I'd like to see Linus Review OS X......

As far as I'm concerned OS preference comes down to the software as the OS is just a platform for you to do things with. If there is a particular niche that a user needs and that is only met with one OS or the other that should be the driving factor behind choosing to use it. If a review is done what is it going to be compared to? A comparison to Windows doesn't make any sense, because like I said, it is the software that should drive an OS decision.

The only way you could accurately review one OS to a completely different OS (so OS X vs Win 7 for example) is if you take a pool of 20 or 30 commonly used programs and/or games and compare their performance on the same hardware but by varying the OS and looking at the performance. Everything else is purely opinionated as far as I'm concerned, I've had friends rave about how easy it is do stuff on mac's and I explain to them that a lot of the stuff they like can be done in windows, it just takes maybe 3 or 4 clicks instead of 1 or 2. I've found in general Apple products tend to be for the user that doesn't care about how or why stuff works, they just want stuff to work without having to do or think about anything.

Bullshit, spotlight makes it faster to search for something than if you have it as the only item on your desktop, and a billion times faster than the god awful search i have on windows, and don't think i'm biased in saying that because i enjoy both operating systems and think they both have advantages but what you're saying here is just complete bullshit

I disagree with spotlight being faster, its on par with windows 8 search for me 0 delay between me typing and me finding.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I disagree with spotlight being faster, its on par with windows 8 search for me 0 delay between me typing and me finding.

With an SSD there obviously won't be a problem but spotlight didn't even have an delay when i was on my hdd

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

With an SSD there obviously won't be a problem but spotlight didn't even have an delay when i was on my hdd

Neither does windows 8 , That's what amazed me, I never used search on 7 or vista because of how slow it was. But 8 is instant I've tried it on photo's movies documents programs.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Neither does windows 8 , That's what amazed me, I never used search on 7 or vista because of how slow it was. But 8 is instant I've tried it on photo's movies documents programs.

Well i'm getting about a 1-2 second delay in 8.1

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Well i'm getting about a 1-2 second delay in 8.1

Strange I'm going through about 6 tb of files, my t100 has about a second delay on it but that's an atom processor checking a flash card so to expect that to be quick is expecting way to much. Let's not forget makes actually use high end parts.

I still think spotlight is fast and when I was using it I felt my windows 7 pc was so slow for searching but 8 hasn't let me down yet.

I won't install 8.1 on my main rig because of the changes with the mouse input

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Again, more subjective arguments with no supporting facts. Faster? Show us how it's faster. Reliable? How so? (And not just my mom's computer sucks). Stable? Again, how so? Secure? Secure in what way? Protection against malware? Account security?

There is no problem expressing your opinion. However, supporting your arguments with fact makes you more credible. Also, apparently you know everything about Linus if you can deduce that "he hasn't even used Mac for an hour" from a bunch of YouTube videos.

Faster...it works much faster, more responsive. Trackpad gestures (switching between programs, zooming, scrolling, launchpad), mission control, expose, tags, tabs for file explorer, coverflow mode for pictures. All these features make Mac much more faster

Reliable, it almost never crashes like something.exe stopped working. And even if you don't save your files it's really easy to recover it. And most apps save in real time, rather than prompting us to save.

Stable....Yes it's almost error free. You don't get unnecessary dll problems and oops windows stopped working message with a frowning face

Secure....since it's not a virus attracting OS, There isn't a need for anti virus

Personalizations.....Facebook, Twitter, iMessage, icloud all are baked into the OS. You can check Twitter feeds with web link within safari to access easily

You happy now @beavo451 , tagged you to alert to you of the edits I made to this post

Linus didn't like it, I think on stream he said he'd tried it and it disrupted his workflow because contrary to popular opinion its not as user friendly as you would think especially advanced commands.

I'm in the same boat, borrowed my friends Macbook to replace the screen on it while he was away in france. Played around with it for  a week and hated it, I've got a hackintosh machine for if I want to practice with OS X but as a daily driver I just felt it interupts my workflow.

I could be thinking of another youtuber but I'm almost certain it was linus.

He did mention is one of the WAN Show that he couldn't open an app. And when I got my mac first, even I had trouble since obviously it's a completely different OS. Learning a completely different OS at a pro level isn't possible in a week or two. As an experianced user of windows from 90's and a mac user from past 4 years, I know both of them well enough and In my opinion as also many of other Mac is much more reliables, faster and safer

The only problem with this is that it will be slightly bias due to him being a Windows guy, and I don't mean this because of it being a Mac (and people like hating on them for using the OS) but it being the fact that these OS's do a lot of things fundamentally different thus a lot of things would be comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended).

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

He did mention is one of the WAN Show that he couldn't open an app. And when I got my mac first, even I had trouble since obviously it's a completely different OS. Learning a completely different OS at a pro level isn't possible in a week or two. As an experianced user of windows from 90's and a mac user from past 4 years, I know both of them well enough and In my opinion as also many of other Mac is much more reliables, faster and safer

It isn't a matter of anyone being a windows guy or being pro level as it was mentioned.  I wouldn't want to watch every program or part in my rig for all the possible compatibility issues.  Yeah, sure your os works.  You can use it with all the programs that "You" have chosen to have and all the hardware that "you have decided"  If you want to take the time to be particular about it then yes it will be fine.  But there are still going to be issues... which is fair to say because even windows rigs have issues as well as linux.  But if I want to buy a new card and pop it in this rig I can without having it ordered and finding out there is a half assed (non product company) work around driver that I need or my Hackintosh wont run it.  When it does run it still might not be to it's full potential and I will get crashes and error.  What I am saying is all of the parts are geared to windows.  All of the software are geared to parts.  It isn't mac os's fault it isn't as compatible as windows on a large scale but that doesn't change the fact it is true.  Most computer enthusiasts like to build their own rigs.  But when you build a hackingtosh you really have to be a mac enthusiast. Which leads to the question.... Horse and cart..... or cart then horse.  

It's a shame more games can't be played on OS X because it really is the superior OS imo. I suspect if half of the people who hate on apple products took the time to get to know the OS they'd be singing another tune.

Building a system and upgrading parts is a whole other story though.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

It is like 

It's a shame more games can't be played on OS X because it really is the superior OS imo. I suspect if half of the people who hate on apple products took the time to get to know the OS they'd be singing another tune.

Building a system and upgrading parts is a whole other story though.

The way I look at it..... it is like purple ketchup in one of those new air sealed bottles....  Tastes fine and will get the job done fine... but sometimes it wont come out without some effort then when you try to hard.... you cant help to be pissed cuz it is all over the place.  Windows is like red ketchup in a glass bottle.  People are used to it and it is familiar. Sure sometimes you cant get it to come out but that is cuz you aren't doing it right.  :)    I've done the mac route.  Just decided I was sick of purple stains on my shirts.

It is like

The way I look at it..... it is like purple ketchup in one of those new air sealed bottles.... Tastes fine and will get the job done fine... but sometimes it wont come out without some effort then when you try to hard.... you cant help to be pissed cuz it is all over the place. Windows is like red ketchup in a glass bottle. People are used to it and it is familiar. Sure sometimes you cant get it to come out but that is cuz you aren't doing it right. :) I've done the mac route. Just decided I was sick of purple stains on my shirts.

Lol see I view it as Windows is the glass bottle and OS X is the more modern squeeze bottle. Both work but one is just easier and more efficient.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

One thing I've noticed is os x users talk about it being more efficient but never say how in an objective way outside one user talking about spotlight it's always faster, more efficient but no explanation as to what gives that feeling

R9 7950x | RTX4090

One thing I've noticed is os x users talk about it being more efficient but never say how in an objective way outside one user talking about spotlight it's always faster, more efficient but no explanation as to what gives that feeling

Mission control (workspaces), Trackpad gestures, Amazing window manager mods, Exposé, spotlight, awesome file explorer, UNIX terminal etc. All of these thing contribute to a much better experience than Windows, and all make working much quicker.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Mission control (workspaces), Trackpad gestures, Amazing window manager mods, Exposé, spotlight, awesome file explorer, UNIX terminal etc. All of these thing contribute to a much better experience than Windows, and all make working much quicker.

Finally a real answer, I would argue though that "awesome file explorer" "amazing window manager mods" are both subjective.

Trackpad gestures are available on most modern laptops/ultrabooks.

Terminal completely agree with you on and its easily more powerful than WIN X CMD on a less locked down system like Mint and Ubuntu.

I'd touched on spotlight earlier Windows search depends on the hardware and version of windows you are running and on my main rig is instantanious and it has to search through 6Tb's of HDD files.

From my time in Mint I agree workspaces are great but are something a user could add to windows if they wanted. I would've stuck to vanilla windows if you didn't talk about mods :).

As for Expose last time I checked that was now a part of mission control feel free to correct me as I could be very wrong on the matter as I said my only experience with OSX was when researching something for a Mac owner and when when I was using one as a daily driver for a week.

Don't get me wrong it's not that I hate apple, If I ever felt the need for an ultrabook I'd be buying a macbook air but I'd probably throw windows on it.

Again I'd love to get more of a feel for how the help efficiency and why they warrant a windows user taking the time to learn them so correct me where I'm wrong because I'm sure I am especially with some of the finer details and I'd like a real discussion about it.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Finally a real answer, I would argue though that "awesome file explorer" "amazing window manager mods" are both subjective.

Trackpad gestures are available on most modern laptops/ultrabooks.

Terminal completely agree with you on and its easily more powerful than Ctrl X CMD on a less locked down system like Mint and Ubuntu.

I'd touched on spotlight earlier Windows search depends on the hardware and version of windows you are running and on my main rig is instantanious and it has to search through 6Tb's of HDD files.

From my time in Mint I agree workspaces are great but are something a user could add to windows if they wanted. I would've stuck to vanilla windows if you didn't talk about mods :).

As for Expose last time I checked that was now a part of mission control feel free to correct me as I could be very wrong on the matter as I said my only experience with OSX was when researching something for a Mac owner and when when I was using one as a daily driver for a week.

Don't get me wrong it's not that I hate apple, If I ever felt the need for an ultrabook I'd be buying a macbook air but I'd probably throw windows on it.

Again I'd love to get more of a feel for how the help efficiency and why they warrant a windows user taking the time to learn them so correct me where I'm wrong because I'm sure I am especially with some of the finer details and I'd like a real discussion about it.

Sure, most laptops have gestures now, but they fall down on two fronts; They tend to be poorly built, poorly finished, poorly responsive, or a combination of the three. Secondly, the gestures for other trackpads simply aren't as useful. On OSX you can use the trackpad to switch workspaces and work Exposé (You're right, those two are now bundled as 'Mission control'), plus scrolling and general mouse movement is just so much better. This functionality is unmatched on any Windows based laptop I've ever encountered. Apple truly own the trackpad game (This all however isn't really relevant for a desktop oriented discussion). As for the file mananger, it certainly is better than Windows Explorer in my experience, but others may find it inferior if they aren't used to it. Spectacle (here: http://spectacleapp.com/) is incredible for productivity as well as simply controlling your windows. As far as my searching has gone, there's no Windows equivalent, and I wish it had it! Also, I've found workspaces on Windows to be inferior to Mission Control. lastly, a lot of programs that are on both platforms just seem to be so much nicer on OSX. The UX Apple has put together seriously makes for an OS experience that's not only great to use but great to look at.

Honestly I think you need to give OSX a good go for yourself and see how it is. Don't fall for the, 'I used it for 3 days and it was shit'. If you have experience with Linux you'll appreciate OSX's features coming from Windows. IMO it's a superior OS in every way if you're not into gaming. Try it! And maybe have a read of this: http://www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-windows/deathmatch-review-windows-81-vs-os-x-mavericks-228631?page=0,0

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Dude listen, Most people can't learn Windows 8 in a week when they come from Windows 7. What makes you think that you can learn a completely different operating system and know its full potential. Sure there's always a learning frustration. I've had problem using Mac for two three months after I got it. It's been 4 years now and I love Mac. Its better than windows in many aspects. You should use it for a year or two

I want to play games so no.

Sure, most laptops have gestures now, but they fall down on two fronts; They tend to be poorly built, poorly finished, poorly responsive, or a combination of the three. Secondly, the gestures for other trackpads simply aren't as useful. On OSX you can use the trackpad to switch workspaces and work Exposé (You're right, those two are now bundled as 'Mission control'), plus scrolling and general mouse movement is just so much better. This functionality is unmatched on any Windows based laptop I've ever encountered. Apple truly own the trackpad game (This all however isn't really relevant for a desktop oriented discussion). As for the file mananger, it certainly is better than Windows Explorer in my experience, but others may find it inferior if they aren't used to it. Spectacle (here: http://spectacleapp.com/) is incredible for productivity as well as simply controlling your windows. As far as my searching has gone, there's no Windows equivalent, and I wish it had it! Also, I've found workspaces on Windows to be inferior to Mission Control. lastly, a lot of programs that are on both platforms just seem to be so much nicer on OSX. The UX Apple has put together seriously makes for an OS experience that's not only great to use but great to look at.

Honestly I think you need to give OSX a good go for yourself and see how it is. Don't fall for the, 'I used it for 3 days and it was shit'. If you have experience with Linux you'll appreciate OSX's features coming from Windows. IMO it's a superior OS in every way if you're not into gaming. Try it! And maybe have a read of this: http://www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-windows/deathmatch-review-windows-81-vs-os-x-mavericks-228631?page=0,0

Trackpads on the hardware side are amazing they feel solidly built.Although I'd argue asus' zenbook line is closing the cap.

As for Spectacle I just had a brief view of what the website demo'ed now I can't say exactly what it does but it looks like its moving windows around using keyboard shortcuts in which case the answer I have to that are:

Win + up down left right -> Maximise , Minimise, Snap to the left using 50% of the screen, Snap to the right using 50% ect.

Win +Shift+ Up,Down,Left,Right -> Shift a window to another monitor.

Again this is only based off of them home page for Spectacle maybe it has some more features but everything it showcases I can do in windows.

And great to look at is fairly subjective I hate the bright shiny industrial look of osx (oddly the thing that attracts me to the hardware I hate about the software Macbook Airs are so beautiful <3 ).

I may setup a virtual box down the line and give OSX another go but it feels anything I could do in OSX I could do in Windows the only thing I felt I was missing are workspaces but what I got back was my freedom to play a lot of games.As I said I've used a macbook pro as my only computer for a week just out of curiosity after fixing it for my friend, I still have a hackintosh that I made with Snow Leopard and I've booted into it maybe 3 or 4 times in the past year admittedly its still unfinished I never got a few things working on it.

I had a quick glance at that article and I find it odd how OS-X has more features and less compatibility but whatever.

The other issue I have is Compatibility only being worth 10%, they are reviewing 8.1 professional as someone who works in an IT environment I can guarantee you Ease of Use,Value and Features don't mean anything if you can't run software costing a company a small fortune in licenses for.

While that's not Apple or Microsofts fault I believe it should give Compatibility a higher weighting when calculating the score.

And don't even get me started on the comments section of that site brainless apple and windows fanboys a like. :P

Either way this has been a fun discussion and I'm seriously considering busting out OS-X next weekend just to mess around with.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I don't even think NCIX has a Mac.

I think linus still has a mac from the ssd in your MacBook video on techquickie.

I think linus still has a mac from the ssd in your MacBook video on techquickie.

I must see this. I don't believe it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ok, so most of the YouTubers out there use Mac as their day to day rig, Jonathan from TLDtoday, Lew from UnboxTherapy, Marques from MKBHD, Austin from Austin Evans channel and so on, except for........Linus.

No matter how much you hate Apple, there's got to be reason why so many people use OS X.

I like Linus's reviews are a lot convincing and truthful. Not that other Youtubers are lying, but I always search for reviews done by the LinusTechTips channel or NCIXcom channel before I buy something so that I could get his opinion

So what I want to see Linus do is get a Mac, or build a Hackintosh with a help of TonyMacX86 since you must be having so many parts lying around collecting dust and use it for 1 whole month and post a video regularly expressing your thoughts on it without of course considering the price or whatsoever.

So why don't you guys (other members) like this post and bring it to the top so that Mr.TechTips himself could see this proposal.

UPDATE: I get that Linus does reviews of stuff thats only applicable to windows, but what I want is an honest opinion from him. The only reason I got really interested into computer hardware is because of him and I would like to hear his thoughts on it

UPDATE 2: I don't know what's happening here. All I'm trying to do is requesting Linus to do a review, but most people in this thread are acting like I came here to thrash down windows or something. It's whole android vs. iOS thingy going on here

UPDATE 3: For God sake, Mac is not as same as iOS. Its not closed, its as open as Windows. Most apple haters have commanded 'Oh you know Mac is closed and restricted'. No its not.....In fact Mac goes ahead of Windows with more personalization features like facebook and Twitter integration baked into it. And its not like you can't change Mac's theme like what you do in Windows. Its funny how so many people get agitated by the word 'Apple'

@LinusTech

The only reason that Austin uses a mac is because his pc died in the fire I'm sure if he wasn't given the Mac Pro then he would have rebuilt a DECENT gaming pc.

I must see this. I don't believe it.

note the respect he treats the mac with the whole time.

Also that weeks wan show he still had it.

The way he walked off at the end reminded me of my user picture...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That an ad sponsored by samsung, he was paid to do that