The First Battery Free Gameboy

GhostRoadieBL

Summary

Jasper de Winkel and his small team, a group of Computer Scientists, have finished a completely battery free original Game Boy. The "Engage" utilized solar panels and energy gathering from button presses to power the Game Boy. 

Other innovation has been developed on the software side with rapid state saving and loading to allow the game to continue at the exact millisecond it shut down if you happen to not mash enough buttons to power the device. 

"The handheld device is a "proof by demonstration" that battery-free mobile gaming is possible. It's not a Nintendo product, but it's also not just a simple novelty for researchers, either. Like the original Game Boy, it's designed to spark a revolution. "

"It's a fully operational Game Boy and can play any of the console's titles, from Tetris to Super Mario Land. It harvests energy from five small rows of solar panels on its face and from button presses made by the user. In its present state, that's enough to power the Engage for around 10 seconds, depending on the game. Then, losing power, it switches off. A few quick button mashes restore gameplay in less than a second. "

My thoughts

It looks pretty hacked together with mismatching screen and awkward colour choices but as a proof of concept this is very cool. A solar charged GameBoy mod with batteries would undoubtedly be more useful day to day but the idea of gaming without ever charging is a unique option. Obviously games like Pokemon would not be ideal if you can only get 10sec walking through a field but more Engage-ing ;) games like tetris or mario would be ideal. 

the save state and load state option for gameplay have been around in emulators for a long long time however rapid resuming a game from a save state hasn't been introduced mainstream yet. Most games have "checkpoints" but not immediate turn on and play from where you were save states.

Sources

https://www.cnet.com/features/the-first-battery-free-game-boy-wants-to-power-a-gaming-revolution/

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Never recharge 

a dream has come true 

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

so now there's a legit reason to push the buttons harder?

how about tilting our body in racing games? is that able to generate electrcity?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Wouldn't the first battery-free GameBoy be the Super GameBoy for the SNES or the GameBoy Player for the GameCube?

Both were devices that basically housed a full GameBoy or GBA (respectively) and ran without batteries; as they ran off of mainpower, through the console they are used in?

Or even people running their GameBoy (Original/Color/Pocket )straight from wall-power..

Just a technicality I thought needed to be mentioned vs. that sensationalist CNET title.

Still a cool project nonetheless. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, minibois said:

Wouldn't the first battery-free GameBoy be the Super GameBoy for the SNES or the GameBoy Player for the GameCube?

Yeah. Lies!

Where are my bloody torch and pitchfork when I need them?! 😡

Also, if I take the batteries out of the original Gameboy, isn't that the first battery-free Gameboy?

i guess it's the first "player powered GameBoy", not quite as catchy as battery-less

Who didn't purchase the A/C Adapter for the GameBoy? It was battery free for me then.

6 minutes ago, ouroesa said:

Looks like a 3rd grade project with 10secs of battery time. Not super impressed. 

it's honestly just a proof of concept, but consider how much power it takes to run a gameboy and they have found a way to solar and kinetic power it. In the future it's possible (if wishful thinking) to have a raspberry pi running off the keyboard you are using to type your emails or your game controller no longer has batteries and charges solely off of solar and button presses so you never need to think about batteries for your switch. 

16 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Mobile gaming is mostly on phones which take more power to run and do not come with physical buttons or solar panels.

If it just for the sake of not having a battery, then its already been done to death with laptops missing the battery but hooked up to the mains.

sure glad you weren't on the design team for the first mobile phones

"gaming is done on consoles with buttons and have to be hooked up to the wall outlets, no one will game on a mobile device"

when was the last time you used a laptop without a battery on an airplane? 

clearly you missed the whole point. just blind

Ngl this would have saved my childhood... 

Spoiler

FUCK YOU, CHANSEY! YOU HAPPY POS!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Look at that! They figured out how to run a sophisticated calculator with solar panels.

Well I'll be damned. :P

"the device has been created by coupling existing Game Boy emulation techniques with the latest in energy harvesting and intermittent-computing technology"
Does that mean its using some kinda FPGA? I'm genuinely curious how hardware accurate it is, and if it actually can run all games, or just the 32Kb Gameboy games.
(Gameboy games over 32KB required a memory bank controller, which would probably increase the power draw of the cartridge by ~50%. - And Everdrives... forget it. The Gameboy pocket apparently has issues providing enough power for an Everdrive)

Also just saying the Gameboy Pocket is already fairly amazingly low power. The actual power draw is 3V ~75mA. sooo 0.225W? (The Pocket is a LOT more efficient then the original brick). About 25% of that power draw being the cartridge and screen.

Let’s go Nuclear 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

So.... It cuts on and off about every ten seconds...... While playing.....
Nah - Keep it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Let’s go Nuclear 

There is a team working on nuclear waste being used as batteries in the same form factor and voltage output of AA, AAA, and 18650s. It uses graphine waste from nuclear reactor fuel rod housings and already has some working prototype chips with estimated half lifes of decades to 2k+ years. Has some crazy industrial diamond latice coating which absorbs and converts the radiation to voltage. Their focus right now is pacemakers and other medical implants. 

How much would the parts for one of these cost? I want one, even just for the party trick.

"Hey guys, wanna play some Pokemon? Wait, I just gotta mash these buttons for a bit"

In real life, I act like I know less about tech than I actually do.

Main build: CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition @ 4,0GHz (Cooler Master 212) | GPU: MSI RX580 8Gb | RAM: 12Gb DDR3 | PSU: Chieftec CTB-500S  | Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 | Storage: Seagate 500Gb HDD

Yes, I'm aware my CPU is a huge bottleneck. No, I don't really care.

Laptop: Asus TUF FX505DT 60Hz 8Gb model

"Fortifications, cannons and foreign aid won't help unless every man knows that he himself is a guardian of his country"

-Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim

10 hours ago, minibois said:

Wouldn't the first battery-free GameBoy

I thought the original Gameboys had DC in? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

There is a team working on nuclear waste being used as batteries in the same form factor and voltage output of AA, AAA, and 18650s. It uses graphine waste from nuclear reactor fuel rod housings and already has some working prototype chips with estimated half lifes of decades to 2k+ years. Has some crazy industrial diamond latice coating which absorbs and converts the radiation to voltage. Their focus right now is pacemakers and other medical implants. 

Oops Daddy 

I dropped the batteries 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler