Why do IHS still Exist?

Nanook

Why do CPU manufacturers still use integrated heat spreaders? GPU manufacturers have moved beyond that for long time now which allows for the coolers to make direct contact with the die. Only one single thermal bridge exists for which thermal paste is used.

Why can't CPU manufacturers start moving in that direction?

2 minutes ago, Nanook said:

Why can't CPU manufacturers start moving in that direction?

Moving back to that direction you mean of course ;)

Direct die cooling was basically the norm for years. Cracked dies from people installing their cooler wrong probably made Intel/AMD switch to an IHS instead.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Because a 10900K needs the extra surface area to dissipate the 300w at 5ghz heat it easily produces. :)

Because slightly worse temps is better than a cracked die. in my opinion at least.

The IHS is there to prevent the die from cracking when you want to use a cooler for the cpu. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

IHS may hinder thermal performance but IHS also act as a shield to prevent the die being chipped when you install your heatsink. CPU heatsinks tend to be pretty big and a little heavy.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Because a 10900K needs the extra surface area to dissipate the 300w at 5ghz heat it easily produces. :)

But can't that extra surface area just be the bottom of the cooler instead?

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Because slightly worse temps is better than a cracked die. in my opinion at least.

The IHS is there to prevent the die from cracking when you want to use a cooler for the cpu. 

But bare CPU dies are already common place in the laptop industry, and we don't hear much about cracked dies there?

1 minute ago, Nanook said:

But can't that extra surface area just be the bottom of the cooler instead?

Well the IHS plates are ALL soldered today (except like Ryzen Athlons) 

So you can consider the IHS plate an extension of the SOI in this respect being a permanent fixture. (generally not to be removed)

3 minutes ago, TotallyNotGigabit said:

IHS may hinder thermal performance but IHS also act as a shield to prevent the die being chipped when you install your heatsink. CPU heatsinks tend to be pretty big and a little heavy.

GPU's have big heavy coolers and they don't crack often.

1 hour ago, Nanook said:

and we don't hear much about cracked dies there?

the laptop is manufactured and assembled in a factory, also cooler's weight depends, some people have lighter coolers than others, and if a user put more pressure on the die than it can handle, it will crack, that would be a user error, and having slightly worse temps is better than a cracked die. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

But bare CPU dies are already common place in the laptop industry, and we don't hear much about cracked dies there?

You're not mounting 1 kg coolers on your laptop either :P

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

You're not mounting 1 kg coolers on your laptop either :P

We do that on bare GPU dies on our desktops all the time and no one bats an eye. Look at the heatsinks on the new RTX 3000 series, they are huge.

5 minutes ago, Nanook said:

We do that on bare GPU dies on our desktops all the time and no one bats an eye. Look at the heatsinks on the new RTX 3000 series, they are huge.

The difference there is the same as @TofuHaroto mentions. You don't buy a GPU and install a cooler yourself. Just like the laptops, the graphics cards are assembeled for you in the factory and you get the unit as a whole. For CPUs there's too many things that can go wrong during cooler installation that, as said, can crack the die. Too much pressure, unequal pressure, skewed mounting, wrong mounting. One mistake and it can break.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, Nanook said:

No one does that by bare hand. That's the difference. Just like with laptops, the GPU is assembled by a machine in a factory.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

if most or all CPU coolers were factory mounted, we would probably have direct die cooling as the default. But with an IHS comes a massive layer of product safety.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You would actually be moving backwards. Many years ago desktop processors use to not come with an IHS. One of the many reasons one was intraduced was because the bare silicon die is fragile. If you aren't careful in how you mount the cooler you could crack the die immediately killing the CPU with zero hope of recovery. The IHS made CPU's much more robust.

GPU's on the other hand aren't purpose built for the consumer to dismantle and tinker with. When you do so it's at your own risk like with delidding a CPU. It often breaks warranties to do so.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

No one does that by bare hand. That's the difference. Just like with laptops, the GPU is assembled by a machine in a factory.

Well damn. Now I just don't have footing to argue on. Still I think they should at least have an option to buy without an IHS for those comfortable enough.

I think that would be less efficient for modern air coolers especially, since they often use direct heatpipes at the bottom. With direct die, only 1-2 heatpipes would interact with the CPU, rendering the others unnecessary. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You would actually be moving backwards. Many years ago desktop processors use to not come with an IHS. One of the many reasons one was intraduced was because the bare silicon die is fragile. If you aren't careful in how you mount the cooler you could crack the die immediately killing the CPU with zero hope of recovery. The IHS made CPU's much more robust.

GPU's on the other hand aren't purpose built for the consumer to dismantle and tinker with. When you do so it's at your own risk like with delidding a CPU. It often breaks warranties to do so.

But people swap out stock GPU coolers for water blocks all the time. 

Most modern GPUs have an IHS plate...

less chance for user to screw up

my AMD chips of days gone never had em

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On modern processors like Ryzen and Threadripper and some Intel processors, the IHS is soldered using a special alloy to the silicon dies, so the heat transfer is actually very good.

The problem is the uneven surface of the metal to which the cooler is applied, not the contact between the dies and the IHS.  Luckily nothing stops you from getting some sandpaper to sand down the surface of the ihs to increase the flatness.

It's better to use an IHS because some processors are made from multiple silicon dies, and if you apply the cooler the wrong way, a die could crack or chip and make the cpu unusable.

In the past, we had processors without IHS, think socket A processors from AMD, which had shims (spacers) to prevent the heatsink from being screwed too tight and break the chip but even with those precautions, there were still quite a lot of damaged processors killed.

Also, modern coolers are MUCH heavier and they're tighten harder, so there's increased risk of damaging a cpu die by tightening too hard a cpu cooler.

example of cpus without ihs below  ...  a barton ... keep in mind that barton die was 80-84 mm2 ... in comparison the dies that form a Ryzen 5 die add up to ~200mmand on Ryzen 9, it adds up to ~275mm2  ... so quite bigger dies, increased risk of damage, more difficult to cool due to more power consumptio

What's a Barton? - AMD's Athlon XP 3000+: Barton cuts it close

Just now, Mister Woof said:

less chance for user to screw up

my AMD chips of days gone never had em

Socket A 462 desktop. 754 and up all had IHS plates.

I took them all off. Still do XD

1 minute ago, Nanook said:

Yes. And it usually (not always, but usually) voids your warranty with the manufacturer. They don't build the card so you can just dismantle it. If they had the intent for you to just immediately throw your own cooler on it they'd sell you the card without a cooler just as high-end processors don't come with coolers as they expect you to supply your own. The manufacturer isn't going to side with you if you crack the GPU die. The creation/inclusion of an IHS on CPUs for a intended use case of installing it yourself makes them more robust and less prone to breaking during installation.

11 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Socket A 462 desktop. 754 and up all had IHS plates.

I took them all off. Still do XD

amd 2400xp

soyo dragon motherboard, i think

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x