This guy liquid-cooled his Canon EOS R5 and beat the 8K overheating issues

poochyena

Summary

Some guy water cooled his camera because of thermal issues, but there was also some weird firmware that shuts the camera off at a certain point even without overheating.

Quotes

The Canon EOS R5, despite receiving firmware update to help reduce the chances of it happening, has a thing for overheating when shooting video. Every single piece of (admittedly, circumstantial) evidence points to it being a timer that’s hard-coded into the camera and not really based on the temperature inside the camera at all. Or is it?

Matt at DIYPerks decided to have a go at liquid cooling his shiny new $3,900 Canon EOS R5. And after doing tests using the original firmware, he saw the results we all expected. The camera shut down right at the time limit, despite being cooled pretty much to the ambient room temperature. When he installed the v1.1 firmware update, though, everything changed.

When Canon released the v1.1 firmware (they’re at v1.2.0 now), the time limits went up. Many of us simply assumed that Canon had increased the timer, and for some, it made a big difference. For others, not so much. Although it looks like it might actually be monitoring temperatures now and it isn’t just implementing an arbitrary time limit.

My thoughts

Not sure if this is considered news or not, but it reminded me of linus. Maybe water cooled cameras will become more of a real thing like water cooled PCs.

Sources

https://www.diyphotography.net/this-guy-liquid-cooled-his-canon-eos-r5-and-beat-the-8k-overheating-issues/

Water cooled fans when ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Me: Doesn't have problems like that because I have an EOS Mark 2

Everyone: doesn't care and fixes their issues with crazy tricks

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

What can’t be watercooled?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, Drama Lama said:

Pape-

oh wait

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 hour ago, soldier_ph said:

Water cooled fans when ?

Only in the initial testing to prove the cpu was what was heating up and causing the problem.   The final solution was thermal paste, pads, and copper spreader plates combined with fan blown air cooling.  Watercooling is a bit of a misnomer here.  It wasn’t the final solution.  The final solution WAS very cpu cooling like though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Or, maybe he should just dunk the camera under water and take video of him snorkeling. Like, duh! 🙄

Spoiler

Don't follow that advice in case you're one of THOSE naïve morons. 

That's funny, but defeats the purpose of enjoying photography as a hobby.  We don't need 8k

Edit: Just a theory and trying to fully connect the dots is the great push for technology is to help push Fake AI.

I've noticed older analog photos, Facebook can't even tag the faces of people.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

I wonder if Linus' watercooled RED inspired him?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, THraShArD said:

That's funny, but defeats the purpose of enjoying photography as a hobby.  We don't need 8k

I also can't imagine it would be particularly fun or practical to be filming video for extended periods of time with a camera in that form factor, don't know what this style of camera body is actually called, I'd say DSLR but its mirrorless.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, it has a full frame sensor meaning if you want to get an image similar to Super 35mm you're going to need a lens with a longer focal length which is more weight hanging off the front making it even more uncomfortable as opposed to an actual video camera.

Considering it can't actually seem to film 8k without thermal issues it leads me to believe it shooting in 8k is mostly just a marketing gimmick.

22 minutes ago, Emily123 said:

I also can't imagine it would be particularly fun or practical to be filming video for extended periods of time with a camera in that form factor, don't know what this style of camera body is actually called, I'd say DSLR but its mirrorless.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, it has a full frame sensor meaning if you want to get an image similar to Super 35mm you're going to need a lens with a longer focal length which is more weight hanging off the front making it even more uncomfortable as opposed to an actual video camera.

Considering it can't actually seem to film 8k without thermal issues it leads me to believe it shooting in 8k is mostly just a marketing gimmick.

Apparently it can do it, just not for very long without modification.  If you don’t need to make something more than a few minutes long it doesn’t matter.  Price might be a factor.  8k cameras with decent optics aren’t cheap.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Apparently it can do it, just not for very long without modification.  If you don’t need to make something more than a few minutes long it doesn’t matter.  Price might be a factor.  8k cameras with decent optics aren’t cheap.  

I looked at the UK site and they list it as being able to record up to 20 minutes at 8k 30p from a cold start which seems pretty decent. After which a 10 minute cool down gives around 3 minutes of recording time depending on ambient temperature. For some reason I couldn't find this information in the product showcase on the US site.

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-r5/video-performance/

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/eos-r5

From UK site:

chrome_GjA5uvo7fW.png.99b8af49ab66ec171f4eb83b7fccf00d.png

10 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

As @LinusTechhas conclusively shown, if it produces heat, you can water cool it. Whether it's a good idea , that's a completely different discussion.

But what @LinusTech hasn't made is a sub-ambient phase change / chillier cooled camera.

7 minutes ago, Emily123 said:

But what @LinusTech hasn't made is a sub-ambient phase change / chillier cooled camera.

I could see that being potentially a serious issue.  There are problems with condensation in sub ambient cooling that would be unusually problematic for electronics in general and photographic equipment in particular.  I don’t recall sub-ambient being attempted at any point in the cannon camera video.

On 11/30/2020 at 3:52 AM, Drama Lama said:

Doom.

Spoiler

inb4 Doom on a water cooling rig

✨FNIGE✨

3 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

Doom.

Hide contents

inb4 Doom on a water cooling rig

Like dr doom?  He kinda NEEDS watercooling I think.

On 11/30/2020 at 3:44 AM, Emily123 said:

I also can't imagine it would be particularly fun or practical to be filming video for extended periods of time with a camera in that form factor

Have you ever seen a XX century TV studio camera?

This is meant to be attached to  your biking helmet, to film the places you visit.

"this guy"

omfg...

Hako: Gigabyte z490i, i5-10400F@4.3GHz, 16GB LPX 3200MHz, Intel 7600p 1TB,  AMD RX6800

Stuff: Ducky One 2 MiNi, Xtrfy M4 Retro, Asus VG259Q

Phone: Google Pixel 3XL NoT P!nk