Am i the only one that thinks the new mac pro is a nice looking pc?

julekule

that dosnt make any sens?

What doesn't make sense? He stated what he understood as identical

components within the context of the discussion, that being components

of equal or better performance.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I really like how it looks, and I would love it if it came in a dark color, like a black chrome finish. That would make me drool.

Im not convinced the Mac Pro makes any sense for me to buy, but for certain people I do think it offers compelling value.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

It is aimed at a very, very specific audience. I'm not saying it doesn't meet that specific audience's needs.

I'm not saying you're wrong.

Unless you're doing something extremely specific, you would not be able to justify the expense of the Mac Pro. That's not to say that some people don't do those extremely specific things, just to say that such instances do not fall in line with the volume of sales they make (i.e. they sell more Mac Pro's than there are those people in the world).

It is aimed at a very, very specific audience. I'm not saying it doesn't meet that specific audience's needs.

I'm not saying you're wrong.

Unless you're doing something extremely specific, you would not be able to justify the expense of the Mac Pro. That's not to say that some people don't do those extremely specific things, just to say that such instances do not fall in line with the volume of sales they make (i.e. they sell more Mac Pro's than there are those people in the world).

you sad earlyer that two 780ti would beat the mac pro in every program

The problem with this thread (thanks mods for keeping an eye on this) is that this forum is littered with shitty PC MasterRace scrubs who can't take a hint that the Mac Pro is actually a good machine (good for the money as well). Too bad on them and their stark ignorance.

Here is an important point. Someone in the market for a Mac Pro would NOT normally be building their own PCs.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The problem with this thread (thanks mods for keeping an eye on this) is that this forum is littered with shitty PC MasterRace scrubs who can't take a hint that the Mac Pro is actually a good machine (good for the money as well). Too bad on them and their stark ignorance.

Here is an important point. Someone in the market for a Mac Pro would NOT normally be building their own PCs.

you deserve a cookie my friend 

you sad earlyer that two 780ti would beat the mac pro in every program

In that case I take back what I said earlier. You will find, though, that it wins out in almost all situations.

Nothing is actually 100%.

you deserve a cookie my friend 

I would have helped separate fact from fiction here, but I have seen many a thread like this and I know what they devolve into.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

As for anyone thinking anything they build would be able to compare with a company like Apple is silly anyway. 
As builders, we pay retail. We also have to pay for shipping. We buy aftermarket products that are built to a general specification. I seriously doubt any of us have access to an engineering department that can make for us custom PCB's that are purpose built to specific hardware i.e. that funky Apple board that will only fit in that case and will likely only support a handful of hardware choices it was designed for. You also have to consider that a company like Apple can afford to do things like loss-leader marketing. They can take a loss selling hardware for less and make up profits by selling software. 

That being said, I can build a system for that money that will destroy a Mac for what I will do with it. I have no need for a Xeon CPU or workstation graphics. Would a system built to those specs be able to triple screen Crysis 3 faster than a 4770k based machine with 780ti's in SLI? No way. 

The problem is the way Apple markets these things. Are they gonna sell it as a niche market product? No. They'll try to sell it as a "cool" product that has features fit for the whole family. Let's not forget their obnoxious and down right slanderous "I'm a Mac" campaigns. What sucks worse than that is the people who believe it. 

Next thing you know, the snobby hipster next door is telling you how you can't make memes in Photoshop because you have a PC. 

As for anyone thinking anything they build would be able to compare with a company like Apple is silly anyway. 

As builders, we pay retail. We also have to pay for shipping. We buy aftermarket products that are built to a general specification. I seriously doubt any of us have access to an engineering department that can make for us custom PCB's that are purpose built to specific hardware i.e. that funky Apple board that will only fit in that case and will likely only support a handful of hardware choices it was designed for. You also have to consider that a company like Apple can afford to do things like loss-leader marketing. They can take a loss selling hardware for less and make up profits by selling software. 

That being said, I can build a system for that money that will destroy a Mac for what I will do with it. I have no need for a Xeon CPU or workstation graphics. Would a system built to those specs be able to triple screen Crysis 3 faster than a 4770k based machine with 780ti's in SLI? No way. 

The problem is the way Apple markets these things. Are they gonna sell it as a niche market product? No. They'll try to sell it as a "cool" product that has features fit for the whole family. Let's not forget their obnoxious and down right slanderous "I'm a Mac" campaigns. What sucks worse than that is the people who believe it. 

Next thing you know, the snobby hipster next door is telling you how you can't make memes in Photoshop because you have a PC. 

i think they are marketing it at the right market

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

They are really NOT marketing it towards the general populous, the mac pro has never been marketed that way, its name is implied mac PRO. for the pros

they dont want to compete against their own iMac and mac mini lines as they are very popular desktop solutions for apple

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

so you are expecting every one that has a workstation to know how to change the gpu?

and workstaion grade gpus have 10bit color depth

They better have someone that does otherwise they're fixing for a problem later on. And if you need 10 bit colors then you can do what Linus did and get a cheap Quadro card.

Someone in the market for a Mac Pro is ignorant in their field and wasting their money. It has an extremely niche market, one that a lot of people mistake that it fits them.

They better have someone that does otherwise they're fixing for a problem later on. And if you need 10 bit colors then you can do what Linus did and get a cheap Quadro card.

My Powemac g5 quad from 2005 had a old quadro pci-e that was capable of 10-bit color depth. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

My Powemac g5 quad from 2005 had a old quadro pci-e that was capable of 10-bit color depth. 

How much would you sell it for today?

How much would you sell it for today?

$50 for the "workstation" gpu

10-bit color did make a bit of a difference even though I was shooting on 3ccd mini dv cameras, I was getting better color depth than I am now with my t3i. But things like grass looked a bit "cartoonish" 

1040891_473131076113221_1070563205_o.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Proves my point right there really...

Proves what point? Hardware depreciates fast?

Proves what point? Hardware depreciates fast?

You don't need to spend a stupid amount of money to have a feature that the Mac Pro has.

You don't need to spend a stupid amount of money to have a feature that the Mac Pro has.

I am in school right now, so I will continue this later, but let me hand it off to others with a rational thought process.

@Whiskers @julekule (now if only they were online)

And I want to leave a moderator or two to watch this over, no matter their opinions.

@looney @alpenwasser @Windspeed36

I am in school right now, so I will continue this later, but let me hand it off to others with a rational thought process.

@Whiskers @julekule (now if only they were online)

And I want to leave a moderator or two to watch this over, no matter their opinions.

@looney @alpenwasser @Windspeed36

Because not needing to spend 4x the price on something is irrational. Okay then.. xD

Because not needing to spend 4x the price on something is irrational. Okay then.. xD

Yeah? If you're really saying 4x or even 2x the price, build me a computer for $1500 and $750 that will beat the stock Mac Pro all around.

Yeah? If you're really saying 4x or even 2x the price, build me a computer for $1500 and $750 that will beat the stock Mac Pro all around.

You're still missing the point and beating around the bush.