Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
On 1/1/2024 at 5:32 PM, Andreas Lilja said:

Romancing in video games is cringe. 

Double cringe for sex. 

I'll half-agree with you on this.

If done well, a romance can add depth to characters but the sex scenes aren't really needed. Often, the dialogue/development of the relationships seems forced/unnatural, so I'd say it just usually isn't done very well.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

4 hours ago, ZPJourney said:

Apple pie is the best in the world.

Have you tried Sachertorte?

Apple pie is good, but Sachertorte is better.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Cooling: 2x Delta GFB1212VHG w. PWM

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

7 hours ago, ZPJourney said:

Apple pie is the best in the world.

To add to this, any berry pies are a mess and not worth the effort

On 1/6/2024 at 8:30 AM, kasugatei said:

In CVs recruiters usually recommend to put metrics and percentage. Personally I think that it is stupid. I can list two real life scenarios why:

- create a software project. Deliberately make it sluggish. Then “fix” it before each performance review. Get nice bonuses for “improvements”. 

- deliberately design a mechanical part heavier than it can be. Shave weight bit by bit every year. Become a manager. 

Same rant goes for performance reviews. 

So imagine writing in your CV

- responsible for project X (that you started), redesigned Y (that you deliberately made a bottleneck) making response Z% faster (although it should be like that from the start)

So much of corporate culture is fucking stupid. But that isn't a controversial opinion.

43 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Bread should be kept in the fridge

I live in a hot climate, and putting bread in the fridge prevents mold growth.

My unpopular opinion: the existence of the Series S and the gating of games to be optimized for the Series S before being in the Series X library is a blessing. Without it, there would not be any representation of older-generation gaming devices, and the optimization issues would have been much worse without its existence (like Starfield, Hogwarts Legacy, and Forza Motorsport). It also buys time for the Xbox One and One X. It's not much, but it's something.

The majority of entry-level gamers don't necessarily require the absolute latest and greatest tech to enjoy PC gaming. I've crafted numerous gaming PCs for young enthusiasts using hardware from the Intel Skylake and Ryzen 1000/2000 series onwards. It makes more sense to ease them into the gaming world with the fundamentals, instead of urging them and their parents to invest heavily upfront, potentially leading to mishaps that could cost both time and money.

🔧 Project: DIVINITY 🔧

[Parts List Updated]

⚙️ Currently on a mission: Full-time 12-hour shifts ⚙️

🕒 Patience is a virtue! Your response is in the works. 🕒

3 minutes ago, ReidOnly said:

The majority of entry-level gamers don't necessarily require the absolute latest and greatest tech to enjoy PC gaming. I've crafted numerous gaming PCs for young enthusiasts using hardware from the Intel Skylake and Ryzen 1000/2000 series onwards. It makes more sense to ease them into the gaming world with the fundamentals, instead of urging them and their parents to invest heavily upfront, potentially leading to mishaps that could cost both time and money.

Agree, my first computer was a laptop with a quad-core 11th gen i7 and a low end GPU, and about a year later I upgraded to a gaming laptop with a lot more power, because I was constantly maxing my previous one out, so I actually needed the better specs.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

6 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

Agree, my first computer was a laptop with a quad-core 11th gen i7 and a low end GPU, and about a year later I upgraded to a gaming laptop with a lot more power, because I was constantly maxing my previous one out, so I actually needed the better specs.

It's quite a novelty for me, especially since I haven't come across any laptops featuring the Intel 14th gen yet! It seems like it took them quite a bit of time to roll out the 12th and 13th gen. Fondly reminiscing about my first-ever PC, which was a makeshift assembly featuring a 1st gen i5 sourced from a scrapyard, coupled with a used GTX 480 I snagged from the market. Those were the days - diving into the immersive world of Far Cry 3 and indulging in a plethora of retro games I had lying around. Honestly, I miss those nostalgic moments.

🔧 Project: DIVINITY 🔧

[Parts List Updated]

⚙️ Currently on a mission: Full-time 12-hour shifts ⚙️

🕒 Patience is a virtue! Your response is in the works. 🕒

Retro gaming is a weird hobby; especially spending hundreds on a single (often short) game when accurate emulation is a thing. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

4 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Retro gaming is a weird hobby; especially spending hundreds on a single (often short) game when accurate emulation is a thing. 

back in the day (20yrs~ ago ... I am old =\ ) I messed around with emulators and MAME especially.... but every time I used any of this stuff... I spend more time trying to get it working (correctly) than actually playing...

eventually I realized "meh" I don't care for the most part.... I do occasionally play some F-Zero however.  (emulated)

I will play I guess?   

First who agrees that the absolute worst website on the internet is reddit.... about twice a year I forget how much I hate it, and use it for a couple days and remember what an absolute cr*pfest it is.

Second... PC's are pretty boring now honestly, you can do kind of mind blowing stuff vs. when I got my first pc k6-400 64MB at first and later a whopping 128 and a 4GB HD (yes 4 GB) ... but, and maybe it is because i am 30~ yrs older now and I had more time to mess about and nerd out.. but PC stuff was so exciting to me in the mid 90s (had a C64 before that and then an Amiga) ... That I could spend hours reading and learning about everything I could .. hardware and networking .... but the thrill is really going for me...    Especially with the pricing of video cards (and to some extent motherboards) I am really struggling to decide if pc gaming is worth it to me at this point in my life ....   I currently have a i7-12700K / 3070FE and 32GB DDR5 and a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro......  I am not sure I will build another rig like this again...  Even at MSRP which I got the 3070FE for I felt pretty annoyed about spending this much.. The gouging was still "real" at the time and anything better would have be touching $1000~

• 2 weeks later...

Job Postings.

So I belong to a few groups on Facebook. We have one that's more for the residence of my city and things about on goings and such are posted there. Also occasionally a job might be posted. I also belong to a county job posting group. The primary reason most of us work is to pay our bills and to survive. So why dont these people post important information. Such as Pay, benefits, and hours. If I needed to find a job if that information is not provided, I will NOT apply. All you need to include in the posting is the name of the business, address/contact info, compensation and hours. I feel if that information was provided they might have better luck finding someone, and that potential candidate can set their expectations accordingly.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

So why dont these people post important information. Such as Pay, benefits, and hours.

"We want to hire somebody who wants to work for us" 

Though really it's probably because there's people currently working in the company in the same position being paid less and the company doesn't want them to see the advertised salary for the position and demand a pay rise. 

What's just as annoying is when they do list the salary but there's a huge range like "Salary: 60k-140k".

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

"We want to hire somebody who wants to work for us" 

Though really it's probably because there's people currently working in the company in the same position being paid less and the company doesn't want them to see the advertised salary for the position and demand a pay rise. 

What's just as annoying is when they do list the salary but there's a huge range like "Salary: 60k-140k".

The way you solve this, if your going to pay new hires more, then pay the current ones more, its not hard.

When my employer raised the starting rates for temps to $16/hr due to Amazon raising its wages (my employer does temp to hire btw). All of us current employees saw a raise as well. Just recently they gave us a major raise this year. Companies need to pull their heads out of their asses. The younger generations aint going to deal with the bullshit any longer.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s my opinion kinda based off the work ones above:

It should be perfectly ok to respond in this way to the question “why do you want to work for us” in this way:

”I want to work here because I saw listing and this looked like a good place to work with decent/good pay.”

If you’re excited about working somewhere great, but don’t penalize the above answer. Side note if someone is that honest that they would say that during an interview, I argue that’s positive points that they have integrity.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:40 PM, Donut417 said:

The way you solve this, if your going to pay new hires more, then pay the current ones more, its not hard.

When my employer raised the starting rates for temps to $16/hr due to Amazon raising its wages (my employer does temp to hire btw). All of us current employees saw a raise as well. Just recently they gave us a major raise this year. Companies need to pull their heads out of their asses. The younger generations aint going to deal with the bullshit any longer.

i see this happens most frequently in places that practice contract employment rather than at will. if you make it difficult and riskier for employers to hire new candidates by placing barriers to firing bad hires then they will pay a bigger premium for new workers that interview well. At the same time, if workers can not quit their jobs for a higher salary at a moment's notice then it drives down the efficiency of a competitive job market and the wage of existing workers. why would employers hand you a raise when they know you can't leave and cant accept a competing higher compensation package elsewhere?

This might sound very capitalist and anti workers but i think American salaries, like in tech, finance, medical care, ect are just so much higher than their Canadian and European counterparts precisely because of at-will employment that Americans practice. 

I mean look at this, this is in CAD btw, converted to USD... yeah, quite low compare to the high cost of living in Toronto

Compared to this in USD, the difference is massive, especially for skilled white collar jobs, even in a high cost of living city like NYC. This is on top of much lower taxes compared to most welfare European countries. well, maybe not for NYC but certainly is the case of places like Seattle. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

ak-5c & ak5u better than the ak-47.

and the 47 is just popular because of videogames

low profile builds are Underrated (all this rgb is annoying in my personal opinion)

nintendo wiiU is underrated 

5 minutes ago, noxtol said:

low profile builds are Underrated (all this rgb is annoying in my personal opinion)

I do prefer the "full size tower" formfactor, it's just easier to work in.

I definitely agree with your opinion on RGB, it just makes things unecessarily expensive and complicated (it looks good if done right, but a lot of times it just looks "overdone" in my opinion).

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

• 1 month later...

I really don't give a rat's ass about the solar eclipse.

Black hole covering the sun? Saw the picture on Wikipedia, good enough for me. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I like the fact that all the old companies are dying (blizzard,Disney,) and new filmmakers/developers are finally getting a chance 

On 4/8/2024 at 2:53 PM, mrtwonavels said:

I like the fact that all the old companies are dying (blizzard,Disney,) and new filmmakers/developers are finally getting a chance 

I don't like your opinion, and I like it even less that I found myself in agreement with you.

Nostalgia is a b*, absolutely broke my heard seeing those big name that I grew up with being on the news for all the wrong reasons, some of those are unimaginable wrong reasons for my inner child. But instead we are seeing more and more indie games/movies destroying the market performance with a fraction of the budget of the big guys, all because they actually gives a s* about their work, it keeps me from losing hope for humanity. It made me feel like every now and then we are actually capable of rewarding works of love.

And if I found myself started feeling too good about the world and humanity as a whole, I just need to google Diablo: Immoral, and the latest comment from an EA CEO, it will all balances out in no time.

1 hour ago, bluessorrow said:

I don't like your opinion, and I like it even less that I found myself in agreement with you.

Nostalgia is a b*, absolutely broke my heard seeing those big name that I grew up with being on the news for all the wrong reasons, some of those are unimaginable wrong reasons for my inner child. But instead we are seeing more and more indie games/movies destroying the market performance with a fraction of the budget of the big guys, all because they actually gives a s* about their work, it keeps me from losing hope for humanity. It made me feel like every now and then we are actually capable of rewarding works of love.

And if I found myself started feeling too good about the world and humanity as a whole, I just need to google Diablo: Immoral, and the latest comment from an EA CEO, it will all balances out in no time.

That does make sense that you would mourn the loss of companies you grew up with and have such nostalgia for but I’m probably a lil younger than you so I just think of it differently I guess. But you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect it

3 minutes ago, mrtwonavels said:

That does make sense that you would mourn the loss of companies you grew up with and have such nostalgia for but I’m probably a lil younger than you so I just think of it differently I guess. But you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect it

Cheers mate, but regardless how I felt I am in complete agreement with you. Sometime reality is a tough pill to swallow but I am too old to spit out pills that I don't like.

I think at this time, it is a bless if you don't have the nostalgia of those old games, as the quality are getting WAY better comparing to even a few years ago. And if you want great games from big developing team, could I introduce you to BG3 (lol!). We are for sure at a industry boom right now, even the gaming handheld (thanks, Valve) is booming, and this could be your nostalgia moment when this trend dies out, because we can't have nice things and it would die out. Hope you are enjoying the ride as much as I do!