Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

Bit of a myth really. The PSU itself is grounded, the entire case in unable to conduct anyway so can't provide contact. The motherboard is connected to the PSU directly via the 8 and 24 pins, the other components also.

Similar to the myth that a case is necessary for airflow reasons, sure it promotes airflow, but it's hardly a requirement.

Good to know. Wanted to put it out there since all cases still have it. Now I know. :P

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

You need some metal contact between the build and the PSU like in cases the metal notch on the back that makes direct contact with the PSU for grounding. 

been running my pc without grounding on my desk (mobo outside of its case because of modding reasons), no issues yet, i highly doubt there will be any

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

Just received a rather handy package, so hopefully will be updating with some very meaningful progress later today, keep your eyes peeled!

Will do.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Yay Update! Do you plan on doing that thing with the cables where in the mobo tray thing there is one hole for each individual cable which results in it being even more of a clean build?

-snip-

Sadly that wouldn't quite work, the closest you'd really be able to get would be electroplating or since this is aluminium, anodizing.  Even then, those are chemical/electrical processes rather than simply "infusing" the metal with dye.

-snips-

yeah, anodizing was what i kinda meant, altough i couldn't get the word at the moment <_< but i guess it is smarter to keep it back until the important things are done.

So keep going with the important parts and give us nosebleed :wub:  love it so far.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Will do.

Hopefully this lives up to some of the expectations I raised earlier.

Yay Update! Do you plan on doing that thing with the cables where in the mobo tray thing there is one hole for each individual cable which results in it being even more of a clean build?

I've actually gone a slightly different route.  The problem with that method is that you lose the ability to easily remove the cable, I also find that usually the spacing between individual cables is a bit too large, this is the same complaint I have about cable combs, they splay the sables out too much IMO.  I've decided to mount an extension into the plate itself, that way there'll still be the clean route, but it remains practical.

yeah, anodizing was what i kinda meant, altough i couldn't get the word at the moment <_< but i guess it is smarter to keep it back until the important things are done.

So keep going with the important parts and give us nosebleed :wub:  love it so far.

How about this for size then :P

MOAR UPDATE!?

Well we're within sight of the end everybody!  Today I received the Monsoon bending bits for the tubing (my old power cord trick won't work with the larger ID of this tubing) so soon will get on with that.  I fitted together all the parts minus cables and fans too.  It's beginning to look rather similar to the concept work now, something which should be even more pronounced with the cables in place.

Next on the list is the stand so that I can do the filling and tubing properly, along with the flight case and cables.  I'll need to pick up some more plastic for the stand so in the meantime I'll probably start on finishing all the wires.

Handy mandrel set
urdpjy.jpg

This little shim was the last part needed to mount the GPU, helps maintain even pressure across the card.
6omp85.jpg

Popped everything together, fits rather well.
AYFeMQ.jpg

VkWQU3.jpg

The PSU is already hooked up to that connector, an extension will be running from the motherboard to that rather than the PSU itself.  Should keep things very neat whilst also preserving functionality.
K4ezP9.jpg

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

NEAT!

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

:)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I'll bet you the build that I can fap to this

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

any plans for some sort of handles or whatever to lift it in/out of the flight case? or will the flight case be its home for now until you figure out wall mounting?

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

you are a brilliant man.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

keep em coming

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I went speechless after seeing the latest updates. 

My only word, gorgeous. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Fantastic job man, I wish I had the money to do such a build.

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

Holy actual ballz

[spoiler= My "gaming rig" ]

• CPU: Intel i5 2500
  • Motherboard: Asrock B75M-GL R2.0
  • RAM: 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Kingston, 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Transcend
  • GPU: MSI GTX 770 Gaming OC 2 GB
  • Case: Zalman Z3 plus white
  • Storage: WD Blue 500 GB, WD Black 1 TB
  • PSU: LC POWER 650W ATX v2.3 80+ bronze
  • Display(s): Acer V223HQ
  • Cooling: Scythe SCKTN-3000
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire TK MX blue
  • Mouse: Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse

sexy

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Thank you everybody for all the kind words!  Was rather surprised to log in today and find that the notification panel had gone mad   :lol:

That picture looks more like a render than your original render to me for some reason xD

Just wait until you see the final ones.  I'm going to try and replicate the exact angles and lighting as in the original renders, should hopefully look pretty similar.  Always fun to confuse people a bit :P

any plans for some sort of handles or whatever to lift it in/out of the flight case? or will the flight case be its home for now until you figure out wall mounting?

I did think about it, but I eventually arrived at the conclusion that you don't really need them.  The frame itself is thick and thin enough that it's easy to get a good grip.  Within the case itself there will be spacers that will raise the build above the bottom and keep it steady during transit.  I'll cut some notches into the foam so that it's easy to pick the thing up.

Fantastic job man, I wish I had the money to do such a build.

Always the case isn't it, been working on this for so long simply because I've had to spread payments carefully across the months.  That being said, it's definitely not an egregious build.  The total cost for this rig is probably going to be about the same as purely the GPUs in my main rig.  Still not going to score highly on the bang to buck ratio though.

Update-ish

Since I realised that the stand would be rather important (I'll definitely need it for filling and probably much of the cable work) I decided to see if I can get it out of the way as soon as I could.  Since I can't really afford to have this laser cut, I'll be doing it by hand instead, no biggie as it's a very simple design.  I've ordered the plastic, although it could take anything up to a week to arrive as my usual sit doesn't stock frosted black acrylic, my other source also only sells it by the sheet, which is a bit more than I need (not to mention expensive).  After figuring out the design, I whipped it into Inventor to make a quick 3D model to see how it would look.  Decided to render it up too so you guys can take a look.  I also decided to have a play around with the coolant type, seeing as how a fair few have asked to see what a pastel coolant would look like.  Seeing as how I have pastel concentrate and yellow dye already, I'll probably just try both in real life and make my mind up as to which looks better.  Must admit, from the renders the pastel does look really interesting (in a good way), would have to play around with it a fair bit to get just the right shade though.

It has the same kind of construction as the main body, being a sandwich of 10mm clear acrylic and 5mm frosted black on either side.

N3oFL4.png

Bit of an outdated 3D model now, but it'll do.

vKV6lw.png

zli35V.png

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

NOM

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Stop teasing!

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"