Seasonic confirms Nvidia 12-pin connector

illegalwater
21 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Are you going to spend all day looking up a PSU when you need one "now" . No. You're not. And unless you already have a backup machine handy you're not going to order something online and wait a week for it. Work needs to be done. You can do this research when you build a new machine and plot out where to buy the parts from. Both that PSU and the current Chassis were "things I need immediately" and had NCIX offered me the crappiest things, I would have just taken it and left. With the PSU, this was a time before smartphones and not something to sit there in the store for a few hours to look up.

And unless you have proof that these PSU's explode on their 12th birthday, I really am not compelled to replace it before the Ryzen 4xxx parts are released. Considering that Seasonic's current PSU's have 12 year warranties over whatever the warranty on the current one is.

Unless the computer is critical to work, school, etc than I would argue that you never need it “now”. Even then you can afford to take half an hour to research because if a system is “mission critical” than you should really be making sure everything you put in it will work well.

34 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Are you going to spend all day looking up a PSU when you need one "now" . No. You're not. And unless you already have a backup machine handy you're not going to order something online and wait a week for it. Work needs to be done. You can do this research when you build a new machine and plot out where to buy the parts from. Both that PSU and the current Chassis were "things I need immediately" and had NCIX offered me the crappiest things, I would have just taken it and left. With the PSU, this was a time before smartphones and not something to sit there in the store for a few hours to look up.

And unless you have proof that these PSU's explode on their 12th birthday, I really am not compelled to replace it before the Ryzen 4xxx parts are released. Considering that Seasonic's current PSU's have 12 year warranties over whatever the warranty on the current one is.

There is a massive difference in that PSU you have and a Seasonic Prime quality and technology wise...

Seasonic puts that 12 warranty on them because they are built to last at least 12 years.

You PSU has a 5 year warranty on it.... And you are still using now after 13 years and 8 years out of warranty... So at best it might have been in spec for maybe 7 years, doubtful however given how PSUs were back then......  

What you have is a time bomb, it's not a PSU anymore, it's a bomb waiting to go off that's shaped like a PSU.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

13 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Unless the computer is critical to work, school, etc than I would argue that you never need it “now”. Even then you can afford to take half an hour to research because if a system is “mission critical” than you should really be making sure everything you put in it will work well.

Before smartphones, it wasn’t easy to get online while at a store, and few stores provided reviews and even specifications. Though that is seldom a problem nowadays both due to phones being commonplace (if you’re in the position that you need a psu for mission critical work, you likely have a smartphone), and more importantly, brick and mortar stores becoming rare enough that you may not have a choice but to order online anyway. 

For the last bit, with a self built system that is mission critical, it is imperative to keep spare components or even a spare system that can be easily mirrored on hand. Without spares and in-person stores, you’re at the mercy of overnight delivery. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

30 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Before smartphones, it wasn’t easy to get online while at a store, and few stores provided reviews and even specifications. Though that is seldom a problem nowadays both due to phones being commonplace (if you’re in the position that you need a psu for mission critical work, you likely have a smartphone), and more importantly, brick and mortar stores becoming rare enough that you may not have a choice but to order online anyway. 

For the last bit, with a self built system that is mission critical, it is imperative to keep spare components or even a spare system that can be easily mirrored on hand. Without spares and in-person stores, you’re at the mercy of overnight delivery. 

Absolutely...

I have spare MB's, CPU's, PSUs, Memory and SSD's etc.

And a spare system that all I need to do is turn it on and it's ready. (8700K, 1080Ti etc, etc...)

So if I want something I don't have to worry about the wait time ordering it.

I am not in a hurry.....

I also have a smart phone and an IPAD.....

These are just spare parts as an example....

IMG_0108-4K.jpg

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

21 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

These are just spares as an example....

I still have the previous system in a cheap case. But at the time I had just moved and NCIX was two train stops away. I literately bought everything for the build and brought it onto the train. I had to take the entire thing back to NCIX to have them test because I had nothing spare to test with.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Different Seasonic PSUs have different cables, I'm afraid.  Only the most current ones are standardized.

ah mb i forgot about all the old models. i consider focus series to be old lol, afaik anything after the old focus series with the inline caps uses the standardized sesasonic cables

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

5 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I still have the previous system in a cheap case. But at the time I had just moved and NCIX was two train stops away. I literately bought everything for the build and brought it onto the train. I had to take the entire thing back to NCIX to have them test because I had nothing spare to test with.

I know what you mean, I was still in the business back then so I always had plenty of spares around....

Dumbed all of the really old stuff, had a lot of it too from over the years...

Usually best to have a current spare MB and PSU around for testing....

People tend to overate the PSU requirements not just in wattage but quality also. PSU tier lists are a fallacy. Sure there is a difference between a $50 PSU and a $300 PSU, however that difference is rarely needed by most builders. Unless you are overclocking an HEDT or spec'ing out a server then generally anything decent from a branded company will suffice.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

37 minutes ago, mr moose said:

People tend to overate the PSU requirements not just in wattage but quality also. PSU tier lists are a fallacy. Sure there is a difference between a $50 PSU and a $300 PSU, however that difference is rarely needed by most builders. Unless you are overclocking an HEDT or spec'ing out a server then generally anything decent from a branded company will suffice.

Yeah, the newer list is much better in that respect.... Than the old ones....

Yes, a Corsair RMX would due just fine in place of a Corsair AXI as an example given the same wattage.... Just went with those two as an example due the very large price difference. Both are high quality PSU's...

A good high quality PSU is a good high quality PSU.

Need to match the PSU with the build however, that does actually matter.

Like not pairing a budget PSU with a high end gaming system...

There will be and is a noticeable difference between a Corsair CX(m) and the RMX, HX(i) and AX(i) series PSUs so pick the right series for the build....

The PSU is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the build by far..... Next would be the Motherboard.... The 2 parts with the least amount of bling when compared to the others are the foundation of the whole machine and they are critical to have a stable computer.  

35 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That is not always the case. There is no brand on the market, even the high end OEMs, who’s entire product stack is good. It always pays to research and not be blinded by stupid things like “I bought a good product from this company once so that means everything else from them will also be good”. While you are right about people overestimating wattage you do people a disservice by telling them to play brand loyalty games.

i dunno how this thread ended up as "should you buy nice psus" but imo 90% of stuff that is released by major manufacturers and isnt their bottom tier shit is probably more than enough for the average user. i personally prefer seasonic and wouldnt consider anything under a px, and i got a prime ultra titanium for my current build. the fully transferable warranty is really nice, and i ended up with a 750w titanium that has 9 years of warranty left for 120 bucks. couldve gotten a gold unit for 20 bucks less and it wouldve been perfectly fine but ill spend 2% more out of the full build's cost for some nice stuff. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

That is not always the case. There is no brand on the market, even the high end OEMs, who’s entire product stack is good. It always pays to research and not be blinded by stupid things like “I bought a good product from this company once so that means everything else from them will also be good”. While you are right about people overestimating wattage you do people a disservice by telling them to play brand loyalty games.

Huh?  I never said anything about brand loyalty.   If you look at the failure rates for PSU, once you hit recognized brand names the failure rates all drop to below 5% (industry average).  Ergo the chance of buying a PSU of low physical quality with a higher chance of failure diminishes the second you buy something with reasonable a brand on it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Ankerson said:

There is a massive difference in that PSU you have and a Seasonic Prime quality and technology wise...

Seasonic puts that 12 warranty on them because they are built to last at least 12 years.

You PSU has a 5 year warranty on it.... And you are still using now after 13 years and 8 years out of warranty... So at best it might have been in spec for maybe 7 years, doubtful however given how PSUs were back then......  

What you have is a time bomb, it's not a PSU anymore, it's a bomb waiting to go off that's shaped like a PSU.

I'm sorry this is a bullshit statement. 

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

1 minute ago, jasonc_01 said:

I'm sorry this is a bullshit statement. 

It's not..... ;)

It a lot truer than you would believe....

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Huh?  I never said anything about brand loyalty.   If you look at the failure rates for PSU, once you hit recognized brand names the failure rates all drop to below 5% (industry average).  Ergo the chance of buying a PSU of low physical quality with a higher chance of failure diminishes the second you buy something with reasonable a brand on it.

All depends on the tier and the platform they’re built on. Everyone has released bad PSUs at different market segments. The vast majority of super cheap PSUs, even from reputable manufacturers, is crap. It’s gotten better but there really are only a small handful of sub-$50 options worth buying. Let’s not forget that a power supply is a component most likely to be used across several upgrades, only being replaced when it dies. This is even true among hardware enthusiasts. With that in mind it is always imperative to do research prior to buying. Just buying something because it has a notable name brand on it is foolish. I consider doing research as an important part of being a good consumer.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That's not actually true...

There are tiers to everything the companies make.....

Out of that 5% failure rate break that down between the tiers and you would be shocked....

Just now, Ankerson said:

That's not actually true...

There are tier to everything the companies make.....

Out of that 5% failure rate break that down between the tiers and you would be shocked....

not likely,  I spent enough time fixing/replacing electronic shit to know what beaks and why.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

not likely,  I spent enough time fixing/replacing electronic shit to know what beaks and why.

PSU's different than most other electronics.....

Can't compare a PSU to a TV or a toaster oven..

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So you’ve built and repaired the tens of millions of PSUs that would be needed in order to have the in-depth knowledge required to speak definitively on this subject?

1 minute ago, Ankerson said:

PSU's different than most other electronics.....

Can't compare a PSU to a TV or a toaster oven..

who did that? 

look, I have no idea what you consider to be good, but I've been playing with switch mode psu's and regular power supplies for the better part of 30 years including 3 years I spent at college getting qualifications. 

I stay out of the psu sub for the same reason I stay out of the audio sub, I don't want to argue with people just because they think they know everything.

5 minutes ago, Derangel said:

So you’ve built and repaired the tens of millions of PSUs that would be needed in order to have the in-depth knowledge required to speak definitively on this subject?

yep, that's definitely a pre-requisite for knowledge.🙄

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

who did that? 

look, I have no idea what you consider to be good, but I've been playing with switch mode psu's and regular power supplies for the better part of 30 years including 3 years I spent at college getting qualifications. 

I stay out of the psu sub for the same reason I stay out of the audio sub, I don't want to argue with people just because they think they know everything.

I can completely understand about the audio forum... LOL

One I don't know enough about it, two I am tone def so it doesn't matter to me. As long as I can hear it and it sounds good to me it's fine.

Just now, Ankerson said:

I can completely understand about the audio forum... LOL

trust me (or don't, it's the internet after all), it's the same in all the subs, the difference is I actually have education and experience in both of those. All the other subs I am just as bad as the rest.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

trust me (or don't, it's the internet after all), it's the same in all the subs, the difference is I actually have education and experience in both of those. All the other subs I am just as bad as the rest.

Audio is really mostly subjective I would guess, what someone can actually hear or not..... And that would tend to vary quite a bit.... Depending on peoples actual hearing.

Not my thing, so.....

Saw some audio cable arguments before, they are funny..... 🤣

I stay far away from it because I don't know much about it.

I am a hardware guy, so I have seen the aftermath of blown PSUs...