Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
On 8/9/2022 at 3:12 PM, Donut417 said:

That’s only if the authorities give a shit and if they have time. We have had some people report things to the local police and the police never show up. Some of these things were of a safety concern, things law enforcement might want to be involved in. 

Police depts in my are are severely under-staffed by up to 25%. Can't blame them for not responding to petty calls. 

Just now, wseaton said:

Police depts in my are are severely under-staffed by up to 25%. Can't blame them for not responding to petty calls. 

Here Here. 

17 minutes ago, wseaton said:

Petty calls eh. Had a resident who approached a man who was next door to them banging on a churches door. The resident asked the guy if they needed help. He got irate and went for his waist band, like he had a weapon. All the dickhead had to do is said I didnt need help. Thats a situation where law enforcement might want to intervene. I mean I guess Michigan is a stand your ground state and we could just let that law handle the problem. I recall years ago one of my sisters neighbors had their house shot at and yep no police. If the city has issues with the department they can always do what Detroit did, and ask the state for help in the form of having State Troopers filling in the gaps. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

When it comes to donuts 🍩: Dunkin Donuts > Tim Hortons

Sorry Canada

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Sorry Canada

I’ve eaten at both while not being a Canadian.  There was actually a Tim Horton’s near my friend’s house in minneapolis and I wound up eating there.  I had timbits which were perhaps fluffier than the donut holes at Dunkin’ Donuts, but I think by singe digit percentages.  I would call them at least quite close.  Dunkin’ donuts has a bigger menu so points for that.  Tim Horton’s gets points though for not being bought at one point with mob money.  I don’t know if they are still owned that way.  My understanding is when one of the really big crime families on the east coast was taken down the relatives of the capo bought Dunkin’ Donuts, which resulted in the entire American police force refusing to enter the place.  This was some years ago and it was likely long since sold at least once.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Sorry Canada

I am of the firm belief that the best donuts are almost always the hole-in-the-wall mom & pop local spots.  Like "The Hole" in Roy Utah. 

9 minutes ago, IPD said:

I am of the firm belief that the best donuts are almost always the hole-in-the-wall mom & pop local spots.  Like "The Hole" in Roy Utah. 

It is my considered opinion that Dunkin’ is not even close to the best donuts  in town.  Best I’ve found so far is a Southeast Asia bakery.  Wouldn’t expect it, but it’s effectively a French bakery.  France was all over Southeast Asia once upon a time.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I can’t help but think that “tiny home” is just a scrubbed up term for trailer. I get that “all trailers are tiny homes but not all tiny homes are trailers” but the vast majority of the time they are.

18 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I can’t help but think that “tiny home” is just a scrubbed up term for trailer. I get that “all trailers are tiny homes but not all tiny homes are trailers” but the vast majority of the time they are.

Can be.  But there are tiny homes that aren't trailers or trailer based.  Like what Deion Sanders lived in.

https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/nfl-star-deion-sanders-tiny-house-must-be-seen-to-be-believed/

• 3 weeks later...

All enterprise grade OS and generally all server/cloud software/services should be in English if you consider yourself an IT professional. Localization of server OS etc. just makes it difficult to troubleshoot and reduces the knowledge base significantly. Also if you want to attract international talent, your organization should use English OS.

Just be clear I am not talking about OS which sales/HR/finance etc. teams will have on their PCs, I am talking about server stuff.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:26 AM, Niksa said:

All enterprise grade OS and generally all server/cloud software/services should be in English if you consider yourself an IT professional. Localization of server OS etc. just makes it difficult to troubleshoot and reduces the knowledge base significantly. Also if you want to attract international talent, your organization should use English OS.

Just be clear I am not talking about OS which sales/HR/finance etc. teams will have on their PCs, I am talking about server stuff.

Yes, absolutely. But on a related tangent, if you provide localization they should be more than mere machine translations. Microsoft has dropped this ball hard with Xbox. Console is for recreation, and having it set on my own language used to make it a premium experience, but lately the quality has just been all over the place. In all fairness they seem to have fixed the issues I had on my mind, but that took months. I know we're a marginal market and yadda yadda, but maybe that's because so few stores even stock Xboxes, and when you get one it speaks broken language... Doesn't help that there's zero marketing, but that's not my problem. I just want my 500€+ console to make sense without having to relate the nonsense back to English to decipher it.

I bet you get more consistent translation picking any random Linux and localizing it. SMH

Desktop_2022_09_10_03_08_51_675.thumb.png.878e6372f3cfa64f49e719dd8d95f8a5.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 hours ago, tatte said:

I bet you get more consistent translation picking any random Linux and localizing it. SMH

At least if you do that, if there's a bad translation, there's generally some way to submit a better alternative...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

7 hours ago, Vishera said:

Desktop_2022_09_10_03_08_51_675.thumb.png.878e6372f3cfa64f49e719dd8d95f8a5.png

Odd opinion.

I mean, if you are 100% against maple syrup, distilled beverages and other things that require removal of water--then I suppose it makes sense.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Odd opinion.

I mean, if you are 100% against maple syrup, distilled beverages and other things that require removal of water--then I suppose it makes sense.

Maybe they just don’t appreciate people giving out raisins on Halloween.  I was annoyed by it when I was a kid.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Odd opinion.

It's not that, I just don't like the taste and texture of dried grapes.

It's texture and looks reminds me of cockroaches:

16656.png.f1e9446ea8d3b79503f3351e1ebe04fd.png

Texture of raisins

One of the images has dried grapes in it and in the other dead cockroaches.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

One of the images has dried grapes in it and in the other cockroaches.

Both dried grapes, silly person. I like dried fruit! Dates, apple slices, apricots, dried grapes, dried plums, dried currants, etc. Over dried grapes and currants are not very good, but when they're done just right the insides are gummy and jammy and the skin has that little pop to it...very good!

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Both dried grapes

Google search fooled me...

image.thumb.png.272d4192faba895a9c5199ff741c87f6.png

Nonetheless it reminds me of cockroaches.

39 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Texture of raisins

I don't think your entomology-specific diet is what you think it is.

49 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Texture of raisins

Wow.  They DO look like a specific species of cockroach without the legs.  Usually see that species in colder climates.  They’re quite small compared to some.  They don’t look anything like a palmetto bug.  This whole “dried grapes” thing is a bit odd.  The term “raisin” is more common. You could try currants instead.  They’re at least smaller.  The concept of the texture of a cockroach is quite disturbing though.  They’re not commonly eaten by humans.  Eating one could produce a certain amount of PTSD.

is this a back door way of saying “I ate a bug once, and it was awful”?

Edited by Bombastinator

I mean, what's next.  People who won't eat rice because of the passing resemblance to larval maggots?

35 minutes ago, IPD said:

I mean, what's next.  People who won't eat rice because of the passing resemblance to larval maggots?

It's just dried grapes and nothing else that is like that for me.

Anyway that's my unpopular opinion,

I pretty much expected that most people would not think the same as me in the matter.

There's like hundreds of edible grape varieties, and thousands used for wine making.

5 minutes ago, IPD said:

There's like hundreds of edible grape varieties, and thousands used for wine making.

The golden raisins are my favorite.

Anyone had plantain chips?