Is overclocking worth it?

LilPach

So I have a 1660ti and stream using the nvenc encoder I know some would say performance is performance but I mostly play fortnite. Would overclocking my gpu be worth it or would it pretty much not do much. 

You will see some performance increases, however, generally speaking (meaning there are situations where you will see notable gains), the days of 20%+ performance increases for overclocks are behind us.

It's more just a fun challenge for people that like to tinker.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Overclocking does not improve NVENC performance, you cannot overclock that portion of the GPU. It could increase fps a bit, but not to the point where it will be even comparable to a 2060.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, LilPach said:

So I have a 1660ti and stream using the nvenc encoder I know some would say performance is performance but I mostly play fortnite. Would overclocking my gpu be worth it or would it pretty much not do much. 

overclocking "generally" doesnt give anymore than a 10% performance boost.

and a good stable "ish" overclock often requires you to force your gpu to run at a higher voltage, which not only produces a lot more heat, but also produces a lot more electricity.

some aftermarket cards handle overclocking a lot better than others but its generally up to the end user if they decide to overclock their gpu or not

1 minute ago, GoodEnough said:

but also produces a lot more electricity.

Didn't know that overclocking gpus made them produce electricity.

Also you can't even change the voltage applied to the gpu without some mod most of the time.  Gpus have a power slider that allows to adjust how much current the gpu draws voltage is not changed whatsoever. 

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Gundar said:

Also you can't even change the voltage applied to the gpu without some mod most of the time.

not if you use msi afterburner??

5 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Also you can't even change the voltage applied to the gpu without some mod most of the time. 

MSI Afterburner be like, "I'll see your comment and raise you a me."

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, GoodEnough said:

I overclocked my GTX 1660 with Afterburner - the voltage slider doesn't increase the voltage.

Using the power limit slider is better.

As for overclocking the 1660 Ti,I don't know where the bottleneck is within the card but here is what i founs out from overclocking my GTX 1660:

Raise the boost frequency offset slider so the card will boost to at least 2055MHz (Since both the 1660 and 1660 Ti use the same GPU it should be no problem)

I run my card at 2070MHz~2085MHz and it peaks at 2100MHz.

I found out that my GPU is heavily bottlenecked by the memory - so i overclocked it from 4000MHz to 5000MHz,a 1GHz overclock.

It's important to note that the 1660 has GDDR5 memory compared to the GDDR6 memory of the 1660 Ti.

The performance i get is between the 1660 Ti and the RTX 2060

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, Vishera said:

the voltage slider doesn't increase the voltage.

go into the settings and check the force voltage box

overclocking is a labour of love. I did it with my first gaming pc. I dont have time for it now. The performance increase isnt worth it on my system. Lol in the past computers were so slow you had to overclock them!

go into the settings and check the force voltage box

This isn't Vega nor Maxwell - that slider just doesn't do that on Turing.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Just now, foldingNoob said:

overclocking is a labour of love. I did it with my first gaming pc. I dont have time for it now. The performance increase isnt worth it on my system. Lol in the past computers were so slow you had to overclock them!

I go crazy with my overclocks,and considering that i use overkill cooling solutions i get huge improvements in performance.

Just now, Vishera said:

This isn't Vega nor Maxwell

well i dont have either of those either..

well i dont have either of those either..

Polaris is very similar to Vega in that regard.

Just now, Vishera said:

I go crazy with my overclocks,and considering that i use overkill cooling solutions i get huge improvements in performance.

Do you play fallout 4? I have the same CPU as you but i cant increase memory speed without fallout 4 crashing. I got clock speed improvement on my GPU 5700XT but fallout 4 does not make use of it. I dont really play any other games. So for me its just not worth it. Lol the games I play must be old now.

The myth is that overclocking gives your more performance. Yes it may look very nice on benchmarks but all and all it is about where it stops. Real world situations demanded that manufacturers has a margin of safe/stable operations for their goods to allow them operate under loads. By overclocking you can introduce instability and other problems. 

Thus i personally concluded the factory knows best, they probability have very smart engineers that worked hard on the product. So i will trust them and simply keep things as default as possible. I might be completely wrong but that is my take.

Just now, foldingNoob said:

Do you play fallout 4? I have the same CPU as you but i cant increase memory speed without fallout 4 crashing. I got clock speed improvement on my GPU 5700XT but fallout 4 does not make use of it. I dont really play any other games. So for me its just not worth it. Lol the games I play must be old now.

In your case you just hit the limits of your VRAM,overclocking the GPU itself won't help much if it's bottlenecked by the memory.

Just now, oldSock said:

The myth

Overclocking is no myth

Just now, oldSock said:

Yes it may look very nice on benchmarks but all and all it is about where it stops.

Do a 1GHz overclock,test the performance and if it doesn't give a significant boost in performance then i will turn into a banana.

Just now, Vishera said:

Do a 1GHz overclock,test the performance and if it doesn't give a significant boost in performance then i am a banana.

sure my cpu gets to over 100c in under 60 seconds during a benchmark, but hey, at least my ryzen 5 2600 is like 0.3% faster than a ryzen 5 2600x

Well, a very short answer is: That depends.

Overclocking is worth if you are trying to squeeze or push your GPU a little harder to improve fps in certain game without needing to spend money on a new graphic card.

Overclocking is not worth because it puts strain to your components, consume higher power and produce more heat.

Generally speaking, overclocking your GPU RAM gives a little boosts on GPU performance, so you can start overclock your GPU RAM by adding about 25MHz for each successful test until the GPU became unstable or produce artefact. It may take a long time to find which GPU RAM frequency works best for your GPU. You can then overclock your GPU after that.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

8 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

sure my cpu gets to over 100c in under 60 seconds during a benchmark, but hey, at least my ryzen 5 2600 is like 0.3% faster than a ryzen 5 2600x

If that's the case, I would suggest you to get a better heat sink for your CPU. A cheap tower like Cooler Master Hyper 212 is good at handling that heat.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I have a Hyper 212 EVO,max temp after 1 hour of Prime95 is 70C in ambient temperature of 35C (tested in the summer)

And my 2600 is the same as a 2600X so comparing them doesn't make any sense (they are literally the same silicon)

Just now, Vishera said:

And my 2600 is the same as a 2600X so comparing them doesn't make any sense

ahem, i did it with the ryzen 5 2600's stock cooler

Just now, Chiyawa said:

If that's the case, I would suggest you to get a better heat sink for your CPU. A cheap tower like Cooler Master Hyper 212 is good at handling that heat.

nah im too cheap for something like that, thats why i have a psu thats 750w thats neither even white rated or bronze rated

1 hour ago, GoodEnough said:

Doing that does absolutely nothing in gpuz the voltage stays the same no matter where you put the voltage slider.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6