Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

How come you asked "Pictures?" then? Kinda confused. :huh:

I didn't i was saying "Pictures"

Steve

I didn't i was saying "Pictures"

Did I spell it wrong or something or were you just accentuating that there were pictures?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

So uh... Giveaway?

I want to win the CPU block so I can water cool my ft05!

Funny you should mention that, the reason I haven't done it yet is because the CPU block has been misplaced...

With all the Christmas festivities and whatnot a lot of stuff has been going on, not only at work but at home. I'm trying to find where it's disappeared to, but if I can't I'll instead order another one and send that one instead. Since not many people asked for it you have a decent chance at winning it rofl. If I don't find it by Thursday I'll grab another and announce the winner and send it to them directly from the site.

Actually, I don't think you showed a picture of that computer in it's natural habitat. Does it have one outside of the chest?Very nice either way.

Gah, I had actually been responding to this when my phone browser crashes and deleted my post. I've actually got a little Christmas update planned on that front. Over the last month or so I've been slowly upgrading my battlestation. Picked up some new desks, headphones, headphone amp, an external DAC and preamp and a new microphone. I also designed a headphone stand to go with it, the idea being my brother in New York would be able to 3D print it there for cheap. Sadly one of the printers was incorrectly set up so that it automatically mirrors components though, meaning he ended up printing two of the same side (it was cut in half so as to fit in the printer bay). Since he's now back in London he naturally doesn't have access to the printers anymore, printing it here would be prohibitively costly.

Here's a render though of the stand and the headphones I picked up, a pair of Beyerdynamic T90s. Again all modelled in Blender and AI and rendered in Blender using cycles:

9Xoxpo.jpg

@Maki Role are those pictures real on page 34 or 3D rendered? Can't tell. :unsure:

Hehe, as Laputacake mentioned, all the real deal actual photos.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Them beyerdynamics...the open backed Tesla technological goodness...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Funny you should mention that, the reason I haven't done it yet is because the CPU block has been misplaced...

With all the Christmas festivities and whatnot a lot of stuff has been going on, not only at work but at home. I'm trying to find where it's disappeared to, but if I can't I'll instead order another one and send that one instead. Since not many people asked for it you have a decent chance at winning it rofl. If I don't find it by Thursday I'll grab another and announce the winner and send it to them n

[u.

What site do you order the block from? If frozencpu.com, and I win,I can drive there and pick it up, it's 5 min from my house.

If I win I will change my build log from "the penetrator" to "the penetrator gets wet"

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Did I spell it wrong or something or were you just accentuating that there were pictures?

I was accentuating that they were pictures. :D

Steve

I was accentuating that they were pictures. :D

I see, now that makes sense. Good to know. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

THIS IS AMAZINGLY STUNNING WOW !

You are a god, but why didn't you paint the fans that cool the watercooling ?

With all the Christmas festivities and whatnot a lot of stuff has been going on, not only at work but at home. I'm trying to find where it's disappeared to, but if I can't I'll instead order another one and send that one instead. Since not many people asked for it you have a decent chance at winning it rofl. If I don't find it by Thursday I'll grab another and announce the winner and send it to them directly from the site.

Gah, I had actually been responding to this when my phone browser crashes and deleted my post. I've actually got a little Christmas update planned on that front. Over the last month or so I've been slowly upgrading my battlestation. Picked up some new desks, headphones, headphone amp, an external DAC and preamp and a new microphone. I also designed a headphone stand to go with it, the idea being my brother in New York would be able to 3D print it there for cheap. Sadly one of the printers was incorrectly set up so that it automatically mirrors components though, meaning he ended up printing two of the same side (it was cut in half so as to fit in the printer bay). Since he's now back in London he naturally doesn't have access to the printers anymore, printing it here would be prohibitively costly.

Here's a render though of the stand and the headphones I picked up, a pair of Beyerdynamic T90s. Again all modelled in Blender and AI and rendered in Blender using cycles:

Hehe, as Laputacake mentioned, all the real deal actual photos.

I get the impression that you've designed and built most the of the things that you may have in your home. :D

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I'm punching the like button in the face LIKE A BOSS!  As hard as I can't.  I can't even.  Congrats, well done!

• 2 weeks later...

@Maki Role: may I ask where did you get the 500mm long PCI-e extension cable? It's a 3M one if I'm correct. I've only found ones with crazy shipping charges in Europe. :(

so... find da CPU block yet?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

so... find da CPU block yet?

patience young padawan, holidays it is.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

patience young padawan, holidays it is.

Finally, someone else who appreciates Star Wars!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

Been following LTT for a while now, figured I should finally make an account in order to get involved with the community. As a bit of background, I'm a student from the UK with a passion for modding and watercooling in particular. Some of you may know me from reddit, where I'm an active member of /r/buildapc and a moderator at /r/watercooling, I'm also found on Bit-Tech under the same name. I haven't actually been modding for that long, I probably started seriously not more than a couple years back. Since then I've caught the bug and can't wait to launch into new projects the moment one is finished!

So to kick things off I thought I would share with you my current work in progress rig:

hnw1.jpg

The idea behind "Loramentum" was to make a rig that could be wall mounted but at the same time watercooled. The challenge comes from how I also wanted the rig to be portable so that it could be taken to LAN events and to/fro home and university. Naturally a simple mini-ITX rig in say an EVGA Hadron could have sufficed here, but I wanted to try something new and a bit more novel, at the expense of being a bit more portable.

The main construction itself is formed from a single piece of machined acrylic, which will not only provide the structure to the components, but also feature water channels for the coolant. Protection during transport will be provided by a flight case that I'll also be building.

Contents:

Update 1: Introduction and Renders

Update 2: Laser Cut Frame Lid

Update 3: Watercooling Care Package from EK

Update 4: O-rings, Wires and Braid

Update 5: GPU Blocks and Fractures

Update 6: Trial by Water

Update 7: Fans, Plugs and Dye

Update 8: Extenders, Extensions and Sharpies

Update 9: Corsair Dominator Platinum - Gold Edition

Update 10: Front panel cut

Update 11: GPU Bracket Started

Update 12: GPU Bracket Finished

Update 13: Flight Case Parts

Update 14: PSU Bracket and Pump Jacket

Update 15: Part assembly!

Update 16: Stand and Coolant Renders

Update 17: Flight Case Part 1

Update 18: Flight Case Part 2

Update 19: 24 Pin Sleeved... Again

Update 20: Flight Case Interior Work

Update 21: 8 Pin CPU Cable made and sleeved

Update 22: GPU Sleeved up and Cable Management

Update 23: PSU Fan and SSD Painting

Update 24: New Mechanical Keyboard and Stand Progress

Update 25: Stand Finished

Update 26: Smashed... Better start over

Update 27: New Block Design and 3D Model sharing!

Update 28: The Parts Still Work!

Update 29: New Block and Giveaway

Update 30: O-rings back in

Update 31: Block filled and tested

Update 32: Hardware Installed

Update 33: Tubing Added

Update 34: Coolant Added

Update 35: Finished!  Final Pics Here!

Update 36: Better Final Pics Here!  Ignore the previous ones

First up I'd like to thank EK Waterblocks who will be providing much of the watercooling equipment used in this build, I'd also like to thank Intel for sending me an i7 4770k to use in this build!

7kqb.jpg

So here's a hardware lowdown:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k

Motherboard: Asus Z87I-Pro

RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz

GPU: Asus AMD R9 290

PSU: Corsair RM650

Storage: Samsun Evo in some undecided size (likely 512GB)

Cooling:

CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clean Gold

GPU Block: EK-FC R9-290X Acetal

Radiator: XSPC EX360 Crossflow

Pump: Laing D5 Vario with EK Clean Pump Top

Fittings: EK HD Adapters

Tubing: EK rigid acrylic tubing 10/12mm

Fans: Undecided but I'm likely to go for Noiseblocker eloops as they look simply fantastic

Concept Renders:

These were made using a combination of Autodesk Inventor and Blender, with the renders themselves being done in Cycles within Blender. I find planning builds like this in 3D can be a great idea as it allows you to play with things like colour schemes and alternate parts very easily.

lu0b.jpg

dyxz.jpg

yci5.jpg

r1e3.jpg

21ci.jpg

jz4e.png

i4cm.png

pwd2.png

zg9t.png

3esn.png

For the case I've decided to go for the carbon vinyl look. Not only is it easier to work with, but most of the people I asked said they preferred it, which certainly works for me. I'm planning on having the RAM heatspreaders and GPU Plate/IO shield gold plated so that they match the theme. You'll notice from the renders that the reservoir is actually built into the structure itself, it's definitely one of the parts I'm most looking forward to finishing.

And now for some actual components!

4rqb.jpg

iux0.jpg

I know you've all seen it before, but damn I love the look of these sticks. Very different in person to how they appear in the promotional art though, the bars have much more texture to them, which is no bad thing.

6hwh.jpg

9uis.jpg

Dat box...

01iw.jpg

roqs.jpg

Sockets make for some cool macro shots.

eb0r.jpg

rm4b.jpg

And just for a laugh, this is where I'm keeping the components for now... Yeah I know, I don't think I've ever seen an emptier Phantom before.

96bq.jpg

And the award for the loudest stock component ever goes to the 290. I knew the stock cooler was pretty loud, but I was truly taken aback just by how much, it's insane.

mjyh.jpg

Here's the machined part after a few goes with some coarser grit sandpaper. I'll be slowly working my way up the grades, just need to order in some more of the high grit stuff first.

8pu6.jpg

ep7f.jpg

m5pw.jpg

Rough fitting session with the rad, pump and an old GTX 590. That card is monstrously sized, much larger than the 290 (or at least it feels it), thankfully the holes line up with the ports etc. on the 290.

kqup.jpg

Hope you all enjoy the project! I'm looking forward to being able to post more updates as well as getting involved with the awesome community here.

Excuse the swearing (hope I don't get a warning point for this) but...

HOLY SHIT! AND I THOUGHT THE BRIEFCASE TITAN BUILD IN PC PARTPICKER WAS ALREADY AWESOME, THIS ONE WINS HANDS DOWN! FUCKING AWESOME!

Excuse the swearing (hope I don't get a warning point for this) but...

HOLY SHIT! AND I THOUGHT THE BRIEFCASE TITAN BUILD IN PC PARTPICKER WAS ALREADY AWESOME, THIS ONE WINS HANDS DOWN! FUCKING AWESOME!

dude, did you really need to quote the whole post and keep it that way?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

dude, did you really need to quote the whole post and keep it that way?

He is the one who tries hard though...

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You know what?  I think it's about time for an update don't you?

Well I didn't want to end on purely pictures of the rig, how about some of it in use in a battlestation?

Over Christmas I was working on fixing up my peripherals, which had been lagging behind by quite a bit.  So I picked up an Asus PB279Q 4k IPS monitor, along with some Beyerdynamic T90 headphones.  To drive the cans, I also picked up a Schiit Modi DAC and Asgard II amplifier.  The stand I'm using is just a quick thing I made out of some left over 10mm polycarbonate, simple and effective.

Cmuxc2.jpg

gbrl1Q.jpg

gXrn80.jpg

4OrNVB.jpg

2dS9Nz.jpg

ExrH50.jpg

NFwLQY.jpg

ZAevMO.jpg

WXS3aO.jpg

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

The window for the other PC looks amazing. Also nice monitor stand. 

Kitty :D

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i spot some decent toolboxes, i wish i had those

also: wich of the 2 rigs is going to stay on that desk? the dewalt colors kinda match loramentum (on photo at least)

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

Might want to annoince the winner to the contest. They are very happy they won.

Why do you have a potato on the middle of your desk in front of your monitor?

You know what?  I think it's about time for an update don't you?

Well I didn't want to end on purely pictures of the rig, how about some of it in use in a battlestation?

Over Christmas I was working on fixing up my peripherals, which had been lagging behind by quite a bit.  So I picked up an Asus PB279Q 4k IPS monitor, along with some Beyerdynamic T90 headphones.  To drive the cans, I also picked up a Schiit Modi DAC and Asgard II amplifier.  The stand I'm using is just a quick thing I made out of some left over 10mm polycarbonate, simple and effective.

Nice cat :) what are you using 2 rigs for?

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715