Xiao-i is suing Apple for 1.43 Billion USD

soldier_ph

Summary

Xiao-i, better known as Shanghai Zhizhen Network Technology Co., is a Chinese AI firm that announced on Monday it has filed a patent-infringement lawsuit against Apple. It is suing Apple for 1.43 Billion USD (or 10 Billion yuan) in damages in Shanghai court after the AI firm recently acquired a patent for a Voice assistant whose architecture is said to be similiar to Siri. As part of the Lawsuit Xiao-i is asking Apple to stop the sale, production and use of it's products that have the patent, which encompasses the vast majority of Apple's products on the market today.

Quotes

-Quote form foxbusiness-

A Chinese AI firm announced Monday that it has filed a patent-infringement lawsuit against Apple, which could prevent the tech giant from selling certain products in the important Chinese market, according to a report.

Shanghai Zhizhen Network Technology Co. -- also known as Xiao-i -- announced it is suing Apple for 10 billion yuan ($1.43 billion) in damages in Shanghai court after the Chinese company recently acquired a patent for a voice assistant whose technical architecture is said to be similar to Apple's Siri, The Wall Street Journal reported. Apple introduced the voice-activated intelligent assistant Siri in 2011. Since then, it has helped smartphone and laptop users enable functions such as alarms and reminders as well as send texts or call someone without having to pick up the device. As part of the lawsuit, Shanghai Zhizhen Network Technology Co. is asking the tech behemoth to stop the sale, production and use of its products that have the patent, which encompasses the vast majority of Apple's products. In June, following an eight-year legal battle, China's Supreme Court ruled that Shanghai Zhizhen owns the patent for the technology in China, the Journal reported, adding that the company can apply for a preliminary injunction. If the injunction, which has to meet strict conditions, is issued, the court could ban Apple from selling its Siri-enabled products in China while the trial persists, Fang Jianwei, a former Chinese judge who is now a litigation partner at Zhong Lun Law Firm in Shanghai, told the Journal. Fang noted that such injunctions, however, are rarely approved. Furthermore, he added that although the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Shanghai Zhizhen, the current court could still rule in favor of Apple if the technology behind the voice assistants is found to be different enough. However, Apple told FOX Business in a statement Monday that the company "deeply respects innovation, and our teams work tirelessly to create new technology and product features" for customers.  The news comes after Apple posted sales growth, though slim, in the greater China region amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Last week, the company noted that sales in the region rose to $9.33 billion over the three-month period ending June 27, according to the company's earnings report.

“China remains a key ingredient in Apple’s recipe for success as we estimate roughly 20% of iPhone upgrades will be coming from this region over the coming year,” Daniel Ives of Wedbush Securities said in a note, Reuters reported.

China is the No. 2 market in terms of Apple sales, behind the U.S., the Journal reported.

My thoughts

I think that this legal Battle won't have any affect on Apple really, they'll pay the 1.43B USD fine but they certainly won't stop selling their products in China (nor stop making them there) with Siri on it. Though right now the Shanghai court could still vote in favour of Apple so what exactly this lawsuit is gonna result in is still open. Shoutout to @zeusthemoose for sharing this Story with me !

Sources

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/apple-lawsuit-chinese-ai-firm-siri

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-hit-with-1-4b-lawsuit-over-alleged-siri-patent-infringement-by-chinese-company/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-hit-1-4b-lawsuit-155807333.html

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

like that's gonna work...

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

Wait, I thought no US products could be sold to china because of trumps business plan that punished lucrative us exports. And I don't think there is a chinese Siri anyways.

14 minutes ago, Pascal... said:

I think that this legal Battle won't have any affect on Apple really, they'll pay the 1.43B USD fine but they certainly won't stop selling their products in China (nor stop making them there) with Siri on it. 

keep in mind they lost a lawsuit to a company that made handbag named iphone, so for now, it's hard to predict. 

In 2012, Apple paid $60 million to end a protracted legal dispute over the iPad trademark in China, which had hampered some sales and delayed the introduction of a new iPad in the country.

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/news/story/in-china-a-leather-bag-can-be-called-iphone-rules-court-321597-2016-05-04

Another one?

Is China becoming the new patent troll holy land? Or is this just part of the Chinese gov's plot for getting back at the US in the ever escalating "trade war"... Can be a lot of things.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Another one?

Is China becoming the new patent troll holy land? Or is this just part of the Chinese gov's plot for getting back at the US in the ever escalating "trade war"... Can be a lot of things.

Trade wars don't work if the other party holds the majority power (in this case China holds the majority power).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Another one?

China basically vowed to go after US companies for IP due to the US going after China for IP theft and blocking Chinese hardware.  This is all retaliatory nonsense to make the Chinese government have a PR arm to Chinese people, much like the also recent FinFET suit against Intel.

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

So they're being sued by a company for using a product that has been around for longer than the patent they're using to sue. Gl;hf.

It sounds like they spent the last 8 years fighting that they own the patent, now they have been granted ownership by the high court they can finally sue apple.  I don't think they only just acquired it recently. 

Also as frustrating as it is, even they did only just acquire the rights, it wouldn't be the first time a company has been successful in suing for stuff prior to ownership, It's happened here before.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Another company after Apple’s coffers. I don’t think this will stand up. 

I know what China is doing. They'll be extorting money this way. Pay us the sum we ask for in the "patent infringement" (that we stole from US anyways) or we'll block you from Chinese market. And since everyone knows China by itself is a massive market, everyone's gonna pay. Bookmark this comment because I guarantee you more and more of this shit will start popping up...

It would just be absolutely hilarious all non-Chinese companies in China would close down and left them despite loss of a big market. And sanction China everywhere outside of China because of state wide extortion scheme so China couldn't just spread its tentacles unchallenged outside of China. Realistically, this would be the only medicine to stop whatever game China is trying to play here.

US company: *Does something bad* 

Everyone: That company sure is bad! 

Chinese company: *Does something bad*

Everyone: China sure is bad! 

By the way, this patent dates back to 2004 so there might be some legitimacy to it. Don't be too quick to jump on the "China bad" bandwagon. People have been complaining that China doesn't have IP laws for a long time but now that they are starting to enforce them people complain too? 

Remember, China has recently passed the US in number of patents filed. So for every US parent lawsuit it makes sense that we see at least one involving a Chinese company. 

Edit: I looked it up and in the US 5000-6000 patent lawsuits filed every year in the US. This means that even without some crazy conspiracy theory about China, it makes sense that we should see around 5000-6000 patent lawsuits there as well. I really don't get why people are surprised and that this is some big-brain plan from the Chinese government to try and harm the US when they would not use random companies and lawsuits to do that. If the Chinese government didn't want iPhones to exist in China they would just ban Apple from making sales in China. Just like the US has banned Huawei stuff in the US.

Thinking that this is some conspiracy theory makes absolutely no sense.

Ironic. A Chinese company suing a foreign company for IP infringement ... what world am I living in

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Another one?

It wasn't until relatively recently that Chinese patents could be enforced outside of China. Thanks WTO. So by allowing Chinese companies to steal foreign IP through JV's and then patenting that same tech and suing other foreign companies that use it, gee, maybe don't JV in China, it always ends in lawsuits.

I think the only aspect of trade wars here is really the Chinese government can tell it's companies to find a reason to sue foreigners, and patents are a relative easy way to do so by submarine'ing the patents so they can blackmail companies from selling in their own countries, while simultaneously ignoring patent infringement in their own backyard.