Am i the only one that thinks the new mac pro is a nice looking pc?

julekule

It's pretty, but this has it beat in specs.

again it is not using works station parts 

againe not using works station parts 

Wait, why can't we use work station parts?

You wanted us to build a better computer for 3k, that is a better computer for 3k.

The Mac Pro for SURE uses work station parts...

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Just underclock your gaming parts, same thing ;-)

Wait, why can't we use work station parts?

You wanted us to build a better computer for 3k, that is a better computer for 3k.

The Mac Pro for SURE uses work station parts...

thats what you guys are suppose to use

i commented on the video that did not use workstation grade memory or cpu

Also, if you're saying they're not using Workstation parts, you're wrong...?

They're using a FirePro W7000 GPU (Workstation)... I guess they aren't using a Xeon/WS MB?

Here, let me link you another build... one sec.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Just underclock your gaming parts, same thing ;-)

that is far from the same thing. workstation parts have better drivers, go under more strict tests. is verified for 24/7 operation. (normally) workstation gpus have more memory. it is alsow made of higer quatlity parts 

Also, if you're saying they're not using Workstation parts, you're wrong...?

They're using a FirePro W7000 GPU (Workstation)... I guess they aren't using a Xeon/WS MB?

Here, let me link you another build... one sec.

are they using 2 firepro w7000?

Talking about ECC memory is bullshit 

lets not forget people BOUGHT david di franco a $3000 mac to replace the one his parents bought him in 2007 for $3000. The guy claims he "needs the power to edit" bull**** he acts like he is making star wars. He is doing basic cuts from a 1080p camera. 

DSC01747.JPG?width=737&height=552

lets not forget that the later star wars WAS edited using powermac g3s. single core 400mhz and sdram, the idea that we need more power to be "creative" in general is bs. O rily you NEED a 6 core in order to produce something from photoshop.

The+Fellowship+Of+The+Ring+(2001)+1.jpg

ok now that you got your 6-core your gonna make something in photoshop like this right? made 10 years earlier on outdated hardware.

1962669_597660093656747_1057044707_n.jpg

nope, lets just apply a vintage filter to a slighty out of focus macro shot shall we.

****ing hell I need a drink. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

lets not forget people BOUGHT david di franco a $3000 mac to replace the one his parents bought him in 2007 for $3000. The guy claims he "needs the power to edit" bull**** he acts like he is making star wars. He is doing basic cuts from a 1080p camera. 

DSC01747.JPG?width=737&height=552

lets not forget that the later star wars WAS edited using powermac g3s. single core 400mhz and sdram, the idea that we need more power to be "creative" in general is bs. O rily you NEED a 6 core in order to produce something from photoshop.

The+Fellowship+Of+The+Ring+(2001)+1.jpg

ok now that you got your 6-core your gonna make something in photoshop like this right? made 10 years earlier on outdated hardware.

1962669_597660093656747_1057044707_n.jpg

nope, lets just apply a vintage filter to a slighty out of focus macro shot shall we.

****ing hell I need a drink. 

i see your point. but the mac pro is still a beast

i see your point. but the mac pro is still a beast

**** yeah dude, I LOVE its specs. And its a marvel in general but this was me pointing out something i've been turning in my head for a while. 

#KilledMyWife 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3aWt1

I couldn't find a four core, 3.7ghz Xeon, this is instead, six core.

16gb of ECC ram, instead of the Mis-matched Ram they threw in their systems.

The V7000 is the "Matched" model to the D300, however, the D300 was custom made, and PCPartsPicker didn't have the 7000, so heres two 7900 instead.

Gold Certified PSU :)

Windows 8.1, Pro for you're requirements.

And everything is WS.

Again, I'm not arguing that the Mac Pro is pretty, but it was made from custom parts, that are unavailable anywhere else on the market.

We don't know how they got the specs they did, because they're not available anywhere else, so all we can do is get close, and hope.

The build I made gives you more expansion (without having an octopus of Thunderbolt connectors), and is just as reliable.

Again, there is a place for the Mac Pro, from those who don't want to have to fiddle with it.

Why? It's an important thing to have in workloads where an error could destroy hours of work.

What does that have to do with it? That guy being a bit of a tosser has nothing to do with the Mac Pro. 

Yes, using how many of them? How long did it take them to render? Having more powerful machines decreases rendering time and if you're working with the same material decreases the number of machines required to render. Unless you're suggesting we should still use the same machines Jurassic Park used to render with back in 1992? If I recall correctly they used something like 70 machines to render the CGI effects for the film. 

PhotoShop doesn't require an extremely powerful machine and we all know it. Irrelevant point.

You seem to be suggesting the Mac Pro isn't good because we have no use for it. Well, that's rather the point - it's a workstation computer, not a consumer-grade or gaming computer. It's not meant for us. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3aWt1

I couldn't find a four core, 3.7ghz Xeon, this is instead, six core.

16gb of ECC ram, instead of the Mis-matched Ram they threw in their systems.

The V7000 is the "Matched" model to the D300, however, the D300 was custom made, and PCPartsPicker didn't have the 7000, so heres two 7900 instead.

Gold Certified PSU :)

Windows 8.1, Pro for you're requirements.

And everything is WS.

Again, I'm not arguing that the Mac Pro is pretty, but it was made from custom parts, that are unavailable anywhere else on the market.

We don't know how they got the specs they did, because they're not available anywhere else, so all we can do is get close, and hope.

The build I made gives you more expansion (without having an octopus of Thunderbolt connectors), and is just as reliable.

Again, there is a place for the Mac Pro, from those who don't want to have to fiddle with it.

The v7900 is not d300

the w7000 is a d300 with 4gb

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1084&gid2=635&compare=firepro-w7000-vs-firepro-v7900

CPU:  Intel Xeon E5-2630 V2 2.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($605.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  Asus P9X79 WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard  ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage:  Mushkin  240GB PCI-E Solid State Disk  ($280.98 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Silverstone KL04B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($106.81 @ Amazon) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($137.97 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WDN3800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($24.99 @ Micro Center) 
Other: ECC RAM - 16gb ($189.99)
Other: AMD FirePro W7000 4GB ($709.99)
Total: $3256.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-16 15:50 EDT-0400)

There. 200 extra dollars over Mac Pro, gives you a six core, a nicer PSU, Windows, and future expansion. - And more VRAM.
(If you follow the link to PCPartsPicker, and click on the "custom parts", you can follow the link to the parts.)

Why? It's an important thing to have in workloads where an error could destroy hours of work.

What does that have to do with it? That guy being a bit of a tosser has nothing to do with the Mac Pro. 

Yes, using how many of them? How long did it take them to render? Having more powerful machines decreases rendering time and if you're working with the same material decreases the number of machines required to render. Unless you're suggesting we should still use the same machines Jurassic Park used to render with back in 1992? If I recall correctly they used something like 70 machines to render the CGI effects for the film. 

PhotoShop doesn't require an extremely powerful machine and we all know it. Irrelevant point.

You seem to be suggesting the Mac Pro isn't good because we have no use for it. Well, that's rather the point - it's a workstation computer, not a consumer-grade or gaming computer. It's not meant for us. :)

My god, i'm officially off to get a drink but 1st a few quotes

**** yeah dude, I LOVE its specs. And its a marvel in general but this was me pointing out something i've been turning in my head for a while. 

-Lil Chillbil

The difference between stupidity and Genius is that Genius has its limits. 

-Albert Einstein 

#KilledMyWife 

CPU:  Intel Xeon E5-2630 V2 2.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($605.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($137.97 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WDN3800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($24.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $3256.67
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-16 15:50 EDT-0400)

There. 200 extra dollars over Mac Pro, gives you a six core, a nicer PSU, Windows, and future expansion. - And more VRAM.
(If you follow the link to PCPartsPicker, and click on the "custom parts", you can follow the link to the parts.)

keeping in mind that a mac pro with a 3,5 ghz six core and a 16gb of eec memory is 3599$ and it has wireless ac. and also has osx with the ilife and iworks suit for free

keeping in mind that a mac pro with a 3,5 ghz six core and a 16gb of eec memory is 3599$ and it has wireless ac. and also has osx with the ilife and iworks suit for free

We're not talking Software here. Yes Apple includes their software... That most people with this level of hardware won't use...

Also, I gave a six core, with 16gb of ECC memory, for less than 3600 Bucks... 400 dollars less to be exact.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3aXll

There, 8 core. Still cheaper.

We're not talking Software here. Yes Apple includes their software... That most people with this level of hardware won't use...

Also, I gave a six core, with 16gb of ECC memory, for less than 3600 Bucks... 400 dollars less to be exact.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3aXll

There, 8 core. Still cheaper.

macs 6 core 3,5ghz your 6 core 2,6ghz

macs 8 core 3,0ghz your 8 core 2,0ghz

i cant name any windows exclusive editing or 3d rendering software. will osx has many

all i care about is how the heck is it cooled so well.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

all i care about is how the heck is it cooled so well.

magic

i cant name any windows exclusive editing or 3d rendering software. will osx has many

exclusive doesnt mean better and we can always make a hackintosh. The mac is nice right now, im fine with that, what the problem i find is that they update it in very long intervals the next mac pro is likely to come past 2020

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

And their 8 core costs even more.

I'm staying under the budget, while giving better hardware.

You can keep going up in price, I'll keep staying under the budget.

Yes they're clocked higher, I cant beat that. They made them custom, so they're not available.

One sec.

Other: Intel Xeon E5-1650 V2 3.5 Ghz 6 core ($576.99)
Total: $3227.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-16 16:13 EDT-0400)

Six core, 3.5 ghz, More RAM, Wireless, Upgradability. CHEAPER. Done.

exclusive doesnt mean better and we can always make a hackintosh. The mac is nice right now, im fine with that, what the problem i find is that they update it in very long intervals the next mac pro is likely to come past 2020

hackintoshing is really unstable 

And their 8 core costs even more.

I'm staying under the budget, while giving better hardware.

You can keep going up in price, I'll keep staying under the budget.

Yes they're clocked higher, I cant beat that. They made them custom, so they're not available.

One sec.

ok the pc is cheaper and a little bit slower.

if you work at a big animation company they dont care about diy pc. they want them prebuilt and with warrenty form one company (not like warranty on every singel part). and if samthing is wrong they can send it it apple to get it fixed insted of trying to trubleshoot it and replace the part,