UserBenchmark - what's so bad about it?

I use the UserBenchmark website quite a bit when comparing GPUs and CPUs just to get a general understanding of how big of a difference some hardware are from one and other. But I've seen a lot of people saying this site is garbage and should not be used. One guy claimed they're biased against Intel. Can someone give me an ELI5 of this? Should I not use this site?

I believe it is something about the formulas being completely wrong. But @BlueScope819 knows much more about this then me, maybe they can help explain it.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

they fake numbers. not reliable and is over all fake, please avoid it. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

17 minutes ago, RonnyDouglas said:

I use the UserBenchmark website quite a bit when comparing GPUs and CPUs just to get a general understanding of how big of a difference some hardware are from one and other. But I've seen a lot of people saying this site is garbage and should not be used. One guy claimed they're biased against Intel. Can someone give me an ELI5 of this? Should I not use this site?

There are two things offending about the UserBenchmark scores.

Problem 1

The first and most egregious would be their CPU ranking, which is one of the first percentages you will see on the page:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ade1268517473f50be7a7c9825549039.png

Simply put, this number is comprised from different scores they gather and the distribution of importance is something like this:

Single core speed: 75% of the final score

4-core speed: 20% of the final score

64-core speed: 5% of the score

(don't quote me on those percentages, this is kind of illustrative and somewhat near what the weightings actually are)

This makes it so, as you can see in the screenshot above, a 4c4t CPU like an i3 9100F can rival a 12c24t CPU like the R9 3900X in overall score.

According to UB this is because gaming is their primary focus, which I understand; but I think putting so much importance in single core is not realistic nowadays.

Solution 1

The solution to this is simply ignoring the overall score and just looking at single core speeds and then thinking about how many cores/threads you will use and making a score for your use like that.

Problem 2

Another issue with the website is the way people can run benchmarks. I can run UserBenchmark on my PC, with a highly overclocked system, running very cool and with absolutely no background tasks.

Someone can also run UserBenchmark with no OC, while their system is overheating, with their RAM at the default 2133Mhz speed while watching a 4K60fps YouTube video.

UB will just present these two benchmark runs as equal, which they are not. This sorts of poisons the UB database and thus results.

Solution 2:

Look at UB for a vague idea of performance, but don't look at it as a definitive score.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If online comparison tools are used as a small part of wider research then I never see an issue.

If used in isolation then they are potentially misleading as it is just one perspective, and potentially skewed for various reasons such as sample sources, population skewness and test validity.

The same goes for pretty much all other similar online tools, including PSU calculators and bottleneck calculators. Along they are a poor way of making a decision but when used to be put in context, and their results not taken at face value but as comparisons within their data sets, they CAN be helpful.

Just don’t use them on their own to back up an argument, that will never end well.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, RonnyDouglas said:

well i3 9350k is better than threadripper 3990x according to the site. thats all what you want to know. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Userbench's owner has engaged in direct insults and attacks on reputable outlets. He has also skewed, faked and manipulated numbers. The site is a massive meme and is banned on multiple online forums because of it.

as said before userbenchmark is bs and i use cinebench 3dmark and passmark something like passmark is like 30 years old and people used it and trusted it for more than my age

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Exhibit B:
image.thumb.png.0b14fa265057e60ef53afffcdff3a987.png

This is what they link to:

Thanks @minibois and everyone else for your replies. I will think a second time before trusting the numbers on the site.

The site is garbage because of its "Effective speed" rating, because of its ranking and few other things but it can be useful to people.

There are two useful figures to check when you're comparing two CPUs on userbenchmark:
1. 1-Core speed metric should give you a rough estimate of singlethreaded performance of the chip

2. 64-Core speed number should give you the estimated multithreaded performance of the chip

The rest is pretty much useless garbage information.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

The site is garbage because of its "Effective speed" rating, because of its ranking and few other things but it can be useful to people.

There are two useful figures to check when you're comparing two CPUs on userbenchmark:
1. 1-Core speed metric should give you a rough estimate of singlethreaded performance of the chip

2. 64-Core speed number should give you the estimated multithreaded performance of the chip

The rest is pretty much useless garbage information.

I would actually say even those are a wash. I've had UB give me massive variation on two separate systems with identical specs. It just spat out incredibly distant numbers, especially for single-core speeds (both same i7, both same RAM speeds, both same BIOS settings and software installed).

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

I would actually say even those are a wash. I've had UB give me massive variation on two separate systems with identical specs. It just spat out incredibly distant numbers, especially for single-core speeds (both same i7, both same RAM speeds, both same BIOS settings and software installed).

In my experience they're more-or-less accurate, at least relatively speaking as these tell you nothing as absolute numbers, I only compare them in relation to one another.

They're somewhat arbitrary of course, but those two metrics seem more accurate than what most other "comparison" websites provide - the benchmarking tool itself is garbage though and has many bugs and quirks itself, it's terrible for storage performance when you're running multiple drives and can kind-of be tricked into showing higher, unrealistic performance numbers, which isn't acceptable for benchmarking software

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

18 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

well i3 9350k is better than threadripper 3990x according to the site. thats all what you want to know. 

That's because it shows how good the Intel cpu's are. /s

The 4core i3-9350KF is only a few percent behind the 10core i9-10900K.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

In my experience they're more-or-less accurate, at least relatively speaking as these tell you nothing as absolute numbers, I only compare them in relation to one another.

They're somewhat arbitrary of course, but those two metrics seem more accurate than what most other "comparison" websites provide - the benchmarking tool itself is garbage though and has many bugs and quirks itself, it's terrible for storage performance when you're running multiple drives and can kind-of be tricked into showing higher, unrealistic performance numbers, which isn't acceptable for benchmarking software

I honestly don't remember what caused the massive disparity but I couldn't resolve it. Even nuking both OSes didn't resolve it. Only after I swapped boards did the scores also swap. I have no idea why an Asus board would produce better results than an ASRock board given all settings, clocks and etc were identical.

userbenchmark tried to take a concept that is good for quick comparisons and trends over time, and tried to turn it into the be all and end all of metrics, to the point of toxicity.

if you look at just the bare numbers, they're actually pretty useful, its just that those numbers get burried deeper and deeper in an absolutely horrible pile of worthless fluff.

2 minutes ago, Ralf said:

That's because it shows how good the Intel cpu's are. /s

The 4core i3-9350KF is only a few percent behind the 10core i9-10900K.

hope you are joking...

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

1 minute ago, SavageNeo said:

hope you are joking...

Look at the rig in their signature, I doubt they are. Unless that too is a troll.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Look at the rig in their signature, I doubt they are. Unless that too is a troll.

9900ks with H310 board...  wait that has to be fake. NVM

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

hope you are joking...

7 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Here, only 5% slower in games: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-9350KF-vs-Intel-Core-i9-10900K/4055vs4071

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

11 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Your contradicting yourself?

I believe it's a pretty legitimate statement - the tool is garbage, true, but it's equally garbage for everyone, so if you assume that the average of scores for all CPUs is skewed in the same way, you can still use the scores as relative performance numbers.

8 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

9900ks with H310 board...  wait that has to be fake. NVM

Not fake but completely ridiculous. I've seen people do it before, but the main thing I'm confused by is it's a DDR3 H310 motherboard, wtf is this combination. 9th Gen Intel doesn't support DDR3 last time I checked. :/

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Not fake but completely ridiculous. I've seen people do it before, but the main thing I'm confused by is it's a DDR3 H310 motherboard, wtf is this combination. 9th Gen Intel doesn't support DDR3 last time I checked. :/

well you can do some odd bios modding. 

image.jpeg.41ff9e70fa3a07698180ddf1dc68922b.jpeg

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Maybe you should read up on the rest of the replies in thread, posting a link to a Userbenchmark when we are talking about how unreliable and skewed Userbenchmark is, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.