Verizon says gamers should pay more for bandwidth

ETRJ

Man, I love Cox. (DO NOT take that the wrong way.)

I haven't seen any throttling and actually, our speed went up a bit a while ago. I saw somewhere that it's like one of the only big ISPs apart from Fiber and something else that has had bandwidth for Netflix actually go up.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I live in a lucky part of the US, the speed may be 1.5Mbp/s down and 0.9 up it has no data cap.

I get around 3Mb/s down (Around 25MBP/s). I think we do have a data cap but it's pretty big and I don't think anything actually happens when we hit it. When we visit our grandparents it's awful for me. They have like satellite internet or something which has very little bandwidth and the speed varies. (Still really slow all the time.) Usually when I'm there I can barely watch 240p or 360p YouTube. Once I was able to stream 720p for 10 glorious minutes. Other times I can't do 144p. Phones get 1-2 bars of 2g so tethering is pretty much impossible. I can't bear to think that people have to deal with that every day. (They live in a pretty secluded part of Maine that is mostly retired people.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

$200 Volvo 245

I live in a lucky part of the US, the speed may be 1.5Mbp/s down and 0.9 up it has no data cap.

I have 30 mbps down and 2 Mbps up with virgin media, I have reached the data cap before but I think its a lot because just on my phone from the 1st freburay to the 1st march I've used 94 gigs of data just on my phone alone

For the amount of money we spend, the size, and how many people there are, our internet is piss poor.

The thing with the US is that while we have a large population, we also have a very large country with people spread out all over. Our network infastructure is terrible, but there is no way for it to be as good as places like Japan, South Korea, Norway, etc simply due to sheer size. Ignoring all the political BS surrounding ISP and city relations it would take an astronomical amount of money for any one company to hook up every single person to reliable and fast internet. Add to that the telecoms have WAY too much power over the internet in the US. They have the money and politcal pull to get what they want.

The thing with the US is that while we have a large population, we also have a very large country with people spread out all over. Our network infastructure is terrible, but there is no way for it to be as good as places like Japan, South Korea, Norway, etc simply due to sheer size. Ignoring all the political BS surrounding ISP and city relations it would take an astronomical amount of money for any one company to hook up every single person to reliable and fast internet. Add to that the telecoms have WAY too much power over the internet in the US. They have the money and politcal pull to get what they want.

Not true, it's actually easy, you just have to have a simplified infrastructure that's not controlled by politics that way they can get their shit done.

False and misleading title says it all.

From the article:

"Currently I'm doing a short piece on CEO McAdam's speech on Monday, where he mentioned that 'heavy users' should 'help contribute to the investment to keep the web healthy. Could we get some clarification from Verizon on who these 'heavy users' are? Right now, it seems that Mr. McAdams (sic) is in favor of charging both consumers and companies more if they use more bandwidth, and I'd like to make sure I'm not mis-interpreting.""

Both Consumers and Companies be the keyword... singling out just gamers is wrong and dishonest!

Not true, it's actually easy, you just have to have a simplified infrastructure that's not controlled by politics that way they can get their shit done.

While it's relatively easy along both coasts, the middle of the country is basically open fields with towns and cities here and there. A vast portion of the mid-western US is farm land. There is nothing easy or cheap about getting everyone access to high speed internet. Getting rid of government approved monoplies would help, but the cost issue is sitll there. Quite frankly in many areas it simply isn't profitable to lay down the lines. For as shady as they can be, the tax breaks and other insentives cities give to ISPs do encourage them to move in.

I get around 3Mb/s down (Around 25MBP/s). I think we do have a data cap but it's pretty big and I don't think anything actually happens when we hit it. When we visit our grandparents it's awful for me. They have like satellite internet or something which has very little bandwidth and the speed varies. (Still really slow all the time.) Usually when I'm there I can barely watch 240p or 360p YouTube. Once I was able to stream 720p for 10 glorious minutes. Other times I can't do 144p. Phones get 1-2 bars of 2g so tethering is pretty much impossible. I can't bear to think that people have to deal with that every day. (They live in a pretty secluded part of Maine that is mostly retired people.)

??? no I really have unlimited. if i do have limited than it is over 3TB per month, because one month I did nothing but download and I got about 3.02TB downloaded and no change in price, but it was downloading all month so there is that.

Nothing to see here, move along

I have 20/1 with no data cap, it's still terrible.

I'm guessing either its congested (try a VPN) or its because of the slow upload.

??? no I really have unlimited. if i do have limited than it is over 3TB per month, because one month I did nothing but download and I got about 3.02TB downloaded and no change in price, but it was downloading all month so there is that.

Hmm. Well, my dad yelled at me one time after I had to reinstall all my games for going over the limit. (Didn't know we even have one.) I've put a router in my room that just my devices and my brother's tablet use and for this month it's used about 200GB. (DD-WRT keeps a graph of the data usage.)

$200 Volvo 245

I'm guessing either its congested (try a VPN) or its because of the slow upload.

Nah, it's just that for how much is paid for the service, it should be faster.

Nah, it's just that for how much is paid for the service, it should be faster.

Sometimes in order to get faster download you need a faster upload.

Sometimes in order to get faster download you need a faster upload.

That is the most pointless idea ever. There should be no reason that an upload is slower than a download.

That is the most pointless idea ever. There should be no reason that an upload is slower than a download.

I know.

We should nationalize the internetz servicez

InterquebecNet

HOORAH! that would be so op.

In fact, we should nationalize every basic industry.

Wont even need taxes anymore.

oh wait... FREE Governement!

NextGenDemocracy

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

AT&T here, 20Mb/2Mb. Business line because of servers for Teamspeak and websites.

I think our speed got bumped up too. I've been downloading at 3.5MB/s, don't really test my upload much.

Even though I haven't had any problems with AT&T, I would switch to Google Fiber(or bring in two lines) in a heartbeat.

I fully support Verizon's stupidity. "Why?" you might ask, well its because the only thing this does is increase demand for a service like google fiber. As we have seen, increased demand for Google fiber has led Google to increase supply and spreading to new cities. If these ISPs continue to piss off customers, it will get Google fiber to our doorstep that much faster. Goooooooooo Verizon and comcast and time wa... i mean comcast and all the other shitty ISPs who cant tell the difference between a rock and customer.

Hey Verizon, eat a dick.

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

I don't know if you know but the USA FCC made a "national broadband plan" so everyone can have affordable high speed (100mbps) across the country. It was started back in 2010. But I never heard of this until now. But the results are piss poor cause isp keeping trying to do this crap.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Look at all the people complaining about it here.

Its hilalrious.

You all complain, yet you will end up paying extra for it sooner or later.

Why not cancle your verizon, comcast, and time warner accounts if you feel so strongly about it? Oh, you want your fast internet. Thats why.

Yeah you're right, lets all cancel our internet for 10x slower internet. And when those giant companies see that they're losing tons of customers to "bobs DSL" they'll just buy it outright and we're back to square one. 

Better yet lets all go back to the stone age and write messages on rocks and throw it at eachother.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I would say heavy users do contribute more you douche canoe. It's called buying a higher bandwith connection. If I am already paying for it I should not have to pay more just because the idiot down the street pays for his and doesn't use it. I can't wait for google fiber to come to my city so hopefully I won't have to put up with this bullshit anymore.

LTT conglomerate can use your support. Join us at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT .   See you in the verse.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Look at all the people complaining about it here.

Its hilalrious.

You all complain, yet you will end up paying extra for it sooner or later.

Why not cancle your verizon, comcast, and time warner accounts if you feel so strongly about it? Oh, you want your fast internet. Thats why.

If we canceled our plan with our current ISP's and we all switched to lets say Company A, Time Warner or somebody else would just buy Company A

This is rediculous. I had unlimited 200Mb/10mb connection at my old apartment, and it was 24.90€/month.

'Murica, get your shit together.