What GPU Will You Buy?

Thinkfreely

What GPU Will You Buy and Why?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. AMD has announced big NAVI, What GPU Are You Going To Buy and Why?

• AMD 6900xt
    • AMD 6800xt
    • AMD 6800
    • Waiting on other AMD Gpus to come out not yet listed
    • Nvidia 3090
    • Nvidia 3080
    • Nvidia 3070
    • Waiting on other Nvidia Gpus to come out not yet listed
    • Not upgrading at all.

The new AMD cards look really good

but I am going for the 3070 for the price/performance IF I can get one tomorrow. if not then I will wait 6 months

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

The new AMD cards look really good

but I am going for the 3070 for the price/performance IF I can get one tomorrow. if not then I will wait 6 months

I actually think alot of people thought this too. Even if the 6800 performs better, why pay $80 more for a gpu that is only maybe 5-6% faster and has worse dlss and raytracing.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Either the 3080, or the 6800XT. It depends on which is actually available first. Probably the latter, considering I'll also be getting a 5800X.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

I don't know yet. I haven't seen the new amd benchmarked. I need to compare performance with price between the new stuff & the old stuff.

They look pretty decent. I had to stop watching the AMD stream once they got to the 6800XT due to external conflicts but it seems to be very competitive, but I don't plan on upgrading in a long time for now. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

13 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Ask again after I can make an informed decision. Without benchmarks I'm not going to blindly buy one or the other.

Nah you gotta jump on that pre-order hype train :P

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

7 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Either the 3080, or the 6800XT. It depends on which is actually available first. Probably the latter, considering I'll also be getting a 5800X.

Yeah smart memory is cool, but like Linus said it's kind of like ehhh cause it forces you to buy two components.

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

They look pretty decent. I had to stop watching the AMD stream once they got to the 6800XT due to external conflicts but it seems to be very competitive, but I don't plan on upgrading in a long time for now. 

Interesting, do you work for a computer shop? I work for a custom builder.

1 minute ago, Thinkfreely said:

Yeah smart memory is cool, but like Linus said it's kind of like ehhh cause it forces you to buy two components.

99% user are buying amd cpu already

2 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Nah you gotta jump on that pre-order hype train :P

k, preordering all the things nao!

3 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Interesting, do you work for a computer shop? I work for a custom builder.

Nope, just doing my 2nd year as a college student...I love everything involved with the tech of computers and gaming.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

a 3070 but to be honest I'm too scared to manually upgrade anyways. Recently put in a new cpu and everything went fine but I already noticed then that my current gpu is locked real tight to the motherboard. I would be too scared to use much force in case I break something

Likely a 6800XT just because of availability and 16GB of VRAM which will be very welcome when I eventually upgrade from 1080p

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

The new AMD GPU's are interesting, 16GB on RX 6800 which makes it more interesting than the 3070 in my opinion, I'm considering an AMD card if they are available to buy.

I bought a 3080.

no regrets, performs great and no issues with drivers or anything.

If I had to choose now, I’d go for the 3080 or 6800XT, ideally 3080 but whatever is available of those two cards given how they trade blows and perform very similarly

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

1 hour ago, superfantastic said:

a 3070 but to be honest I'm too scared to manually upgrade anyways. Recently put in a new cpu and everything went fine but I already noticed then that my current gpu is locked real tight to the motherboard. I would be too scared to use much force in case I break something

There is a small latch near the right side of the PCIE slot that you have to push to unlock it. That is normal.

1 hour ago, Action_Johnson said:

Likely a 6800XT just because of availability and 16GB of VRAM which will be very welcome when I eventually upgrade from 1080p

I honestly feel like its the sweet spot for VRAM, especially if you play at 1440p or 4k with higher textures.

39 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

I bought a 3080.

no regrets, performs great and no issues with drivers or anything.

If I had to choose now, I’d go for the 3080 or 6800XT, ideally 3080 but whatever is available of those two cards given how they trade blows and perform very similarly

Your a lucky one for actually getting your hands on one.

I am gonna be totally honest: If I had got my hands on an RTX 3080, I'd have bought that one. However the 6800XT looks very promising. If the benchmarks are halfway true I'll actually boycot Nvidia for at least one Gen and skip the 3000 series. The shit that they pulled is unacceptable to me. And since I am playing 4k native, I don't care about DLSS performances - everybody seems to only talk about that and how inferior AMD is in that perspective.