From which Internet based service have you benefited the most ?

james_bond

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, Youtube?

From which Internet based service have you benefited the most ?

My vote goes to Youtube.

I have cancelled my Digital Cable subscription & at the moment I use Youtube to watch all kinds of content including the very same news channels which I used to watch using Digital Cable.

Thank God Youtube exists.

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

Gonna hide this, it could trigger people, but it's a positive thing. I just know that the 's' word (rhymes with uh mooicide?) can trigger all on it's own...

Spoiler

I used a suicide prevention chat service. It really helped me, even though at that time, it didn't feel like it right away. I also volunteered with a similar service a few years later, and that also helped me.

Besides that, uh... IRC? That got me some pretty cool friends... And Craigslist. I got my current job there. :P

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Going for Youtube as well. Haven't watched TV or other forms of "mainstream media" for years but a couple hours of YT every day.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Going for Youtube as well. Haven't watched TV or other forms of "mainstream media" for years but a couple hours of YT every day.

youtube is my new background music.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Like persistent internet service? I'd say Youtube holds the biggest "benefit" as it has incredibly diverse content, both entertaining and educational.

Outside of that, Plex isn't wholly an internet service but that's another one that's quite high for benefits. And I suppose most people have benefited from file-sharing; whether Napster, Kazaa, Morpheus, Limewire -> the creation of BitTorrent.

Google.

Of course having access to humanity's expensive wealth of knowledge at any time, is the thing that benefitted me the most over the years.

From looking up information to write in a dissertation, to simply checking if bumblebees can sting... Google, is great.

Then they bought Youtube and here we are today.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I got a couple. News sites (both traditional [reuters, ap are ones I usually go for] and more tech focused ones [anandtech, gn, etc.]), youtube (same reasons echoed here already), Discord (I've met awesome people on there, and am in awesome communities too). I'd even go as far as to say this forum. I've met great people here, and have found a sort of online purpose. It's a community I'm glad to fit in.

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

youtube is my new background music.

Technically same here since Google Play Music is dead and it's Youtube Music now 😅

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 12/25/2020 at 6:35 PM, james_bond said:

Thank God Youtube exists.

YouTube is my vote too. Despite the heavy censorship and ownership by Google, a filthy State Mafia spyware vendor.

I'll say both YouTube and podcasts for the same reason: long form, unedited discussion. It has been incredibly edifying to listen to serious psychological, philosophical, and theological discussions that aren't forced to be reduced to caricatures due to imposed time limits from traditional TV.

TV is like listening to a couple of pots banging together in comparison. The worst example of this was a political debate segment I saw a few years ago with 5 participants, and they allotted probably no more than 5 minutes for the entire segment. Well, what kind of debate can you actually expect to have when each person has about 1 minute to not only rebut someone else's argument, but present their own side as well? It predictably devolved into shouting, straw men, and pointlessness. It's no surprise that TV has become more and more absurd. You have such a limited time to make your point AND keep the viewer's attention, that you have to adopt over simplified, extremist caricatures of arguments in order to actually say anything at all. 

YouTube and podcasts allow for different sides to actually develop their point of view intelligently and seriously contend or engage with the other side. And for non-debate conversations, they allow for something of interest to actually be discussed instead of just hinted at. Even better, they can be listened to at any time, while being paused and replayed as desired. Lastly, they are often unedited, so that the full picture can be seen instead of the editor's idea.

For entertainment I'd say youtube for daily goofing and itunes for everything else so far.

I love buying just what I want to watch and not having to choose from a list that somebody else gives me.

There are all these different services everyone wants you to subscribe too but I think the real future of entertainment is just subscribing to the shows alone not the services.

Freedom in all things entertainment is the natural evolution I suspect and hope.

Otherwise it is just a repeat of what we've already had and that will get boring fast.

I also like this forum.

I'm still exploring the internet choices so I'm hoping I'll eventually find more that I like.

I'm a slow mover on this internet service stuff lol.

😁