What were the reasons behind removing side panel case fans ?

G9XFTW
4 minutes ago, G9XFTW said:

Post 2012 you don't see much side panel mounted case fans. Why so?

Because it's less efficient than a modern standard configuration but it also potentially takes crucial space inside a case where a GPU would be.

How to Manage Your PC's Fans for Optimal Airflow and Cooling

4 minutes ago, G9XFTW said:

My best guess is it looks derpy as all heck and you need to do a weird unplugy no breaky cable dance every time you want to get into the system (speaking from experience). 

Times change. So do needs/wants. The industry will adapt as such. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 10/30/2020 at 1:47 AM, G9XFTW said:

tempered glass

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 10/30/2020 at 1:51 AM, AndreiArgeanu said:

Because it's less efficient than a modern standard configuration but it also potentially takes crucial space inside a case where a GPU would be.

How to Manage Your PC's Fans for Optimal Airflow and Cooling

that an old case layout i disagree. only reason to have air go in to the front was to go across the hdd. but people uses ssd /m.2 and there normally in a basement or on the back so no need for front intake anymore. side intake for a vertical gpu would be ideal but because of tempered glass that not an option and it was met to mostly be for cpu coolers that were an down force. it was replaced with the tower cooler and 99% of them are mounted so you intake the front and out the back. and with a basement intake air not really doable ether so your stuck with front intake. case that move the psu to the top or to the back so you can intake front the bottom is the best. like the 011 011 dynamic. keep in mind you want it to flow so in one way and out another no adding cross flow.

pc air flow.jpg

vertical-layout-chimney-effect-imageleftorright.png

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

ok so lets go way back to when pcs uses 40mm fans on there cpu cooler (or non at all...) and you have 1 80mm out the back all pus were mounted on the top with a 80mm out the back. some moders would thow a 80mm fan in the front some times. and gpus dint have fans at all.

well then the 92mm fan came out for the cpu coolers and that extremely loud thermal take volcano....for the amd 64...

still case used 80mm fan in the back...

later on 120mm became more cheap so they started to add them to the psu so it can intake from the bottem of the pus and out the back of the psu making the pus airflow us full.

still case used 80mm fan in the back...

so finally case started to add 120mm fans to the back and front but mostly just 1 in front and 1 in back with a 120mm in the psu. also they would put the hhd cage behind the front fan to get some air cooling.

as more and ,more stuff was add to the mb you need less cards in the case so that frees up space to make the gpus biger and make them  1 1/2 2 slot and there were the blowers that ran HOT also sil made this even hotter...

so at some point custom water cooling was added and as they got better and bigger rads more fans were added to the top and front of the case also this time they started to move the psu to the bottom of the case (so the cables looked better i guess...)

alot of people were modding there case and cutting a side panels in so they started coming with side panels and there was a time were adding may fans to the side panel was also a thing like the hafx case 4x 120, 1x200 4x 140 same with the antec case with there big 200mm on top and 3x 120mm in the front.

everyone and there dog was water cooling there x58 and it was so good they dint need to upgrade for years.

then they started to get rid of 5.25 bays and add tempergalss to the mix. then the basement came in play

then no 5.25 bays 3x 120mm front and 3x 120mm  1x120 back.

to reduce cost they only add 2x120 top and 2/3 120mm front $150-  3+3 was now for the custom water cooling case and 3x aio and was $150+

for a time there was a push for 200mm rads but im guess not many fans were made and aio was killing the custom water cooling market. (yes at one point a barb cost $2 and now it cost $15+) or you can blame it on the 2008 crash.

kinda the history may not be 100% on par so dont flame me.

i myslef was in to modding and adding 120mm fans w/e and i had the antch 1200 that people started you tube channels to do mods to it. one guy that was his business. also mnpctech was posting to youtube and his famous turbine fan as well as case modding.

but people don't mod like they once use too... kinda sad.

Yeah, they sucked. 

I've also never seen one personally. There are a lot of weird, inefficient configurations around the late 90's/early 2000's though, I know that much. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'm guessing another reason was the decline of multi-GPU: that fan position is best for forcing air between tightly layered blower cards, and that's not really a problem anymore.

7 hours ago, Grabhanem said:

I'm guessing another reason was the decline of multi-GPU: that fan position is best for forcing air between tightly layered blower cards, and that's not really a problem anymore.

ya but i rarely seen people even use the side fan. ones that had a window people would rather not block the view over a bit more cooling. i got an azza solano 1000 for $40 new and the case came with 200mm on top, 200mm on the side, 2x 140mm in the front and a 120mm on the back. i put an 120mm on the bottom for ss an had many for the blue led.

i no some of the inwin and HAF 932 case could have up to 200mm on the side or 4x 120mm. i always wanted an haf -x but i got the antec 1200 instead.

also at some point the gpu's got so long they had to make case with removable hdd cages.

Edited by thrasher_565

I actually think the side panel fans has always been a excellent idea, but never been done in a good way.  So what if part of the side panel had a mesh? Some people would rather not even have a window at all. Upper half of the side panel being a window really isn't too bad. There isn't much to look at many case with long shroud covering the power supply to the front of the case down below anyways.

This is how I think it can be done with:

Make the case wide enough too accommodate the typical graphics card so it can be mounted normally in the PCI slot. The case should also be wide enough so fans can be mounted on the side with a removable bracket so the fans are not actually attached to the side panel. This would also allow the option to mount a slim radiator with fans.

Another way is to mount the fans onto the side panel. Fan cables are plugged into hub on the side panel. When the side panel is fitted on properly to the case a circuit if formed that connects the fan to a cable plugged into the motherboard.

It would be kind of nice to have some options like this being to make things have more optional functions.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

1 hour ago, alyen said:

I actually think the side panel fans has always been a excellent idea, but never been done in a good way.  So what if part of the side panel had a mesh? Some people would rather not even have a window at all. Upper half of the side panel being a window really isn't too bad. There isn't much to look at many case with long shroud covering the power supply to the front of the case down below anyways.

This is how I think it can be done with:

Make the case wide enough too accommodate the typical graphics card so it can be mounted normally in the PCI slot. The case should also be wide enough so fans can be mounted on the side with a removable bracket so the fans are not actually attached to the side panel. This would also allow the option to mount a slim radiator with fans.

Another way is to mount the fans onto the side panel. Fan cables are plugged into hub on the side panel. When the side panel is fitted on properly to the case a circuit if formed that connects the fan to a cable plugged into the motherboard.

It would be kind of nice to have some options like this being to make things have more optional functions.

psu basements came with the tempered glass as people would mod and add there own cover over the psu if the case didn't have one. we don't need the side slot if the airflow in the case is planed out but most just do the bare minimum. the problem is with the gpu. its only now with the 30xx that we see air can go threw it although the non founders are still using the tradition 3 fan set up.  i no therm alright did some cool stuff in the day weather or not it worked.

thermalright_new_vga_cooler_for_fermi_ca

radeon_hd_5850_thermalright_spitfire.jpg

club3d-2.jpg

sm8Iss2.jpg

img_5b915c3c52212.png

img_5b9159b863788.png

Edited by thrasher_565

On 11/3/2020 at 2:22 PM, thrasher_565 said:

sm8Iss2.jpg

Am I just looking at this wrong, or arent these fans backwards? They should be exhausting the GPU fins not blowing air into them 😂

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25