Am i the only one that thinks the new mac pro is a nice looking pc?

julekule

You're still missing the point and beating around the bush.

Your point:

You don't need to spend a stupid amount of money to have a feature that the Mac Pro has.

You are speaking of a single feature. To have all of it's features (small form factor, powerful, OS X, etc.) you need to spend quite a bit. Comparable machines, since people that would buy a Mac Pro or something similar would not normally be up to building their own PC, would be workstations from the likes of Dell and Lenovo, all with weaker specs for the same price. To put it simply, if you are in the market for it... No, the Mac Pro is not a waste. Saying something as bold as your point is irrational since you would have to also fit in the rest of the workstations (of which the Mac Pro is) and say that they all are a waste, as this is what it seems from your statement.

Can a mod please close this thread? It's just devolving into a misinformed fanboy war.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Your point:

You are speaking of a single feature. To have all of it's features (small form factor, powerful, OS X, etc.) you need to spend quite a bit. Comparable machines, since people that would buy a Mac Pro or something similar would not normally be up to building their own PC, would be workstations from the likes of Dell and Lenovo, all with weaker specs for the same price. To put it simply, if you are in the market for it... No, the Mac Pro is not a waste. Saying something as bold as your point is irrational since you would have to also fit in the rest of the workstations (of which the Mac Pro is) and say that they all are a waste, as this is what it seems from your statement.

My point was that if you want 10 bit color you do not need to spend a lot of money on a workstation card. For example, you could buy a used one off someone or go and buy a low end workstation gpu to have the same effect. If what your workstation is doing is just rendering out massive videos as some people do, you would be better off buying a few 780 Ti's and throwing them in a machine and it'll get the job done faster than a Mac Pro would. The only thing you're paying with a Mac Pro is essentially having the thing built, and being a small form factor. IF something breaks on it you cannot replace it yourself and must send it in or replace it. Costing you valuable time and money.

Can a mod please close this thread? It's just devolving into a misinformed fanboy war.

No worries, we're watching, but for the moment arguing is... passionate,

but for the most part civil (I mean no name-calling yet, primarily), so

there isn't really compelling reason to close it (yet). Which I suppose

could be considered a compliment to you guys. ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

They better have someone that does otherwise they're fixing for a problem later on. And if you need 10 bit colors then you can do what Linus did and get a cheap Quadro card.

again 2 d300 will preform better then a cheap quadro card

My point was that if you want 10 bit color you do not need to spend a lot of money on a workstation card. For example, you could buy a used one off someone or go and buy a low end workstation gpu to have the same effect. If what your workstation is doing is just rendering out massive videos as some people do, you would be better off buying a few 780 Ti's and throwing them in a machine and it'll get the job done faster than a Mac Pro would. The only thing you're paying with a Mac Pro is essentially having the thing built, and being a small form factor. IF something breaks on it you cannot replace it yourself and must send it in or replace it. Costing you valuable time and money.

so what if i need 10 bit cooler and fast render time? 

and most people that buy workstations dont change the part themselves anyway.

In the same way that if you want a CPU with a high clock speed you could get a single core clocked at 4.5GHz. One feature can be important, but its importance is always relative to the other features or specifications required. That's the big problem with budget builds... if you focus too much on one feature or specification, the entire machine will actually be worse as a result. For example, you could focus on trying to get a Titan Black in a $1200 build... but for god sake, you shouldn't.

The Mac Pro offers a relatively inexpensive prebuilt workstation with decent hardware and software. Comparable prebuilt machines from the likes of Dell, Hewlett Packard and others are always more expensive, and typically not as good.

It's difficult for the PC enthusiast community to understand at times, but there are fundamental and vital advantages to the purchase and use of a prebuilt machine over a custom-built one. If your company requires for example 50 machines, it is easier and cheaper to purchase 50 prebuilt machines than it is to build 50 of your own. If there's a problem with a prebuilt they can send it back to the manufacturer and get either a free replacement, repair or at least discounted replacement or repair. With a custom built they need to take the machine offline, troubleshoot the problem then remedy the problem - which takes a lot more time, throughout which the machine is still offline which indirectly costs the company more money.

Businesses are very financially focused. If it was in any way cheaper or better for them to use custom-built machines they would. But it's usually not, so they usually don't.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

hi, i know a lot of people are making fun of the mac pro for looking like a trash can. but i think it looks quit good. 

it is expensive but i dont think it is overprized at all. 

if you think u can make somthing better for 3k please put a pcpart picker list in your comment :)

KkuFfXu.jpg

I love T Swift! Also there isn't anything more Pleasing to my eyes than a trash can. 

"Believe in yourself. Cuz that's the way to start." 

Amazing form factor, thats for one. Its a feat of engineering. However, I'd stick with the big ol' 900D with water cooling and LED/cathode lighting. I don't care that much about its form factor. If you pay 3k for a desktop, you better show it off for everyone too see.

mac and pc should not be in the same sentence... i feel like putting a fan next to it and play real life paper toss. But still loads of people will buy it 

CPU: i9-13900K |  MOBO: Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Cooling: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite 360mm AIO | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB 6200MHz CL36 DDR5 | GPU: MSI Ventus 3X RTX 3090 | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow| PSU: Seasonic Prime GX-1300 Gold 1300W | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Platinum | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless w/ Powerplay