Newegg sending fake cpus?

Brookler

So I've been scrolling through Twitter and saw this tweet below. Can't verify how legitamite this is but wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar from Newegg?

was it from newegg or from a newegg marketplace seller?

if its from a seller I wouldn't be surprised or if it was a returned item and they didn't check what they got inside.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Interesting... Will Newegg call this BS and claim they made that up, or will they refund/replace it...

They do say it was Sold and Shipped by Newegg, meaning not a third party seller.

In any case, they got a New one, dunno how and where they got it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

I just asked them if they by any chance might have gotten an already opened CPU (like a return or something).

The one he got sent...looks like a lapped socket 775 part.

8 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

I personally still don't believe that Newegg would do this, I mean, he has no proof that it actually happened

I guess pictures don't count as actual evidence, huh?

Could be that some dickhead bought that CPU, sent back some shit CPU and Newegg unknowingly and unwittingly sent the buyer that dodgy CPU. It's happened on Amazon before, don't see why it wouldn't happen on Newegg.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

10 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

I personally still don't believe that Newegg would do this, I mean, he has no proof that it actually happened

It could have happened, and yet still not be the fault of NewEgg (outside of minor incompetence anyway).

Example: Someone returned the i9 and put a C2D inside the box, and the employee accepting the return didn't thoroughly check the specific CPU.

But I'm not willing to jump on that bandwagon yet - I'm not convinced NewEgg willingly defrauded the guy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I guess pictures don't count as actual evidence, huh?

Could be that some dickhead bought that CPU, sent back some shit CPU and Newegg unknowingly and unwittingly sent the buyer that dodgy CPU. It's happened on Amazon before, don't see why it wouldn't happen on Newegg.

Well... what's to stop the guy from just... taking out that CPU and putting a C2D into the plastic tray and taking a picture?

A picture is evidence, but that doesn't mean it's incontrovertible evidence.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Well... what's to stop the guy from just... taking out that CPU and putting a C2D into the plastic tray and taking a picture?

A picture is evidence, but that doesn't mean it's incontrovertible evidence.

Of course, who's to say that it couldn't have been that? But at the same time, what does he have to gain from trying to shit on Newegg for his own benefit?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Hakemon said:

Getting two for the price of one.

Newegg require to send it back then they will going to ship him the new one. 

12 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

Right.  NewEgg sends him the real CPU, he swaps it for a fake and claims that NewEgg scammed him.  He sends the fake one back, and gets sent another real CPU.

true on that

Well, regardless of whether or not it's real, fake or newegg didn't properly check after accept a shoddy return... This sort of thing is why I usually film myself unpacking products when I receive them in the mail. To have video proof, without cut, that the product is fake or legitimate. This has actually helped me a few times in the past, especially with ebay sellers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

was it from newegg or from a newegg marketplace seller?

if its from a seller I wouldn't be surprised or if it was a returned item and they didn't check what they got inside.

why does it matter, legally, it was sold on newegg, newegg is responsible therfore. 

11 hours ago, Coolmaster said:

Probably a 3rd party seller on their site selling fake CPUs. I'm sure Newegg will replace/refund that guy.

will they though (if it were 3rd party)?  🤔

10 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

guess pictures don't count as actual evidence, huh?

actually, no they don't, not even at court, at least here... 

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

... nothing.......? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

28 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

why does it matter, legally, it was sold on newegg, newegg is responsible therfore.

its another marketplace like amazon, ebay ect. idk the legal side

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

16 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

, what does he have to gain from trying to shit on Newegg for his own benefit?

Clicks on his stream. He is a nobody who now has ltt forum talking about him. 

I bought an Open Box Stereo, from Newegg (sold/shipped), arrived in a beat up OEM box, with the previous owners return address label and RMA (issued by Newegg).  It had a blown amp (still) - so its not that I dont trust Newegg, its that I dont trust any Corporation from attempting shoddy business tactics hoping the consumers voice gets loss in the mass.

Imagine being that bro that received a CPU that was not the CPU you bought, brand new?  

Either way, when I addressed Newegg about this stereo they denied everything, until I read them off the previous owners address and return case number.  Then I received all their help, and extra offers to stfu about it ($100 gift card).

Shit happens, being a large store like Newegg requires onus on things like this when the recourse is public scrutiny which this person utilized to have his voice heard.  Newegg *didnt* have to do shit and us, masses, would have forgotten soon enough if they felt soon enough wouldnt hurt todays profits.

BTW I still shop at Newegg since that ordeal...fool me once...

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

5 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

Wait what?  If you buy fake merchandise at a flea market, do you mean the entire flea market is responsible?  No, the seller is, therefore the seller is responsible, not the store front itself.  They only helped you communicate to the seller, and use Newegg's billing system.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Depends honestly. 

If newegg makes it absolutely clear they have nothing to do with this and don't offer warranty / money back in case something is wrong, then they should not be held liable, if they don't do that - very clearly for any customer to see - then yes they should be held liable for what is being sold on their very own *store front*. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I bought an Open Box Stereo, from Newegg (sold/shipped), arrived in a beat up OEM box, with the previous owners return address label and RMA (issued by Newegg).  It had a blown amp (still) - so its not that I dont trust Newegg, its that I dont trust any Corporation from attempting shoddy business tactics hoping the consumers voice gets loss in the mass.

Let's be clear though - in all likelihood (speaking as someone who has worked multiple retail, including computer/electronics focused), it's not a "corporation attempting shoddy business tactics" - it's a lazy-ass fucking employee who's getting paid minimum wage and has no respect or dedication to his job.

Sometimes the Company is at some fault for not discouraging lazy employees, but in any large corporation it can sometimes be difficult to police. When the manager isn't looking, the guy doing returns might just chuck the box from "returns" pile into "restock" pile without even opening the box.

There's absolutely no way that NewEgg would intentionally tell employees to do this (again, not unless it's a shitty manager, but those happen anywhere).

Imagine being that bro that received a CPU that was not the CPU you bought, brand new?  

Assuming this is legit, yeah that would suck hard. It happens though sometimes - if it's legit, he just needs to contact NewEgg and get it sorted.

Either way, when I addressed Newegg about this stereo they denied everything, until I read them off the previous owners address and return case number.  Then I received all their help, and extra offers to stfu about it ($100 gift card).

To be fair - look at it from their perspective. They obviously need proof. With that in mind, there's a proper way to go about asking for proof. You don't be a dick to the customer unless they're being a dick to you first (or it's obvious they're trying to defraud the company).

Shit happens, being a large store like Newegg requires onus on things like this when the recourse is public scrutiny which this person utilized to have his voice heard.  Newegg *didnt* have to do shit and us, masses, would have forgotten soon enough if they felt soon enough wouldnt hurt todays profits.

BTW I still shop at Newegg since that ordeal...fool me once...

Every company makes mistakes now and then. Sometimes it's malicious - sometimes it's just a mistake. I tend not to hold it against them unless it's consistent or there are other issues with the business.

I think this story is B.S.

Even if it was from a third party, do you think they would jeopardize a business relationship for one CPU? I highly doubt it. Just running a scam and you guys are eating it right up.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

40 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

it's a lazy-ass fucking employee 

lazy employees

the manager isn't looking

the guy doing returns might just chuck the box from "returns" pile into "restock" pile without even opening the box.

it's a shitty manager

To be fair - look at it from their perspective.  (All was good till this line, no, I cant be fair given the above, my 2 copper coins - Tristerin)

issues with the business.  (sounds like there is an issue, potentially systemic, that was brought to light via social media that, without, would never have been brought to light.  Or its a person scamming, famous and infamous are the same word in the end depends who you root for)

Btw I dont care really that much, Im hopeful that this guy didnt scam Newegg and used social scrutiny to leverage his position.  But from my experience as a (you are a professional Customer Service Rep based on your descriptions) a Professional Buyer, scummy corporations exist, couple that with the described employees (your words, hell and mine) and then you get shit situations that require social scrutiny or they just get lost in the wood works.  I ONLY win my cases against Newegg because my bank loves me, and if I make a phone call they will reverse charges ask questions later.  Newegg knows this and in the end, its not that I get my way, its that I get what I paid for.  I dont care the issues they cause themselves personally.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case