Am i the only one that thinks the new mac pro is a nice looking pc?

julekule

you forgot a case, and at some things, it will be worse, because the gpu in there isnt a workstation card

I changed it.

But not the workstations part.

But i herd that AMD is good for workstation too, like the gaming ones perform decently.

EDIT:

here is one with workstation

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($568.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Glacer 240L 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($124.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard:  Asus Rampage IV Gene Micro ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($269.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage:  Samsung EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($469.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  PNY Quadro 5000 2.5GB Video Card  ($1094.99 @ Amazon) 
Case:  Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  ($145.78 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $3072.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-16 12:29 EDT-0400)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

you forgot a case, and at some things, it will be worse, because the gpu in there isnt a workstati

see last above post

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Glacer 240L 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($124.99 @ Micro Center) 

Motherboard:  Asus Rampage IV Gene Micro ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($269.99 @ NCIX US) 

Memory:  Corsair Dominator GT 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-2000 Memory  ($172.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage:  Samsung EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($505.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card:  PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card  ($1010.73 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply:  Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  ($145.78 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $3024.44

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-16 12:25 EDT-0400)

Tell me this is worse than the mac pro, and ill get a mac pro.

Gaming GPU, not a workstation GPU. And you don't have an ECC-compatible CPU or ECC RAM.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

In corporate environments a pre-built system with certified hardware makes sense.   That may be the advantage.  

We geeks can always make something better for less.  But certified pre-built systems with support have their niche

About it's looks, I don't really like the black chrome or it's circular form.  It is interesting design though.  I think of xeon platform as a server... but I just can't picture a bunch of these in a server room sitting on a table. lol  *edit:  as a workstation though, it it pretty cool.  I still would like it better without the black chrome.  Brushed aluminum would look better I think.

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($312.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($97.16 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($171.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory:  Mushkin Stealth 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($97.26 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2622.30
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-15 16:34 EDT-0400)

Boom

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($579.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($242.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Asus ROG 240GB PCI-E Solid State Disk  ($360.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($513.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($513.98 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($168.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive:  LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2984.84
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-15 16:36 EDT-0400)

This is way better than that stupid mac

I changed it.

But not the workstations part.

But i herd that AMD is good for workstation too, like the gaming ones perform decently.

EDIT:

here is one with workstation

Storage:  Samsung EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($469.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  PNY Quadro 5000 2.5GB Video Card  ($1094.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3072.70
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-16 12:29 EDT-0400)

None of these systems match the specs of the Mac Pro. None have ECC ram or thunderbolt (and thunderbolt is a big deal for people working with large video files). Most have been fairly dodgy (or just plain wrong) when it comes to the gpu choice. And the funny thing is that they are all almost the same price as Apple are offering. I know you people hate Apple but you have to give them credit where credit is due. The Mac Pro is one of the best buys for the money (if you need a workstation). A prebuilt machine with more features for the same or less money. And even Linus said these machines are extremely quite under load. I am not sure if the above choices can offer the same.

The most laughable thing is people are comparing these to gaming computers. This really shows their ignorance. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

None of these systems match the specs of the Mac Pro. None have ECC ram or thunderbolt (and thunderbolt is a big deal for people working with large video files). Most have been fairly dodgy (or just plain wrong) when it comes to the gpu choice. And the funny thing is that they are all almost the same price as Apple are offering. I know you people hate Apple but you have to give them credit where credit is due. The Mac Pro is one of the best buys for the money (if you need a workstation). A prebuilt machine with more features for the same or less money. And even Linus said these machines are extremely quite under load. I am not sure if the above choices can offer the same.

The most laughable thing is people are comparing these to gaming computers. This really shows their ignorance. 

MAy I ask what is wrong with mine? (other than ecc ram, i dont know what that means)

MAy I ask what is wrong with mine? (other than ecc ram, i dont know what that means)

Basically ECC gives greater reliability that no bits will get flipped by mistake in the RAM. It ensures data reliability. Neither the mobo or cpu supports ECC. Then there is no thunderbolt (10GB/s data transfer). I can't say how well a single nVidia compares with dual FirePro D300's either (maybe it does, maybe it doesn't). But then it costs the same as the Mac Pro. If you are going to outdo Apple it kinda has to come out cheaper but it comes out basically the same price except you have to build yours.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Basically ECC gives greater reliability that no bits will get flipped by mistake in the RAM. It ensures data reliability. Neither the mobo or cpu supports ECC. Then there is no thunderbolt (10GB/s data transfer). I can't say how well a single nVidia compares with dual FirePro D300's either (maybe it does, maybe it doesn't). But then it costs the same as the Mac Pro. If you are going to outdo Apple it kinda has to come out cheaper but it comes out basically the same price except you GET to build yours.

OK. well i dont really know about workstations anyway. 

UNrelater, I actual like the look of the mac pro case (new and old)

OK. well i dont really know about workstations anyway. 

UNrelater, I actual like the look of the mac pro case (new and old)

Believe it or not, some people actually like not having to build the thing they just spent $3K on. :)

And I also agree that both new and old look well.

To address the whole "I could build something better for cheaper" thing, literally the only compelling reason to buy a mac pro is the LGA 2011 + Thunderbolt combination. If you need that for some reason (which I really, really doubt you do because Thunderbolt is such an overwhelming disappointment on all levels), then the mac pro is an excellent choice. If not, there is literally no benefit to buying the mac pro over something you build yourself. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ofc; if you were gonna buy Firepros anyway and the price wouldn't be much different, it just means you're not gaining anything other than a smaller form-factor (which I don't imagine is a huge concern in a workstation really).

If you wanted Quadros or CUDA then Apple has left you out in the cold anyway, so the mac pro isn't even an option. Mac pro is only a sensible purchase for an incredibly small amount of niche users, but fortunately the characteristic Apple-hype means they'll be able to sell a fair few to people who'd have been way better off with something else.

You also have to bear in mind when considering alternative builds that those are upgradeable in the future, whereas with the mac pro you're stuck with what you get (which no matter how they spin it, was not a deliberate design decision by Apple but rather a necessary step to leverage Thunderbolt on LGA 2011 because Thunderbolt is so horrendously implemented), so yes the price may be the same or similar but it allows future upgradeability which the mac pro lacks.

Believe it or not, some people actually like not having to build the thing they just spent $3K on. :)

And I also agree that both new and old look well.

Im thinking about putting my computer in a mac pro case, but i also want to builda wood case/

Im thinking about putting my computer in a mac pro case,

Just underclock your current pc and put it in a black rubbish bin and you'll have a macpro :/

God, that with a plexiglass cover would look pretty awesome.

someone is gone have to do that :)

I've never actually seen one in real life, so I just guessed that's what it was. Still, I can't imagine that wouldn't be any better if you're not a fan of fingerprints all over your stuff.

it is a mac, you have to use golves

I think it is a great thing, the look could be a bit better admitted. But putting a full grade workstation pc/mac in such a form factor! that is truely where it stands up with it since mostly more high end workstations are full tower case size looking things. The power/size ratio is where apple found a sweet spot imo, if i was able to change the GPUs for gaming GPUs and it would be price responsible i would do that.

The thing i also notice is that most people put gaming grade GPUs in a workstation PC to compare it to the mac, i want to see such a build with workstation grade GPUs wich are just as good/better then the mac at the same price or less, that would be a achievment.

mac pro=workstation

mac pro =/= gaming

Gaming GPU, not a workstation GPU. And you don't have an ECC-compatible CPU or ECC RAM.

people think that because the mac pro is expensive it has to be overpriced.

No bays for anything = wires and external components everywhere

Ecc is error correcting memory. so lets say you are rendering a 1 hour movie in premiere pro and you are using normal memory and a error occurs the file will be broken. but if you are using ecc memory it will double check for errors.

what clock speeds can you get out of that xeon cpu??

quad ore is 3,7 ghz

6 core is 3,5 ghz

8 core is 3 ghz 

12 core is 2,7 ghz

No bays for anything = wires and external components everywhere

what would you have externaly on a mac pro

quad ore is 3,7 ghz

6 core is 3,5 ghz

8 core is 3 ghz 

12 core is 2,7 ghz

But what are they when overclocked?

But what are they when overclocked?