Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Electric cars are just simpler.  They don’t need radiators and they don’t need tailpipes. The result is a simplicity that can be found to be annoying to some.  I suspect an new design aesthetic will be needed.  My car has a sort of fake radiator because the designers had trouble doing without one.  One strange result of the electric change is electric cars tend to be extremely fast.  Apparently a Prius has performance characteristics similar to a lower end sports car.  I’ve noticed I’ve developed serious speeding problems in a leaf and my old car was a GTI with 200 horsepower.

Not always.
Perhaps in terms of moving parts they are and overall "Bulk" the components takes up less space but in the end they have their own set of problems too like anything else.

I've worked on electric vehicles in an industrial setting for years and they are predictable at least, meaning it's usually the same problem based on symptoms observed so with experience you'd learn how to zero in on it quickly but at the same time I'm well aware of the expense they come with too.

One is you have to be a literal tech to do much with them yourself if you encounter a problem, the tools to do the work are expensive (Diagnostic tools) if you can get them at all and all it takes is for that little something to go bad and it's where it's at. The most common problems seen are from control modules, sensors and so on, the motors themselves tend to hold up well over time. You can get the same codes from different sources of trouble too, I've ran into that before and it's no fun chasing your tail around trying to "Find It" - I've played that game too many times before.

And it's waaay expensive on the labor and parts side of it.
I've written the repair tickets for customers too many times to know otherwise.

I can also promise you alot of the tech they have is based on what I had been working on because it's not like they just pulled this tech out their ass one day and decided to start building electric vehicles, it's based on what's already proven to work and be reliable enough for this use.

I will admit this kind of tech is well past what I had been working on when I was doing that BUT the basics still apply as always.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

4 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Not always.
Perhaps in terms of moving parts they are and overall "Bulk" the components takes up less space but in the end they have their own set of problems to like anything else.

I've worked on electric vehicles in an industrial setting for years and they are predictable at least, meaning it's usually the same problem based on symptoms observed so with experience you'd learn how to zero in on it quickly but at the same time I'm well aware of the expense they come with too.

One is you have to be a literal tech to do much with them yourself if you encounter a problem, the tools to do the work are expensive (Diagnostic tools) if you can get them at all and all it takes is for that little something to go bad and it's where it's at. The most common problems seen are from control modules, sensors and so on, the motors themselves tend to hold up well over time. You can get the same codes from different sourses of trouble too, I've ran into that before and it's no fun chasing your tail around trying to "Find It"  I've played that game too many times before.

And it's waaay expensive on the labor and parts side of it.
I've written the repair tickets for customers too many times to know otherwise.

I can also promise you alot of the tech they have is based on what I had been working on because it's not like they just pulled this tech out their ass one day and decided to start building electric vehicles, it's based on what's already proven to work and be reliable enough for this use.

I will admit this kind of tech is well past what I had been working on when I was doing that BUT the basics still apply as always.

I mean simpler visually.  No tail pipe, no radiator, no engine block volume to deal with.  There’s also the 1000x fewer moving parts thing, but that’s a different thing I was not addressing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I mean simpler visually.  No tail pipe, no radiator.  There’s also the 1000x fewer moving parts but that’s a different thing I was not addressing.

Gotcha.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

11 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Gotcha.

There’s a lot of vast design cue changes I expect to see.  Without the need for a hood cars are likely to get a lot more “bubble”y as the only non mailable things left are the wheels and passengers. Wheels could be somewhat more malleable too.  Gyroscopic stabilization I think could for example see two wheeled off road vehicles that look more like a Segway than a sedan.  Wheel braking could be recovery only with emergency braking being truly emergency with some sort of frame drop or something.  There are just a lot more design options with electric.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s a lot of vast design cue changes I expect to see.  Without the need for a hood cars are likely to get a lot more “bubble”y as the only non mailable things left are the wheels and passengers. Wheels could be somewhat more malleable too.  Gyroscopic stabilization I think could for example see two wheeled off road vehicles that look more like a Segway than a sedan.  Wheel braking could be recovery only with emergency braking being truly emergency with some sort of frame drop or something.  There are just a lot more design options with electric.

Personally I don't see hoods just going away, there has to be some kind of access to the systems they have for any work to be done.
You can design them in different ways of course but in the end, the hood itself is just the lid on the engine's enclosure.

They will probrably make that into a second trunk. 
If anything I'd think like it is with a Bug, you'd have another means of access to the motor components elsewhere and I woudn't be suprised to see these also like a Bug - In the back.
I'd think you'll probrably have some components like a controller, brake master cylinder and such there, I know about regen braking but I can't see them totally abandoning a typical braking system of some kind for safety purposes.

Even the electrics I worked on had them and although with some electric vehicles you normally didn't use them (Such as Plugging with a Walkie), with those that ran at higher speeds and moved more weight you had them, those were used as the brakes because you simply coudn't use "Plugging" as the means to stop them, either by the motor heating up too much or the braking action just being too harsh.

Plugging BTW is when you reverse the directional controller/throttle and make the motor itself do the braking all on it's own.

In most cases Regen braking fine and serves to slow it down but Regen braking itself is not a true means of stopping a vehicle IF you have a real need to "STOP".
Either you use plugging or a brake system to actually bring it to a halt.
That's why you need an actual braking system, at least as a backup.

10 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Personally I don't see hoods just going away, there has to be some kind of access to the systems they have for any work to be done.
You can design them in different ways of course but in the end, the hood itself is just the lid on the engine's enclosure.

If anything I'd think like it is with a Bug, you'd have another means of access to the motor components elsewhere and I woudn't be suprised to see these also like a Bug - In the back. You'd still have some components like a controller, brake master cylinder and such there, I know about regen braking but I can't see them totally abandoning a typical braking system of some kind for safety purposes.

Even the electrics I worked on had them and although with some electric vehicles you normally didn't use them (Such as Plugging with a Walkie), with those that ran at higher speeds and moved more weight you had them, those were used as the brakes because you simply coudn't use "Plugging" as the means to stop them, either by the motor heating up too much or the braking action just being too harsh.

Plugging BTW is when you reverse the directional controller/throttle and make the motor itself do the braking all on it's own.

In most cases Regen braking fine and serves to slow it down but Regen braking itself is not a true means of stopping a vehicle IF you have a real need to "STOP".

Yeah but with wheel hub motors there isn’t even a motor in there.  if the only thing under the hood is a bottle of wiper fluid the “hood” could be smaller than a toilet seat at which point it doesn’t need to go where a hood goes anymore.  Hoods were about housing engine blocks.  Some cars store a single electric motor and drive shafts under the hood but it’s not a requirement.  Tesla is already using half its hood space as a “frunk”.   It’s only “car” shaped because that is the design aesthetic atm.  I could see future off roaders  looking more like a clocky than a cheyanne

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah but with wheel hub motors there isn’t even a motor in there.  if the only thing under the hood is a bottle of wiper fluid the “hood” could be smaller than a toilet seat at which point it doesn’t need to go where a hood goes anymore.  Hoods were about housing engine blocks.  Some cars store a single electric motor and drive shafts under the hood but it’s not a requirement

Don't give 'em any ideas.

I can see it now - Cop pulls up and finds the driver with the hood up, sitting inside taking a dump.....

8 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Don't give 'em any ideas.

I can see it now - Cop pulls up and finds the driver with the hood up, sitting inside taking a dump.....

Thankyou for that.  I can now see it as well.

9 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

If anything I'd think like it is with a Bug, you'd have another means of access to the motor components elsewhere and I woudn't be suprised to see these also like a Bug - In the back.
I'd think you'll probrably have some components like a controller, brake master cylinder and such there, I know about regen braking but I can't see them totally abandoning a typical braking system of some kind for safety purposes.

Sure.  Some sort of emergency brake would continue to be needed.  What about dropping the frame onto the roadway?  That’ll stop a body in a hurry.  More surface area than a mere tire tread.  Cover it with tread if necessary. The more “only for emergencies” the thing is the more extreme things can be done.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Sure.  Some sort of emergency brake would continue to be needed.  What about dropping the frame onto the roadway?  That’ll stop a body in a hurry.  More surface area than a mere tire tread.  Cover it with tread if necessary. The more “only for emergencies” the thing is the more extreme things can be done.

Not a good idea since the frame is part of the structural integrity of the vehicle and you can't assume you'll be able to stop in time to avoid a collision. If it loses the intergity, any protecton it may afford will be lost and guess what happens?

There is also the problem of the vehicle being stuck there whether it hit something or not because the vehicle will probrably be there (You certainly won't just drive it away) until the frame is back in place, if it's still useable at all - And there are some circumstances you woudn't want that to happen, snag it on a manhole cover, a chunk of asphalt, concrete.... And you'll stop alright.....
Maybe TOO quickly and no guarantees the car woudn't disentigrate with all kinds of metallic debris in the process, some that can come up into the vehicle where you are.
That's not a good thing, like it is when in some collisions you'd have the engine sitting in the seat beside you after it's over - And that's if you're lucky.
Had an aunt that happened to years ago and yes, the engine was literally in the passenger side seat after the wreck, namely a big block Ford 390. She was driving at night and found a sinkhole that had suddenly appeared in the roadway.
She survived but always had problems from it afterwards.

youtube needs a replacement that creators will upload to.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

On 9/16/2020 at 1:56 AM, Trik'Stari said:

It's not always possible in the US to overtake cyclists safely, and because I know the law will side with them 100% of the time, I do not do so unless it is very, very clearly safe. I'll honk at them, but I will not overtake them.

What is "very, very clearly safe"?

To give an example of what answer I want, this is the law where I live:

When overtaking a bicyclist, you have to leave the same amount of room between you and him, as his height on the bicyclist on the bicycle. This way, if he falls towards you, you wont run him over. IF you dont have visibility to safely give him that distance between you two (aka go into the other lane most of the times), you wait behind the bicyclist until you can past him.

From the other end, the bicyclist must always be as far right on the lane as he can. That way he leaves the most space for a car to pass him.

Now, about the law siding with the bicyclist - it's really simple.

You have a driving license to be able to drive a car. You should know the laws of the road to have gotten that license.

Cyclist dont have license.  It could be person with driving license, it could be someone who cant even read. This means you have to protect them being the more "professional" of the 2 sides.

And before saying that the above is BS. My dad was a truck driver for a while and he had a chat with a german policeman once. What the guy told him, is that if there is a crash between a truck and a car, for him 90% of the time the truck driver is at fault automatically, because the truck driver is a professional driver, while the car driver is a not. It's expected from the more professional driver to watch out and guard the more amateur one.

4 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Not a good idea since the frame is part of the structural integrity of the vehicle and you can't assume you'll be able to stop in time to avoid a collision. If it loses the intergity, any protecton it may afford will be lost and guess what happens?

There is also the problem of the vehicle being stuck there whether it hit something or not because the vehicle will probrably be there (You certainly won't just drive it away) until the frame is back in place, if it's still useable at all - And there are some circumstances you woudn't want that to happen, snag it on a manhole cover, a chunk of asphalt, concrete.... And you'll stop alright.....
Maybe TOO quickly and no guarantees the car woudn't disentigrate with all kinds of metallic debris in the process, some that can come up into the vehicle where you are.
That's not a good thing, like it is when in some collisions you'd have the engine sitting in the seat beside you after it's over - And that's if you're lucky.
Had an aunt that happened to years ago and yes, the engine was literally in the passenger side seat after the wreck, namely a big block Ford 390. She was driving at night and found a sinkhole that had suddenly appeared in the roadway.
She survived but always had problems from it afterwards.

Those are assuming a traditional system with a traditional frame.  Electric cars don’t really have engines. If one does something the vehicle isn’t designed to do of course there will be problems.  

On 7/6/2021 at 1:16 PM, Arika S said:

Earbuds/IEMs > Headphones

I haven't used headphones at all in the last year and a half

cheap wired earbuds > expesive TWS, seriously, my $40 backup pair of earbuds sounds better than any TWS i've tried (and i've tried a lot).

Earbuds get gross and gunked up. But if you want to listen to music on the go they have many positives. When i'm at home i prefer my headphones by a long shot.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Earbuds get gross and gunked up

only if you don't clean them and your ears. i get no build up on my Tin T2s or my Beyerdynamics Beat Byrds

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 8/1/2021 at 10:36 PM, 8tg said:

I think pajamas are stupid. There’s a small debate going on in my family right now because a less wealthy part of my family had kids some years ago and they’re not doing pajamas. My great grandmother is all up in arms like “why can’t you even pay for pajamas” and shit like that.

I get it, in the US anyway it’s the norm to have some kind of pajamas.

But not every family or household is the same. When I was younger after a certain time of night like post dinner when everyone would settle to their own parts of the house or room, what you wear was up to you.

I personally was a fan of the T-shirt at most because I liked a front pocket for my little MP3 player, one of my siblings preferred proper pajamas, one didn’t wear anything. 
And I see that most families don’t do that, I was informed of that at a young age when I started staying over at friends houses like “don’t whip it out, that’s for at home, at least wear underwear”. 

But I think what a household decides is normal in their own home is up to them.

For my family ages ago it was a mix of “we’re poor as hell, I’m not buying you pajamas” and also a general view on individual freedoms and lack of restriction from a young age.

Sort of to put that into context, my parents never restricted me from listening to whatever music I liked, I read whatever books I wanted, they let me watch the regular news to know what’s going on, I had a set boundary and curfew time when I was outside but it was pretty big, and whatever i wanted in my own “domain” of sorts in my room was my business as far as what I wore went.

I get that’s weird for a lot of people, for most in the western world your family probably shouldn’t see your junk, but that was regular in my household, the mentality of “you’re at home, nobody is doing anything, you don’t need to be presentable”.

So my aunt and uncle are doing the same thing with their new family, their kids wear just sleep shirts or whatever they decide, because it was easier and introducing dedicated pajamas to wash every day and such wasn’t reasonable for them. They’re following a lot of the other principles too on individual freedom, the oldest is 12 and frequently bikes around the parks in their neighborhood on his own. “Why would you let your kid just wander away like that” and such has been a debate as well as a result.

tldr I dislike the concept of pajamas, the aversion to nudity at home in private and my dumb ass family not understanding the reasons people prefer a more freedom oriented parenting style 

Imo the argument about pajamas, etc is just dumb. For the best sleep possible you should be as comfortable as possible. In my case underwear it's underwear or depending on how hot it is nothing. My grandparents and mother also wear pajamas every time they go to bed. I'd just overheat and probably die 😄

On 8/3/2021 at 3:11 PM, BetteBalterZen said:

omg, that triggers me haha 

Just tells you how different people are. But a lot of the difference becomes clear when you use a higher refresh rate display for longer time. Motion clarity also tops out at around 90 fps for me, but even a 144Hz monitor just feels sluggish after now using a 200Hz monitor for a month or two. And 60Hz is a stuttery mess to me now, even though i was fine with it a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

only if you don't clean them and your ears. i get no build up on my Tin T2s or my Beyerdynamics Beat Byrds

I also have the Beyer Soul Byrd buds and i have to clean them every few days. And i do clean my ears regularly. That's a lot compared to mostly maintenance free headphones.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Those are assuming a traditional system with a traditional frame.  Electric cars don’t really have engines. If one does something the vehicle isn’t designed to do of course there will be problems.  

I know about the individual drive motors per wheel, I've been around and worked on those before.

Regardless a vehicle's frame has to be made to help protect the occupants in a collision, by having it "Drop" you remove this protection from where it's really needed. The structure of the vehicle helps too but it's all based on how the frame itself is layed out so if it drops the rest will fold with ease and you don't want that.
A "Rollcage" structure is better because it doesn't require the frame as much as traditional vehicle structure does but depending on how it's made that too can be affected.
The absolute best structure is that which is totally independent of the frame for it's strength and just bolts/welded to the frame to hold it in place.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

I know about the individual drive motors per wheel, I've been around and worked on those before.

Regardless a vehicle's frame has to be made to help protect the occupants in a collision, by having it "Drop" you remove this protection from where it's really needed. The structure of the vehicle helps too but it's all based on how the frame itself is layed out so if it drops the rest will fold with ease and you don't want that.
A "Rollcage" structure is better because it doesn't require the frame as much as traditional vehicle structure does but depending on how it's made that too can be affected.
The absolute best structure is that which is totally independent of the frame for it's strength and just bolts/welded to the frame to hold it in place.

Still assuming design for purpose. The question becomes which is cheaper? Redesigning a space frame to do both or adding a seperate system in?  Wouldn’t be possible with any current designs.  They’re stuck with 4 wheels and hydraulic brake shoes.  There are other ways to brake a car though, and if they are cheaper they will likely be used. Emergency mechanical brakes already do away with the hydraulic system.  All they can do is lock a wheel though. 

Edited by Bombastinator

14 hours ago, Niksa said:

Gender reveal parties are dumb. The whole concept behind is dumb. 
And that goes even before mentioning “gender reveal parties gone wrong by inflicting massive damage to the surroundings” dumb. 

Sounds like a "Real" party to me..... Enjoy and haul ass when you see blue lights on the lawn...

On 8/13/2021 at 1:34 PM, Bombastinator said:

Still assuming design for purpose. The question becomes which is cheaper? Redesigning a space frame to do both or adding a seperate system in?  Wouldn’t be possible with any current designs.  They’re stuck with 4 wheels and hydraulic brake shoes.  There are other ways to brake a car though, and if they are cheaper they will likely be used. Emergency mechanical brakes already do away with the hydraulic system.  All they can do is lock a wheel though. 

I seriously doubt dropping the frame will ever be adopted for that purpose in any way for the reasons I gave. It's possible they can make a frame-like structure that does it but not part of the vehicle frame itself.

However if you want a drop-frame vehicle, that's great but I'll have to pass.

linus review sucks

he shows a bunch of stuff around, notes the same things, take like +10 minutes to place more ads as possible, shitty catchy title

this is the new laptop from random company it has a bunch of i/o ports, that you can read on the website but I will tell you anyway, plays some random games, show fps, and runs cinebench with some commentaries in it

sure that's an excellent review, good quality content, right.

4 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

linus review sucks

he shows a bunch of stuff around, notes the same things, take like +10 minutes to place more ads as possible, shitty catchy title

this is the new laptop from random company it has a bunch of i/o ports, that you can read on the website but I will tell you anyway, plays some random games, show fps, and runs cinebench with some commentaries in it

sure that's an excellent review, good quality content, right.

So how fast is it really (barring bait and switch which is always a potential problem with reviews) and does what is possible to check ruggedness, keyboard quality and monitors.  At worst what you get pretty much everywhere else.  Integrity with those is kind of a big deal.  If it is crap he will say so, and has.

I don't get superhero movies, especially the fact that we get so many per year.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

I don't get superhero movies, especially the fact that we get so many per year.

why is your 7700k @ stock?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#