Replacing Caps in my Power Supply

MubeenAhmed1920

Hi, I've been on this forum before and I have a question about my power supply.

I dont know too much about voltage and stuff, I know basics of them from school but basically my power supply is making a high pitched sound like CRTs did, and it turns out theres bulging caps which need to be replaced ASAP.

I have practiced soldering and stuff and I've taken a lot of caps off which I keep for cases like this but since I dont want to ruin my PSU I dont want to put in the wrong replacement caps 

The caps which need replacing are 

10v 1000mF 105°

And I've got a lot of replacement caps at

10v 220mF 105°

Would this be fine? I want to make sure so I dont destroy my PSU since this is all I have access to right now. I've attached some photos so you can see the caps.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and thanks for any help you guys can give me :)

- Mubeen 

16032883039783607258144384959379.jpg

16032883574331511937668704180536.jpg

dont risk it.. you screw up, you will blow up the PSU and all your components and risk starting a fire. Just replace the PSU with a new unit. They're designed to not be user serviceable for a reason. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, MubeenAhmed1920 said:

Would this be fine? I want to make sure so I don't destroy my PSU since this is all I have access to right now.

You won't only just destroy your PSU but other components inside the computer that this PSU will be connected to. As @Skiiwee29 recommended, replacing the PSU is a much better solution to the problem you are having and this does not appear to be a high quality PSU. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

those caps look shitty and the replacements you have are high quality. If the PSU you're fixing is worth it (80 plus gold or whatever), then replace them. If it's some crappy unit then dont bother

nevermind the listed replacements have different capacitance, that won't work

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

dont risk it.. you screw up, you will blow up the PSU and all your components and risk starting a fire. Just replace the PSU with a new unit. They're designed to not be user serviceable for a reason. 

ceo of scaring people 

1 minute ago, just_dave said:

ceo of scaring people 

no, just giving the honest truth... if they knew what they were doing and knew about electrical engineering and how to do it, they wouldn't have had to come ask on which to use. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, MubeenAhmed1920 said:

10v 1000mF 105°

10v 220mF 105°

Would this be fine?

I don't think using capacitors with a different capacitance rating would go without consequences. I won't add to the fearmongering, not all problems manifest themselves with explosions... But I also wouldn't replace them with the wrong parts, at least not without a full understanding of how the different rating will impact its behavior and what are you risking by doing it (like the PSU just not starting, shutting itself under load, overheating, etc).

2 minutes ago, just_dave said:

ceo of scaring people 

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

no, just giving the honest truth... if they knew what they were doing and knew about electrical engineering and how to do it, they wouldn't have had to come ask on which to use. 

pretty much this. If he knows what he's doing he doesn't have to ask here in the first place. While this is a tech forum and the topic is appropriate, still, the dangers of working with PSU are great and the charge from the caps can easily kill a human even after having it unplugged for days.

Nobody with a right mind is going to take responsibility for advice that could endanger somebody. 

16 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

yeah they might get a shock but 12V is not going blow their house into pieces, saying "touch it and you risk a fire" is like the li ion battery paranoia

17 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Nobody with a right mind is going to take responsibility for advice that could endanger somebody. 

You're supposed to have a brain in the first place. If you blindly listen to an internet stranger's advice without any research or background checks then you can't expect anything good to happen.

35 minutes ago, MubeenAhmed1920 said:

10v 1000mF 105°

10v 220mF 105°

Would this be fine?

No. Either order matching replacements (type, size, ratings) for each cap, or replace PSU. The latter will likely be cheaper...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Well if the PSU is old enough that the caps are going bad then it needs to be replaced with a new PSU.

That is the bottom line here.

Also doesn't look like the PSU in question is a high quality unit from what I can see.

So it needs to be replaced either way.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

pretty much this. If he knows what he's doing he doesn't have to ask here in the first place.

3 hours ago, MubeenAhmed1920 said:

I dont know too much about voltage and stuff,

I mean.. he's working on a shag rug.  That's the first warning sign right there.

I'm noting some cheap stuff on a single layer PCB, so I'm going to say it's a cheap unit that I wouldn't  bother with in the first place.

I mean, Teapo SC's aren't bad caps, but they failed for a reason.  Poor thermals?  Bad design?  We can only guess.

Hi everyone, didn't expect so many replies lol. After reading the first comment I got after posting, I decided to put the PSU back together and it still works for now. I'm a little worried for myself since it's on the verge of blowing up, but I'm going to try and get it replaced with a proper branded PSU ASAP. It's probably generic by the looks of it and it's super old since it came from a PC with those brands like eMachines which rebrand proper branded computers and sell them.

As far as everyone would ask, I do love tech, and I love taking apart and trying to fix things. It's just I never have come to an instance like this so my knowledge of capacitors and such are really low so here the internet shines. Thanks to everyone who's replied to this thread :)

I'll let you guys know if anything happens!

Take care guys, Mubeen.

11 hours ago, just_dave said:

yeah they might get a shock but 12V is not going blow their house into pieces, saying "touch it and you risk a fire" is like the li ion battery paranoia

Just because the output is 12V, doesn't mean that that's the highest voltage inside a PSU...

:)

1 hour ago, MubeenAhmed1920 said:

Hi everyone, didn't expect so many replies lol. After reading the first comment I got after posting, I decided to put the PSU back together and it still works for now. I'm a little worried for myself since it's on the verge of blowing up

The fact that it's "working" and "on the verge of blowing up" means nothing.

Secondary capacitors are filtering out ripple.  If the caps can't do that, the ripple goes to your components.  Your components are not made to filter out a lot of ripple.  Therefore, your components end up dying because you refuse to replace your PSU.  Therefore, you end up replacing your entire PC.

Good luck.

ezgif-2-8e53b8dc1d93.gif.e8d3839287657c1ee4320c08040781bb.gif

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

Just because the output is 12V, doesn't mean that that's the highest voltage inside a PSU...

Sure, there is the rectified mains on the primary side, but the caps he took pics of are rated for 10V, which means they're likely on the 5V rail.

Still doesn't change the fact that if you touch 2cm away from there you may get shocked, that's the whole point.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2