What GPU Will You Buy?

Thinkfreely

What GPU Will You Buy and Why?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. AMD has announced big NAVI, What GPU Are You Going To Buy and Why?

• AMD 6900xt
    • AMD 6800xt
    • AMD 6800
    • Waiting on other AMD Gpus to come out not yet listed
    • Nvidia 3090
    • Nvidia 3080
    • Nvidia 3070
    • Waiting on other Nvidia Gpus to come out not yet listed
    • Not upgrading at all.

1 hour ago, Thinkfreely said:

There is a small latch near the right side of the PCIE slot that you have to push to unlock it. That is normal.

yeah that's what I was talking about. But no matter how hard I press down on it it won't budge. And I'm not gonna use full force, stuff is expensive and brittle looking

Assuming the performance graphs are somewhat accurate I'm glad to see that the 6800XT trades blows with the RTX 3080, it actually outperforms with AMD Boost and Smart access enabled. However my biggest concern is the driver support and maturity. Nvidia has invested a lot into driver updates and refinements such as game ready, and other stuff in the GeForce experience suite. I can't help but think, is it worth going with AMD this time because of $50? Is AMD drivers and features mature enough to compete with Nvidia? What do you guys think? 

18 minutes ago, Snoopylicious said:

Assuming the performance graphs are somewhat accurate I'm glad to see that the 6800XT trades blows with the RTX 3080, it actually outperforms with AMD Boost and Smart access enabled. However my biggest concern is the driver support and maturity. Nvidia has invested a lot into driver updates and refinements such as game ready, and other stuff in the GeForce experience suite. I can't help but think, is it worth going with AMD this time because of $50? Is AMD drivers and features mature enough to compete with Nvidia? What do you guys think? 

I agree it is something that needs considering.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 hour ago, Thinkfreely said:

Your a lucky one for actually getting your hands on one.

Yeah I sure am! It was well worth the hours and hours of refreshing and I haven't even come close to using all of it's capabilities!

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

33 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

yeah that's what I was talking about. But no matter how hard I press down on it it won't budge. And I'm not gonna use full force, stuff is expensive and brittle looking

As you're pushing the card down, you should be guiding it out as well, depending on if the case is vertical (graphics card is perpendicular to motherboard) or the case is horizontal (graphics card is along the y axis or up). If your case is vertical, have one hand under the card to slightly pull away from the motherboard and the other hand pushing the latch into the motherboard. If horizontal, grab the graphics card around the fans and backplate with one hand and push the latch inwards to the motherboard with the other. If you can't reach the latch for whatever reason, use something like the back of a long wood pencil, but make sure it doesn't slip and possibly rip a SMD off the motherboard. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

still not sure 6900xt or 3090 i really like the look for dlss

Thats honestly the 1 thing that Nvidia really has in the bag. They have had 2 generations to get better at ray tracing and dlss, and I don't think AMD can compete.

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 minute ago, Thinkfreely said:

Thats honestly the 1 thing that Nvidia really has in the bag. They have had 2 generations to get better at ray tracing and dlss, and I don't think AMD can compete.

yeah that's keeping me on getting the 3090 but $500 cheaper though oh idk 

I want a 6500xt/6600/6600xt (depending on pricing) but honestly I don't know if my R9 280X will be enough for me until then.  I might just buy a used 5600xt/1070 on ebay and wait for another launch in a year or two.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

I have a 1080ti that I bought used two years ago. I don't really feel a need to upgrade, so whenever availability gets sorted I'll figure out then if an upgrade is warranted. Ray tracing would be nice but given how few games have RT support, and even fewer of those are ones I would want to play (woo WW2 shooter 2020 edition woo)....I'm not going to buy based on RT abilities.

Now, if only the nvidia cards can drive an LG oled at 120Hz and variable refresh, that's a different story (and, I don't know whether AMD can/can't).

There's nothing in the Ampere lineup so far that's attractive for the kind of gaming that I do, so it will be either the 6800 or 6800XT. Had nvidia not cancelled their 20GB 3080, I'd still be on the fence. 

While Nvidia have their proprietary technologies, most of them are intangibles that I rarely use with my 2080. For capturing gameplay (not streaming) I find cpu h264 is better than nvenc, and the performance hit is no different. 

RT is still years away from being more than a gimmick from the RTX games I've played so far, and until it becomes ubiquitous there will be few use cases for DLSS either, and who knows when the magical unicorn version of DLSS upscaling will appear that works on any game with Temporal AA.  

I also Own a Vega 56 card and I recently switched it out for my 2080 to see what AMD have been up to, and the drivers/software on the AMD side are quite nice, a huge leap forward compared to a few years ago. The image sharpening and upscaling work well, as well as the improved color depth that Nvidia seem to lack. The software as a whole doesn't just look nicer than Nvidia's control panel and GF experience, but it's functionally superior as well. 

Nvidia are better at managing Vram usage in 4K gaming with only 8GB available, but I also notice texture quality of objects ingame will fluctuate noticeably on my 2080 when Vram usage gets close to 8GB, while with the Vega I can scale resolution down, turn on sharpening, and what I see onscreen in 4K looks better in some cases than what I see with the 2080 at full resolution. I suspect theres some trickery going on with Nvidia drivers to achieve that memory management, which seems to neutralize higher settings ingame.

Based on what I have experienced first hand, I'm going with AMD this round if there's availability. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 hours ago, Snoopylicious said:

The drivers are quite good right now, and since they don't have to switch to a new architecture for this launch, it shouldn't break anything significant.

5 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

There's nothing in the Ampere lineup so far that's attractive for the kind of gaming that I do, which is the reason I am upgrading, so it will be either the 6800 or 6800XT. Had nvidia not cancelled their 20GB 3080, I'd still be on the fence.

What gaming do you do then?

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

RT is still years away from being more than a gimmick from the RTX games I've played so far

Well, it has been a few years since the launch of that card, and ray tracing is a major selling point for upcoming games... It's also easier and faster to have hardware raytracing than it is to rasterize everything. (and it should reduce install size if not including rasterized lighting)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Considering they come with 16GB and are more likely available probably amd, but I feel waiting a bit too see how it all plays out, proper reviews, a possible 3xxx refresh... Would be the best thing to do right now. 

Tbh I also don't like how big the NV gpus are, so that's another reason to sway me towards the AMD maybe (6800 or 6800xt)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Nvidia are better at managing Vram usage in 4K gaming with only 8GB available, but I also notice texture quality of objects ingame will fluctuate noticeably on my 2080 when Vram usage gets close to 8GB, while with the Vega I can scale resolution down, turn on sharpening, and what I see onscreen in 4K looks better in some cases than what I see with the 2080 at full resolution. I suspect theres some trickery going on with Nvidia drivers to achieve that memory management, which seems to neutralize higher settings ingame.

This might be really a vram managing thing... I'm noticing the same but that is an in-game setting in my case, I don't think a 2080 should be doing that by itself, but I'm not sure either... 

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

cpu h264 is better than nvenc, and the performance hit is no different. 

That probably highly depends on the cpu whereas shadow play just works at least "acceptably" as long the card supports it.

Out of curiosity what program do you use for this 'cpu recording' ? in my experience this has a massive performance hit even at (ridiculously) low settings.

^ I should probably add of course it does since the game already uses all cores up to 80/90% so for the average gaming cpu this isn't even an option (depending on the game) 

Kinda answered my own questions sorry about that! 😛

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'm hoping to be able to get a 3070 tomorrow, just gotta get lucky! 

Bobbyct

Main Build: Intel i7 10700k | EVGA Nvidia 3060ti FTW3 | Corsair RGB Vengeance Pro 4x8 @3200Corsair 465x iCUE Smart Case 

Really loved seeing AMD come out with something competitive today, but since both my monitors run Gsync I find myself still randomly refreshing to get an Aorus 3080 Master.  I figure I may as well get what paid for from that.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s | Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 | GeForce RTX 3080 VISION OC 10G | Lian iO1Dyamic | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W | Acer Predator X34 P | Acer XB271HU | NZXT Kraken Z73

I'm a little disappointed by the price of the 6800s. I was thinking (hoping) they'd be priced more aggressively to really put the pressure on nvidia. But having said that, I think I'm still choosing between the 6800xt and the 3080. Whichever is in stock 

Its so nice to have competition again. Let the discount wars begin. Nvidia really blew it with the 3000 series launch. 

i have a gsync monitor so m probably stuck getting a 3070, otherwise id go 6800 unless itll work with gsync. Screen tearing sucks. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

7 hours ago, chimimoryo said:

I'm a little disappointed by the price of the 6800s. I was thinking (hoping) they'd be priced more aggressively to really put the pressure on nvidia. But having said that, I think I'm still choosing between the 6800xt and the 3080. Whichever is in stock 

Bear in mind that the 6800XT benchmark was without using any of the beneficial settings that come from Zen3 + RDNA2. If you run both, and use Rage mode, (as in ATI Rage, which all the reviewers seem to have forgotten existed) you're likely to come in at or just below the 3090 for performance. (also, each of the RDNA2 cards will likely overlap their next higher tier counterparts with simple overclocking)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Definitely 6800xt/ 6900xt to go with my future 4k LG Oled 55cx (hopefully it will get FreeSync update) monitor and a PS5 controller.

PC couch potatoing is the next level of gaming.

On 10/29/2020 at 6:58 AM, jackkernaut said:

Definitely 6800xt/ 6900xt to go with my future 4k LG Oled 55cx (hopefully it will get FreeSync update) monitor and a PS5 controller.

PC couch potatoing is the next level of gaming.

Can they do a software patch for freesync?

Whatever is better for the money at the time, but i really don't need an upgrade from my 5700 series.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1