Poll: What Content Do you Want to See from Linus Media Group

LinusTech

So I'm big on watching gaming vids on Youtube, but as far as reviews go, I feel that's mostly covered (as others have said). However, if you were to review games that were overlooked, or do lets plays, or in other words, do something game related that isn't saturated. Between Polygon, Rev3, Kotaku and IGN, there's a massive back catalogue of reviews. Revisiting these games makes some sense, since the reviews were made before DLC dropped, or patches were implemented. But again you'd have to have more of an edge than that for it to be entertaining. The whole Bug Blaster thing was hilarious, and frankly informative :P

In the end I'd love to see both of you get camera time on this new channel, whatever it ends up being. My vote goes to the Toys channel, even though my instinct told me I'd want games from you guys when you were first pitching the idea. It just seems more useful and fresh.

PS: I'm a long time subscriber, just signed up to the forum to voice my opinion on this ;) I'll take a line or two here to say thanks! I just built my first PC, an i5 750 ti "Titanfaller" and I spent the last months watching a lot of LTT and TQ vids so I went from knowing very little about PCs to knowing everything I needed to purchase parts and build one for the first time. So yea, thanks!

The Games idea is great, but since you are with multiple people @ linusmediagroup, I think the idea would be better with multiple opinions, maybe linus'opinion, maybe someone else. Or you could switch games, or both do a different game in a period of time.

About the toys idea: It's a fun idea, but I wouldn't make a separate channel about it. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but with the "handy tech under $100" -videos already and the fact that there isn't THAT much toys you could play with  without being classified as a pedofile, you might run out of ideas sooner than you think. 

I voted for both btw.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

liked the toy video much better than the game video.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It'd be great to do something else, some people don't seem to realize that there is more to life than tech stuff.  On the other hand, if Linus could learn to work with metal, he could make custom PC cases...I like fab videos :P

This "toy" is particularly sadistic and I cringed when you were killing that poor fly. If you really didn't want flies in 'wherever', keep that place clean and keep windows and doors closed during peak flies influx time.
If you are living in a place that has flies all the time,
A) You really don't know how to take precautions and/or B: You are probably not going to be able to afford "toys" like these anyway(forgive me for assuming this statement B. I could be wrong.).

I don't believe in killing something that you are not going to consume.
What kind of moral precedence does this set for people - "Kill the little guy and take pleasure doing so?" Atrocious!

Having said that there are way too many gaming channels on youtube, and I would choose toys all the way.

Linus, please don't make videos about "Toys" like these anymore. It's abhorring.

I'd like to see a bit of both, though with a focus on toys. For the gaming side, I'd be more interested in peripherals that add a lot to games (Oculus Rift, racing wheels and flight sticks, Steel Battalion for the original xbox, things like that)  vs just game reviews as there's already tons of those and I feel it'd just be another drop in the ocean. 

Would like to see both of you doing both topics, for example I am curious to see what Linus thinks of games and im sure Slick could find some cool toys.

Really I just miss the old unboxing style videos.  The toy video was great, that kind of video was why i subscribed in the first place.  There isn't enough of that anymore, where you just give your honest opinion on something. 10/10 would bang.

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

L I N U S - I am pretty sure that the reason why the mixed option is so popular is the fact that we like the entertaining part of you (maybe even more than than the tech part). I am one of those. That's why I really like the Linus on the NCIX videos and why I (and many more) subbed.

agree!

Mix would be nice!

But in the gaming one would cool to play the game while talking about it, that way you could show something specific that you liked or disliked

I honestly wouldn't know, all options seem fun/interesting to me, I am open for everything that happens afterwards I will see what I do and if it is worth watching it or not. So time will say what happens.

@LinusTech

i also recently tweeted you, mind to give a little response( twitter name: Brandon Smith or @BrandondS404)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

A suggestion for the gaming side of the channel: I would love to see some gameplay videos from you guys. I understand you may have a lot of work with all the other videos you are making, but a LMG playthrough of a game like CS:GO, Loadout or something similar would be awesome! You could do other things like game challenges (maybe doing speedruns of a section from a game and seeing who in LMG can get the highest score). I think that would be entertaining to watch!

I loved how spontaneous Linus' video seemed, and the whole thing was very downplayed, which I enjoyed. Slick's review was very nicely put together and very descriptive, and I would love to see some games covered that don't get much attention - you could do something like an indie game spotlight :) I would prefer to have a channel with both because I would get bored of seeing just one type of video the whole time...

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

No matter what becomes reality, i just gotto say that if Slick stops looking less tired in his future gaming videos that's be sweet, but beyond that ..  He's really quite good at it, and you can tell from his going into detail that he's a genuine gamer, and would be a welcome face to gaming reviewers for Youtube.

Linus on the other hand .. well, he seems to look presentable even when he's wearing worn out shirts, which was rather frequent back in the days when they did the WAN show from his kitchen and later on garage, and he's really quite hooked on toys, even odd one's like the bug-a-salt which struck Me as more utilitarian then most toys.. Anyway .. My vote went for a mixed channel.

I say make a channel that has everything that you guys want in it. Toys, gaming, vlogs, you guys screwing around in the office. Basically make a "fun" channel for you guys. And I mean put everything that you guys want. Don't be shy.

I want to see more Cops called on Linus for testing his toys outside and scaring his neighbors :-) HA HA HA HA

Yeah I'm all for a gaming channel but the shown pilot seems meh. Slick is a little flat and the overview aspect has already been done. It feels like an unboxing where he states what's in the game. It would be more captivating if Slick put more of his personality into it or did a different angle in regards to the game

Maybe have a channel(s), that focus on techy toys and games, or an more in depth tech channel, you show off the more advanced part of computing like installing windows on a raid config somthing like that. what to do when you're new hard drive isn't showing, stuff like that.

In my minde toys and games is the same thing so one channel. Techy toys and games, could be the name.

Okay; I'm going to be extremely blunt here, and say attempting to make a gaming channel will not go very far. I've already got just more than a handful of extremely successful gaming channels that I can name from just the top of my head. And countless others focused on just Gaming itself: Lets play's, challenges, etc.

I seriously think that you guys would benefit way more from creating a toy channel; from just that Bug-a-salt pilot I can guarantee I, and probably many others, would have hypothetically subscribed straight away; even If it wasn't a branch off LinusTechTips. Though whether that was because of the experience behind Linus's is a lot more in comparison to Slick is also debatable.

I Would Love to have a Games-Channel! or at least a mixed one!

in addition to that: YOU GOT A POWER GLOVE... HOW AWESOME

I don't know if I was biased in my decision (I don't especially like platformers), but the toy channel seemed more interesting this time. Although, that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy watching Slick talk about bargain bin games, and I wouldn't like the idea to die just from not liking the pilot.

That's why I'm voting for a mix between the two but with a focus on the toys, with videogames every other video (unless there's a sale).

P.S. - Linus' neighborhood must be really safe if he only managed to walk 3 blocks before someone called the police on him!

I am going to go a bit against the grain and encourage you to really think about not lumping video games in with toys.

The sad truth is that not everyone respects video games,  many people do only see them as toys for kids.  This is of course not true and gamers are fighting (and I would say winning) to gain acceptance as a reasonable adult hobby.  Video games are slowly being given more respect and being taken more seriously and being embraced by older and older fans, I don't think you are doing anyone any favors by lumping video games in with toys.  It is unfortunate, but I do think that a video game channel with out toys would appear more legitimate for lack of a better way to put it.  You can then more easily portray it as more than just toys for kids if it is not lumped in with "toys".  You would unfortunately confirmation of their preconceived negative opinions.  

That being said, your bug gun may actually be the right direction to go if you do blend them.  Expand the idea of "toys" to shall we say "useful things that are fun to use both properly and improperly" and expand the show to look at things like tools and gadgets.  Things like chainsaws and flame throwers are fun, useful, would be entertaining to see you play with, but push the limits of being called "toys".  If you had tools tossed in with your toys and video games, you can more easily argue it is more than toys/video game are not more "toys for kids" than chainsaws and flamethrowers.  Basically I could see you doing segments that are not that far off from Tool Time.  Maybe instead of toys think "things to be played with" which could pretty easily apply to video games, toys, but also tools, or even say chemistry sets or home microscopes for cell phones, really any science . . . thingy, or any tool, could fall into this category.  

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

Combine them!  This is the internet, you can do whatever you want.

PC Specs: MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition -- Corsair Carbide Air 540

2x Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 -- Corsair H100i Watercooler -- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 PSU

i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz -- 16GB Mushkin DDR4 2800Mhz -- 128GB Mushkin SSD + 120GB Kingston HyperX -- 3TB Seagate Barracuda

sorry but that game review idea isnt good, there are so many review channels that are much more focused then this.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

As a gamer I will certainly watch the bargain bin episode. The toys idea is nice, but I am afraid that if you don't get enough interesting toys, it will get old after a while. Maybe 2 separate channels? :P

I voted for the toy channel for a few reasons. There are already far too many gaming channels on YT and I can't see what another one will add. Two, if we are going to be seeing slick for so long in the video, he can't be looking tired in them, it looks unprofessional and lastly, the toy channel idea is something fresh, to me. A gaming channel wouldn't interest me at all as it is all I have watched more or less on YT for years. 

I hope you are successful in whatever you do though.  :)