Work gave me €5k to spend on whatever I want by Dec 31 or lose it, what do I spend it on?

MountandBlader

Literally anything, but I'm thinking about building or buying a pre-build PC.

What do you all have for your home offices that you absolutely love?

Any recommendations on a equipment rack to stack servers/network gear on?

Sky's the limit here folks, please help.

well since you brought home office into the mix i would suggest getting a really high quality chair like the well known Sedus Early Bird which is also just bought for myself this year as im permanently in homeoffice now.

Once you spec this chair with some extras it becomes expensive real quick, i spend a little over 1000€ for it but its absolutely worth it.

the remaining 4k can be spend on a really good PC with a nice monitor and you gonna be sitting like a king for hours without destroying your back.

Also if your table sucks also get a better one from this budget.

what is your work and what do you need?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Well what do you have already and what do you want?

Personally I would look into Multiple Monitors, Standup Desk, nice office chair, upgraded computer. Web camera microphone for voice conferencing. Business grade Router and Access points. 

2 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Well what do you have already and what do you want?

Personally I would look into Multiple Monitors, Standup Desk, nice office chair, upgraded computer. Web camera microphone for voice conferencing. Business grade Router and Access points. 

What do you suggest for a Web Cam and Mic? Half of my work days are spent on Zoom calls.

I work in IT for those of you asking.

On yours best food, or on good food that you think will be good for you. To feel the food and drink you want and pay cooker to make it. That's first, second whatever you need now, third buy something for gift to someone if you didn't spend all money, fourth buy again something that you need now or spend all money don't leave nothing and fifth buy storage. 

5 minutes ago, MountandBlader said:

What do you suggest for a Web Cam and Mic? Half of my work days are spent on Zoom calls.

It has been awhile since I have looked for a good webcam last I check Logitech was the industry standard. I think it was like the C920 HD PRO was the most popular.
But if price is no option why not go for the top of the line Logitech Brio Ultra HD Pro? 4K HRD, and Windows Hello support.

As for a mic I can't really help you their. There are a bunch of options out there anywhere from crappy built in mics on the webcam to headsets to desk mounted mics.   

1 minute ago, Keith W said:

Personally if it were me I would build a number of computers and then donate them to my local community centre for the homeless and other socially disadvantaged people.

This is an excellent way to get fired and maybe even sued. 

2 minutes ago, Keith W said:

What on earth are you talking about?

Maybe I misunderstood the initial post. I am under the impression that the company gave him a budget to buy equipment which he will use for work. 

Inflatable ball pit

for the office of course

They/Them

rgb go woosh woosh fps higher

Ryzen 5 3600X  | Asus ROG Strix B550-E | Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge | 32G DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM750x | Corsair 4000D Airflow

Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red | Ducky Mecha Mini | Glorious Model D-

Nintendo Switch | Xbox One

44 minutes ago, MountandBlader said:

Logitech Brio 4k is a great webcam. Blue yeti pro for the mic.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

40 minutes ago, MountandBlader said:

Honestly you could go with a XLR AT2020 and a mixer that supports phantom power, or you could just get the USB AT2020 but I have a massive distaste for USB mics, is it overkill, yes, but it isn't actually that expensive. 

Don't forget some nice comfortable headphones, I use some AKG K702 headphones, and I can wear them for hours without them bothering me. 

both of these are overkill for your needs, but hey the sky is the limit! 

As for webcam I use a C920 and it works just fine, but if the sky is the limit then why not go for a top of the range logitech cam like another mentioned. 

Then after all this work from home stuff is done with you got a killer audio set up (Not the best mind you, but something to be admired none-the-less) 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 hours ago, RollinLower said:

well, what kind of work are you in? what do you need to do your work from home?

Its a dream build, otherwise would have specified the work done specifically.

Went through the entire thread to read every OP post, even still never responded to anything specific.

Day Dream build posts are common.

Reminds me of a song by the Bare Naked Ladies "If I had a million dollars"

18 hours ago, RollinLower said:

well, what kind of work are you in? what do you need to do your work from home?

Spoiler

Lenny Face GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Build out your home network.  Save €100 and buy yourself a new button-down so you look crispy for those Zoom calls.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

18 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

but I have a massive distaste for USB mics, is it overkill, yes, but it isn't actually that expensive. 

I hate usb mics

I would go at2020 with a foucusrite scarlet solo or 2i2

as for headphone that's his personal preference

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, sub68 said:

My work uses this model for videoconferencing :)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

Just now, X-System said:

My work uses this model for videoconferencing :)

pretty solid units and the only series I recommend

if it survives a middle school than it ok for everything else (I used to do mixing in my middle school and peopl treat thing like nothing)

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I hate usb mics

as for headphone that's his personal preference

That's exactly why I didn't actually advise any headphones, just said to get comfortable ones and mentioned the pair that I use. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

just said to get comfortable ones and mentioned the pair that I use.

AKG are great

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

That's exactly why I didn't actually advise any headphones

I wasn't saying your pair was bad I was just quoting that mics usb mics are bad

(I am sry about the mixup)

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

20 hours ago, MountandBlader said:

Yeah but do they provide receipts? 

no they leave bite marks

I haven't been in a good financial situation in a few years. My needs are met, i got a good home, food etc. But I haven't been in a position where "I bought flowers to put on the table just because they looked pretty" in a long while. I would spend at least half of the money in that way, buying the "non-sensible" things that I've wanted but never felt I could prioritize. Taking a day at a spa with a massage, buying pretty flowers, replacing my functional but dull cutlery and buy nicer stuff. 

If food is a hobby for you I could totally recommend getting a pressure cooker. a sous vide, vacuum packer- There are so many fun things to buy for a kitchen 😃