LTT photoshopping medical disability onto Linus for clickbait... really?!

Roswell

Legitimate question @Vitamanic and i want you to answer this; Do you HONESTLY believe that LTT made that thumbnail thinking "lolol lets make this look like someone with Strabismus (or any other visual impairment) to get more clicks"? and i do mean HONESTLY.

Because if your answer to this is "no" then you're looking for offense where there is none to be had and you've just completely ignored the intention of what such an expression was mean to convey. intention is everything.

3 hours ago, DutchGuyTom said:

And you're forgetting that some people have strabismus and live with it everyday. For them, this thumbnail could be another reminder that their disability is just a funny face to others. 

I disagree, because you can find something upsetting or offensive in pretty much any thumbnail.

image.png.aac3e04fa1e536ce91bd72fb4e81a953.png

This might upset people that have bad teeth

---

image.png.13b9d8cb9cb5dbabd9e57d89ddbf1ada.png

This might upset people who cannot get into a relationship, just had a bad breakup, or recently lost their partner

---

now lets look at some random on LTT thumbnails from my youtube front page

image.png.560275e2d40e16987bdd51e05894d7e1.png

this could be offensive to trans people who don't see themselves as passable

----

image.png.ebdc5262100a8973aeb5d5f2cd77a0da.png

this could be a reminder to deaf people that they will never be able to hear music

---

image.png.b81e3e8c8c445a1bc8b2874338de3b8e.png

same thing OP made this thread about

---

image.png.d1b844f13b71d6cb7aa45bb5d773f529.png

who knows, this could bring up some trauma some kids had at school

Do you think any of these creators made these thumbnails with malicious intent? Or was i just looking for things that COULD be offensive to some people?

2 hours ago, DutchGuyTom said:

Edit: Reddit has some better commentary on this topic from people who actually experience the disability (at least to a point, it is reddit after all). 

except they are not joking at anyone's expense, it's a very VERY common facial expression (especially in animation) used to convey total confusion. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Getting some deja vu from the dyslexia thread that we had a while back..

yea that dj woo is supra wired

/s

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

12 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Do you think any of these creators made these thumbnails with malicious intent?

no, but it's a "mocking" type of face that is on the thumbnail, or something to be made fun of, something "funny"

it's not far fetched to think negatively when it's used in that fashion.

while the examples you gave are pretty far fetched. (but I'm sure someone out there will be very offended anyways)

not sure how to word how I think but yea

again, the creators didn't mean to mock anyone.

And it's very hard to draw the line on whether such a situation is acceptable.

at the same time, OP made some pretty bold claims as if LMG is trying to mock people with disabilities just for clicks, which isn't the case. Could've worded it better.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I legit know people with this condition. Even worked with one for years. People don't typically comment on the eyes. Some do made jokes like "are you looking at me or..." but it's taken in stride.

They are well aware of how funny it might look to others and usually aren't offended by it. It's just a common thing to them. The one I worked with even jumped on any opportunity to joke around about it.

It even runs partially in my family (Strabisme in French. It's somewhat fixable through surgery, but sometimes one eye veer to a side when tired or something. Both my mom and brother have/had it in one eye, though not to an extreme like some picture you see online, maybe a few degrees off, just enough to be noticeable).

Sure, there might be some people who legit can be very mad or sad about it...

But pretending to be mad about it when YOU don't have it, is EXACTLY what a snowflake does.

Getting mad on behalf of others, as if they somehow aren't capable of getting mad and speaking up for themselves, is frankly even more offensive to me.

There's no "right" or "wrong" here OP. No one here thinks LMG did this on purpose to make fun of a disability (there's also some people who can pull off a face like that without Strabismus).

It's all in good faith with the intention to get a quick laugh out of someone by making Linus "look foolish". Nothing more. Nothing less.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 3.19.28 AM.png

I definitely noticed something was off, and realized that it must be Strabismus. 

On that context though, as many people in this thread seem to think, it's not "just a joke".

It's more of a reference to a paradox of MS making products for their rival, in this case, PlayStation. It's portraying a boggled, confused state of thought in a graphic yet metaphorical manner. 

Yknow, i dont mind slightly offensive jokes myself. And i can laugh about stuff like that. And i often do make those jokes myself! 

But, i always make those jokes between friends i know wont care as much. But, if you do a joke like this in a video, where lots of people can see it. I'm sure there's gonna be some that actually take offense and are gonna be hurt. 

So i'd say the moral of the story is... Those jokes are fine! But some people will take offense to it! Its always better to know how people are gonna react, and thus keep the group who you make the joke to small.

What is it with people lately getting offended for others with minor, irrelevant details in LTT videos? lol. What has this forum come to...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

Yknow, i dont mind slightly offensive jokes myself. And i can laugh about stuff like that. And i often do make those jokes myself! 

But, i always make those jokes between friends i know wont care as much. But, if you do a joke like this in a video, where lots of people can see it. I'm sure there's gonna be some that actually take offense and are gonna be hurt. 

So i'd say the moral of the story is... Those jokes are fine! But some people will take offense to it! Its always better to know how people are gonna react, and thus keep the group who you make the joke to small.

While I don't mind creators making offensive jokes at all, I do hold to this principle when making those jokes themselves.

However, like many other have said, the thumbnail in question isn't meant to make fun of people with the aforementioned disabilities, but it's to exaggerate Linus's confusion regarding Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo being a timed exclusives on PS5 despite Microsoft owning both games. 

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

4 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

So here's the deal... I'm not some fragile snowflake, nor do I have said disability. But let's get real, photoshopping a a visual impairment disability onto Linus for laughs and clickbait is of really poor taste.

Your profile picture suggests that women are air-heads, I am offended on their behalf and you should take it down immediately.

image.png.79abd455b4c204f1cc0f668bee167163.png

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

(there's also some people who can pull off a face like that without Strabismus)

Just to chime in, I actually could do it when I was younger. I haven't done it in like two decades or so, because it always made my eyes hurt, but I could pull my right eye a tad to the left or the right while keeping my left one in place. Possibly related to the fact that I can look past an object into the distance, so I see the object in double, but I can still focus both my eyes to it separately.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What has this forum come to...

What have people come to...

It's interesting because I was recently watching YT videos from top level psychologists, some of them precisely about the snowflake / SJW / overprotected / overoffended / anti free speech crowd, and... their predictions for what society would become if this group became too prevalent were pretty frightening. 

Would love to link but can't find it in the many hours of videos I went through.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Why are all these people getting offended when somebody mentions some stupid thumbnail?

People are getting offended over someone mentioning stupid editing on the thumbnail. 

Or is it just some internet meme thing to say that "oh everybody getting offended nowadays oh why oh why take me back 50 years when nobody was ever offended"? 

And because it's a meme it must be so so funny so everybody repeats it.

15 minutes ago, nonamesm3 said:

Why are all these people getting offended when somebody mentions some stupid thumbnail?

People are getting offended over someone mentioning stupid editing on the thumbnail. 

Or is it just some internet meme thing to say that "oh everybody getting offended nowadays oh why oh why take me back 50 years when nobody was ever offended"? 

I don't think everyone's offended. Just that no one appreciates when people cry wolf.

28 minutes ago, nonamesm3 said:

don't think the people who commented here are offended, maybe one, but atleast in my case, it's just pointing out that the thumbnail wasn't made with malicious intent and that looking at it as if it was, just ruins what was supposed to be linus with funny eyes.

basically most people here are trying to deescalate the comments from the OP (original poster) as it's a serious allegation.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

And no one is seeing the irony in a clickbait thread title about a "clickbait" video (that isn't...)

I mean, when I look at the image and think about it for a second, to me anyway, it looks like someone with a severe mental disability. 

But, I don't think for a second that was the intention of Linus or his team and, consequently, I would not find it offensive. 

Intent is important. 

I suspect the implication was whatever was being looked at had scrambled Linus brain in a comedic, "this is totally crazy, guys", type of way.

That's just my impression, anyway. 

34 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I suspect the implication was whatever was being looked at had scrambled Linus brain in a comedic, "this is totally crazy, guys", type of way.

And as previously mentioned the fact that MS is hitting in 2 different directions.

2 hours ago, nonamesm3 said:

They don't, you entirely missed the 2nd degree prod.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2