Entire database, including backups, of the Brazilian Supreme Court of Justice encrypted by hackers

LRossi

Summary

The Brazilian Supreme Court of Justice, second-highest court in the Country (hierarchically beneath the Federal Supreme Court), suffered a cybernetic attack today. According to the report, the servers containing the entirety of the court's database have been encrypted by hackers, basically rendering the court useless until the issue has been dealt with. After encrypting the main database, the hackers managed to encrypt the backup servers as well. Technicians are trying to recover data from physical backup tapes. It is unsure at this point if all data will be recovered, or if a few days, weeks or months of data will be lost, including sensitive case files. No report was made so far if this was a case of ransomware or just foul play.

Quotes

The publication Bastidor states that third party companies and the Federal Police are attempting to unencrypt the servers, but there's no indication at the moment that the hired technicians will be able to do it in the next few days. The situation is made worse because even the Court's backups were encrypted by the criminals.

With that, the SCJ is completely blind at the moment, without access to a vast and historical database of court cases. The attack is certainly the worst ever perpetrated against a State institution in the history of the Country.

My thoughts

Well...shit.

An attack of such magnitude raises questions about a possible targeted attack, since this Court deals with cases involving very powerful people.

Sources

https://brazilian.report/tech/2020/11/05/massive-hackers-attack-brazilian-government-on-alert/

[In portuguese]: https://www.tecmundo.com.br/seguranca/206233-ataque-hacker-ter-atingido-stj-pf-investiga.htm

10 minutes ago, LRossi said:

An attack of such magnitude raises questions about a possible targeted attack, since this Court deals with cases involving very powerful people.

Indeed I thought it's highly possible if it caused by one of them powerful people so...

Or might be a huge-ass ransomware case.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

prisoners.thumb.jpeg.ea2532ec6941631c9995d99f1aa15456.jpeg

Wow, great job Brazil!

/s

Let's hope there is anyone around capable of digitizing those tapes 😳

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

24 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

My question is why and how the backups where accessible from the main system to encrypt.

Never been to Brazil, I assume? 😄 hehe

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Most likely a stupid ransomware. I bet it was another SMB issue that the IT overlooked.

Or the classical management situation...IT says something needs upgrading/updating and management says too bad it's not in the budget, so key systems remain unpatched (due to being outdated)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

18 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

No conspiracy needed. Most government systems have laughable security. Its actually amazing that there aren't more breaches than there are. We are all living in a fool's paradise.

That is true even if this *was* a conspiracy, though I don't believe it was... It just makes to much sense for criminal minds to do something like that, no conspiracy needed. 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, CarlBar said:

My question is why and how the backups where accessible from the main system to encrypt.

Its a 3rd world country, who knows if it was an inside job or not. Typically people would just blame Russia.

Was there any demand for money to get the info back?

6 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Indeed I thought it's highly possible if it caused by one of them powerful people so...

Or might be a huge-ass ransomware case.

You'd have to know the network pretty well to do that, or have someone very gullible inside of the organization. 

Attacks like this require recon and at some point along the line definitely some social engineering.  Definitely targeted, and there's probably going to be someone blamed within the organization. 

6 hours ago, CarlBar said:

It's pretty common as they want to save money, time and resources by having a main digital system they backup to.  

I'm glad they had tapes. 

Even then, the real question is how the attackers compromised the backups... a lot of governments have strict regulation on how long files must be retained, and usually these systems provide a method to enforce data retention which cannot be overwritten by anyone, even an administrator. 

Seems like whoever they are using as a service provider might be one of the issues. 

2 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Read below.

(...) 

Sometimes people forget that the third world is the only one left, and we're all living in it. 

2 hours ago, Akolyte said:

You'd have to know the network pretty well to do that, or have someone very gullible inside of the organization. 

Attacks like this require recon and at some point along the line definitely some social engineering.  Definitely targeted, and there's probably going to be someone blamed within the organization. 

Yeah, I actually thought the same if the attack came from someone powerful enough to do so.

It's definitely like them movies, but it's still possible (even only for little) somehow.

1 hour ago, Sakuriru said:

"Why do we need a cybersecurity person? The [developers/network engineers/data center engineers] can do that. Nothing bad has happened anyway." they say when the topic comes up. This disregard and complacency is based on poor decision making and poor risk assessment that, "If nothing bad has happened, nothing will happen." Of course, this statement couldn't be more wrong but people use it all the time to justify their risk taking behavior. It's a nasty thought habit humans have.

Couldn't agree more. Lots of people would just... Disregard security thingies because simply they have to see if they're down first. And, well. Could blame someone that don't wanna expense some money on cybersecurity people for the sake of something like this.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Update: apparently, the hacker has the court's data and experts fear a major leak on classified and sensitive cases. The Court's website is still down (https://www.stj.jus.br/), with just some updates posted on the efforts made so far.