Am i the only one that thinks the new mac pro is a nice looking pc?

julekule

Either way, I believe the Mac Pro does have its place.

People that don't want to build something their own, will often look at something like this, and even purchase it.

Which is fine.

But people who are computer enthusiasts (such as this forum's population), will always try to back away from prebuilt.

No matter what you have to say, I made it cheaper, I gave it better specs. :)

- I still think it's pretty. Especially without the casing.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

ok the pc is cheaper and a little bit slower.

if you work at a big animation company they dont care about diy pc. they want them prebuilt and with warrenty form one company (not like warranty on every singel part). and if samthing is wrong they can send it it apple to get it fixed insted of trying to trubleshoot it and replace the part, 

I never argued that, (Also, go re-read the post, now its faster, and cheaper.)

I'm not arguing big companies.

I'm arguing with individuals ^_^

We, as computer enthusiasts, will build our own if we can.

This is a cheaper, faster computer. :)

Big business, and even mid sized, will always go pre built.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I never argued that, (Also, go re-read the post, now its faster, and cheaper.)

I'm not arguing big companies.

I'm arguing with individuals ^_^

We, as computer enthusiasts, will build our own if we can.

This is a cheaper, faster computer. :)

Big business, and even mid sized, will always go pre built.

agreed 

agreed 

I was never arguing that Mac has a place ;)

I was just saying, no it's not impossible to buy your own parts, and make something better, cheaper.

I was just saying, no it's not impossible to buy your own parts, and make something better, cheaper.

but you are the only one that have tryed and used workstation grade components.

and when i usally here people say "i can make somthing faster for 1/4 of the price" i know they think gaming and workstation is the same.

like this guy in the picture

UhyIEjP.png

I wonder what a computer like this is actually used for.  Specificially, not "workstations".

If it's for video production, any 4770k or 6core or whatever core intel chip will walk all over it for the same price.

If it's for gaming (wat) anything walks all over it.

If it's for CAD, are there not solutions that use CUDA or openGL that can use gaming cards?

I keep hearing about double precision floating points and workstation cards, but I wonder what that actually means, 

and the bigger question, are the people getting this mac pro going to take advantage of the benefits?  I have a funny feeling that they aren't.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I wonder what a computer like this is actually used for.  Specificially, not "workstations".

If it's for video production, any 4770k or 6core or whatever core intel chip will walk all over it for the same price.

If it's for gaming (wat) anything walks all over it.

If it's for CAD, are there not solutions that use CUDA or openGL that can use gaming cards?

I keep hearing about double precision floating points and workstation cards, but I wonder what that actually means, 

and the bigger question, are the people getting this mac pro going to take advantage of the benefits?  I have a funny feeling that they aren't.

you will use more then 6 core when video editing.

and for cad uses opengl and cuda

My point is when video editing, for $3000 you can buy an 8 core or 6 core xeon compared to the 4 core mac pro and pocket money.  I'm going to need more than "well it doesn't have ECC ram" as an argument.  Isn't ECC ram for server environments?

you will use more then 6 core when video editing.

and for cad uses opencl and cuda

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

My point is when video editing, for $3000 you can buy an 8 core or 6 core xeon compared to the 4 core mac pro and pocket money.  I'm going to need more than "well it doesn't have ECC ram" as an argument.  Isn't ECC ram for server environments?

ecc is for servers but it is nice to have under long renders

and good luck when a 8 core cost 1500 $

ECC RAM will provide you with the stability you need in order to not have a render fail. If you have a renter that is going to take 24 hours, and it fails after 18, you just wasted your time.

every workstation as far as custom built, will have it be built for the purpose of what is being made. If it doesn't matter to you that a render may fail after a few hours, then no, ECC RAM does not make sense. However, if you need RAM that will not fail, and parts that will not make you have to start again, workstation parts are required. It all depends on what you are doing.

I don't believe you've made something better and cheaper. You've made something fairly similar (better in some places, worse in others) for a similar price which is a testament to Apple. Not many prebuilt systems offer that sort of value. So to all the people that say, "pffffft I can build way better than a Mac for way less", they're talking shit. Nobody here has been able to offer those specs and have them come with thunderbolt which is a big deal for people who have massive storage needs. While not many people will need it, it still is an issue.

While your parts are by far the closest and is a really good deal, it doesn't blow a Mac out of the water by any shot (I am not saying you said it would). Also a lot of the people that need this sort of equipment generally don't build their own PC's. So to have a prebuilt system for professionals that is similar in price/performance to something that an enthusiast has specifically researched and built is also worth money. Would you agree?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($312.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($97.16 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($171.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory:  Mushkin Stealth 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($97.26 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2622.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-15 16:34 EDT-0400)

Boom

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($579.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($242.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Asus ROG 240GB PCI-E Solid State Disk  ($360.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($513.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($513.98 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($168.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive:  LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2984.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-15 16:36 EDT-0400)

This is way better than that stupid mac

but niether of those specs are better than the mac for its usage..... niether build has a xeon or workstation graphic cards. or ECC memory, or PCI-E flash. and niether of them of in the small formfactor. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

but niether of those specs are better than the mac for its usage..... niether build has a xeon or workstation graphic cards. or ECC memory, or PCI-E flash. and niether of them of in the small formfactor. 

Mine has better specs, Xeons aren't necessarily better than a 4930k, mine has a PCI-E SSD, and fuck small formfactors (in my opinion)  

Snip

In what ways is my build worse? The specs are all better.

Mine has better specs, Xeons aren't necessarily better than a 4930k, mine has a PCI-E SSD, and fuck small formfactors (in my opinion)  

Oh, i was looking more at the first guy, you're build makes more sense. But I still do think dual 780s dont beat work station graphics for the purpose of buying a mac pro. The other guy's build wasn't that smart though. You're build is pretty competetive other than the formfactor. I think the mac pro's formfactor is cool, but to each his own.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Oh, i was looking more at the first guy, you're build makes more sense. But I still do think dual 780s dont beat work station graphics for the purpose of buying a mac pro. The other guy's build wasn't that smart though. You're build is pretty competetive other than the formfactor. I think the mac pro's formfactor is cool, but to each his own.

Dual 780's with cuda acceleration do pretty well. I could add a quadro k4000 and eliminate the 780's. 

In what ways is my build worse? The specs are all better.

Does it include thunderbolt? What solution do you use for connecting external storage arrays?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Does it include thunderbolt? What solution do you use for connecting external storage arrays?

Sata, Internal. 

I don't find having a tangle of cables behind your computer to be a benefit, I consider it a disaster.

if I were to have one I would take off the outside shinny shit on it and leave it that way, I think it looks way cooler that way.

but I can't be bothered to buy something I could build for half the price

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Sata, Internal. 

I don't find having a tangle of cables behind your computer to be a benefit, I consider it a disaster.

Ok but the point of this isn't whether or not you like cables on your desk. It was could you build the same specs for less. As I said before, you came up with similar specs (some better (2 extra cores, 4GB extra ram), some worse (external data transfer)) for a similar price. I am not saying everyone needs external storage but people who work with massive files will like the fact that you can attach external drive with one cable and get pcie ssd data transfer speeds. Your solution may be better suited to some people but then again it may not. That depends on the person and their needs. I am just pointing out the fact that the Mac Pro is a really good deal and that you can't beat it for the money. You can beat it in some areas but you can't straight up beat it. That is all. I am not trying to have a go at you. As I said earlier, your spec was the closest by far.

-snip-

Just noting first off, I'm not upset, conversing :)

eSata connectors are a very common external connection.

Also, I noted before, that the Mac Pro DEFINITELY has it's place. (also btw, the GPU's I picked have Double the VRAM)

hi, i know a lot of people are making fun of the mac pro for looking like a trash can. but i think it looks quit good. 

and i dont think it is overprized at all. 

if you think u can make somthing better for 3k please put a pcpart picker list in your comment :)

KkuFfXu.jpg

I hate the look of it but its price to performance is incredible. And the one wanting to rrplace a xeon with an i7 4770khas no idea of business and thinks this is a gaming machine. The form faktor is Impressive aswell

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG