDl5Nv.jpg

After a bit of coaxing it popped right off
ACCnpX.jpg

I used a very thin coat, just enough to get even colour.  This won't be affecting performance any time soon.
nCCtK8.jpg

This took more time to mask than I'd care to admit
0LgAoY.jpg

7YiIsY.jpg

tMgzde.jpg

The attention to detail is amazing. You painted the chamfered edge of your ssd!

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The attention to detail is amazing. You painted the chamfered edge of your ssd!

Thanks, that's one of the reasons I love making a buildlog, people catch things that you may not have thought would be worth doing. I wouldn't have done the fan nor the SSD at all originally, but now they're finished, I'm really glad I did. Best of all, those were both community suggestions.

Niceeee.

Any plans to paint the rad?

Probably not, it's just a bit too big. If I were to paint it, I would choose matte black, which would be a little pointless. I may, however, paint one/all the fans to inject a little colour. The original render only had one fan painted, I'll do a test and see how things look, I have enough spare fans around to try a few combos.

Take the corsair sticker off that psu fan D:

Agreed. I always felt that the Corsair fans look waaaay better without the sticker.

Tell you what, next time I'm on my rig where the models are stored, I'll zip them up and upload them for you.  I've shared them already through .stl files elsewhere so the actual Inventor ones are fine by me, after all, anybody can make a model of the same stuff with enough measurements, no point hoarding them to myself.

I would really appreciate that, thanks a ton. Honestly, this is giving me a crazy idea for a website for this kinda thing. Have it host super-detailed inventor or sketch up files of components that are user submitted so that anyone looking to build a system with those components can go download them. I don't know how popular it would be, or if there would even be a want/need for it, but I may make it. I don't really know inventor, been working with it teaching myself for about 2 or 3 weeks now and know the basics, but web development, that is something I know and I could get that going.

Dude, you make this whole modding thing look easy, if not time consuming. Are you getting excited for the time when you are finally finished?

Take the corsair sticker off that psu fan D:

Agreed. I always felt that the Corsair fans look waaaay better without the sticker.

I dunno about this, on one hand I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time I can't help but feel the fan looked a little odd without the sticker. Since I removed it to paint the blades, I did consider whether I should out it back on, but looking at the fan, it just seemed like it was a bit... naked without it? Maybe I'll have another look at it today, see if I still feel the same way.

I would really appreciate that, thanks a ton. Honestly, this is giving me a crazy idea for a website for this kinda thing. Have it host super-detailed inventor or sketch up files of components that are user submitted so that anyone looking to build a system with those components can go download them. I don't know how popular it would be, or if there would even be a want/need for it, but I may make it. I don't really know inventor, been working with it teaching myself for about 2 or 3 weeks now and know the basics, but web development, that is something I know and I could get that going.

It's certainly an interesting prospect. There used to be a similar, pretty extensive repository for Sketchup models, although I'm not sure if the owner still operates it anymore. I guess the issue with Inventor files though is that it's not a particularly popular file type. Sketchup being free meant anybody could use it, Inventor is a bit tricker as you either need a cracked copy, a student license or the full package. And then you cctually need to know how to use it anyway, I can imagine many AI users will simply make their own models if they have access to the measurements.

Dude, you make this whole modding thing look easy, if not time consuming. Are you getting excited for the time when you are finally finished?

Haha well to be fair, much of it is easy, if a bit time consuming. Painting a fan, sleeving some cables, cutting some aluminium, most of it's pretty simple stuff. Still, I can't wait until the very final few days, if all goes well that may even be sometime over the next week. I'll have to see what I can do about final pictures though, got to be able to show this thing off properly eh?