First ARM based Macs revealed, 13-Inch MacBook Pro and Redesigned iMac

TempestCatto

there must be a sliver of truth in Linus' conspiracy theory: Apple kneecapping their cooling solution so much so that they can come on stage and boast about how cool their ARM solution is in comparison.

Personally if it happens it's just going to be to resurrect the 12'' MacBook, worst case they also put it on the Mac Mini.

Still wouldn't buy even it finally brings a Mac that doesn't run at skin burning temps.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

there must be a sliver of truth in Linus' conspiracy theory: Apple kneecapping their cooling solution so much so that they can come on stage and boast about how cool their ARM solution is in comparison.

Personally if it happens it's just going to be to resurrect the 12'' MacBook, worst case they also put it on the Mac Mini.

Still wouldn't buy even it finally brings a Mac that doesn't run at skin burning temps.

I actually don’t think there is a conspiracy to it.

If we take the recent LTT video when they try to ”fix” the MBA cooling, that design choice rather tells me that it was made with ARM in mind. 

Maybe something happened along the way; the destined ARM cpu for it didn’t preform satisfactory, a contract with Intel Apple couldn’t get out of, delays in production of destined ARM cpu, strategic decision to wait with the move to ARM until cpus for the more powerful lineups where ready (so they can move over more models in the same time), licensing problems of thunderbolt, licensing problems of x86 instructions (to allow compability with old software) etc

If Windows 10 for ARM really has such low overhead it would be interesting to try one out. I often adopt early weird tech. Like I tried first version of Atom, tried first version of AMD's APU, first generation of mobile Ryzen (2500U, still amazed how powerful it is)... In a way low power chips have excited me for quite a while in mobile devices. Running Windows 10 on an ARM would also be one of those things. Especially since ARM chips in laptops have more relaxed power restrictions compared to smartphones so they can really unleash their potential. Might do something stupid like get an ARM laptop in the future...

57 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If Windows 10 for ARM really has such low overhead it would be interesting to try one out. I often adopt early weird tech. Like I tried first version of Atom, tried first version of AMD's APU, first generation of mobile Ryzen (2500U, still amazed how powerful it is)... In a way low power chips have excited me for quite a while in mobile devices. Running Windows 10 on an ARM would also be one of those things. Especially since ARM chips in laptops have more relaxed power restrictions compared to smartphones so they can really unleash their potential. Might do something stupid like get an ARM laptop in the future...

meh, not impressed

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, Spindel said:

licensing problems of thunderbolt

Since Apple is a co-developer of Thunderbolt, I don't think they'll have licensing issues with it.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

53 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Since Apple is a co-developer of Thunderbolt, I don't think they'll have licensing issues with it.

Yep but i expect these device to be the first to ship with USB4 so it is a non issue.

Since dropping the Floppy disk updating to the latest USB spec 2 to 4 years before the rest of the industry has been apple's MO.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

meh, not impressed

The CPU in that is ~= to an iphone 8

9 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I think it's a bad move, but apparently Apple thinks it's more important to allow tablet "apps" on a computer than it is to have people do real work on their machines.

I talked briefly with my supervisor about this situation and he thinks its a good change. In his words, Apple laptops usually throttle hard enough under stress that it basically negates the performance advantage over ARM, so it makes sense to just use ARM.
Granted, I work for VIA and we've been out of the CPU market for close to a decade now so maybe my supervisor doesn't know what he's talking about.

This is a signature.

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

Yep but i expect these device to be the first to ship with USB4 so it is a non issue.

If that's the case. Can Apple make their iPads especially the upcoming iPad Air 4 to be more compatible with third party USB C hubs? I've seen a lot of times in my class where an iPad Pro fails to deliver a presentation because of an incompatible USB C hub to HDMI/VGA but works fine on a MacBook Pro.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

11 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

What about the Mac Pro? Do people that need real processing power want this move? 

in terms of power you can get close, sinc eyou can just scale up the corecount while still remaining very efficient. the iPad Pro is competitive in performance with a low end macbook pro, but that's a fanless tablet. all they'd have to do is put 50x the amount of cores in it and slap a heatsink on. 

She/Her

This is going one of two ways either Apple gets people to really push developing full scale desktop applications on arm or the backlash is so great they switch back. 

Who am I kidding it's Apple they will just tell you how amazing iPad apps are on a laptop and tell you your holding using the device wrong if your trying to use a laptop for actual productivity. 

Apple if aiming for high perfromance they need a dGPU still... Anyhows can these new MACs even run Steam? :I

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

To be honest I feel like Arm is just going to be like the PowerPC architecture, it won't last and Apple will return to Intel or AMD. I could be really wrong but to be honest I have to see how well a laptop oriented Arm CPU that has higher power and temperature limits, with heat pipes or not, since the most powerfull Arm cpu's I've seen are low power mobile phone one's which use under 5W.

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Unless Apple give Windows 10 on ARM via Bootcamp a green light, chances are the new macOS for ARM will exclusively run on Apple’s in-house chips unless someone tampers the OS to make it run on Qualcomm Snapdragon chips but even if that’s possible, it’ll probably be useless because Qualcomm doesn’t have drivers compatible for macOS. 

It was meant in jest. 

Apple will probably wall that garden up even more now. The T2 chip will probably be beefied up and you won't be able to even boot without it checking the SN on the SSD to the CPU, RAM and other components. Probably even checking against screen, keyboard and other components just to be sure and to make repair impossible. 

1990's all over again.

Remember PowerPC with the "velocity engine"?

People will only put up with that crap for a while before they leave for industry standards.

What's next, Mac Pro with ARM server chips? I mean I really wonder how this wil go. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'll be interested to see how these stack up to AMD's offerings. AMD's Ryzen 4000 laptop CPU's are exceptionally power efficient and I would assume they will most certainly outperform Apple's ARM chips. Makes you wonder the true reason for this change. A company doesn't switch CPU architectures like this for little reason, so there must be more at play here.

Unless that company is Apple, in which case they love delivering massive change, growing pains, and historically bad price-performance for little reason.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

2 hours ago, willies leg said:

1990's all over again.

Remember PowerPC with the "velocity engine"?

People will only put up with that crap for a while before they leave for industry standards.

This definitely isn't the 1990s.  Apple didn't have its own chip design wing (let alone one this successful) a quarter-century ago.  It wasn't using a Unix-based OS or universal binaries, didn't have a PC industry that focuses on mobility and always-on internet, and wasn't dealing with an Intel that was struggling to catch up to everyone else.

For that matter, ARM is an industry standard.  If you're using a phone or mobile tablet to browse this, you're using ARM right now.

Yes, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, but if we're going to borrow truisms, the past also isn't automatically indicative of the future.  The circumstances are very different this time around.

59 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

I'll be interested to see how these stack up to AMD's offerings. AMD's Ryzen 4000 laptop CPU's are exceptionally power efficient and I would assume they will most certainly outperform Apple's ARM chips. Makes you wonder the true reason for this change. A company doesn't switch CPU architectures like this for little reason, so there must be more at play here.

Unless that company is Apple, in which case they love delivering massive change, growing pains, and historically bad price-performance for little reason.

I wouldn't speculate about performance versus AMD when we haven't actually seen a laptop-sized ARM chip from Apple yet.  The common expectation is that it will be at least competitive with what's out there in x86 land, if not faster, and should have good battery life.

There's not much mystery to why Apple is doing this: it's frustrated with Intel's manufacturing problems and wants to be in control of its destiny.  The company has a long history of taking charge if it feels like it's chained to another company's fate.  Hence HTML5 (instead of Flash), Safari, iTunes, the iWork suite, the processors in iPhones... the key is that it doesn't accept being screwed over by a partner like you often see in the Android and Windows worlds.

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

There is still microcode, the fly over from above difference (quick and dirty) is basically the name itself. PowerPC also had to release microcode updates to fix Spectre vulnerabilities. https://www.ibm.com/blogs/psirt/potential-impact-processors-power-family/

Modern processors today take input of large instructions but end up breaking them down (the decoder) in to many smaller ops which is where the comments about everything basically being RISC comes from. Actual RISC processors don't have these decoders though so your doing more of that yourself in code and compilers, and you might not be better at it than Intel optimized compilers and CPU decoders are.

Huh.  Perhaps I was misinformed or I misunderstood an explanation given to me.  It wouldn’t be the first time.

I thought the whole idea behind the development of risc in general originally was they wanted to get rid of microcode, so they developed the reduced instruction set to make that possible.  There are many types of risc though and that may refer only to a few or one or none of them. Also the development of risc was a long time ago and things may have changed.  Or they weren’t able to but found other useful things.  That’s been known to happen with research

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

For me at least These new CPUs are going to need a lot more grunt than an iPad.  This can AMD has been done with RISC.  I understand there are some pretty hardcore RISC server CPUs out right now

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

There's not much mystery to why Apple is doing this: it's frustrated with Intel's manufacturing problems and wants to be in control of its destiny.  The company has a long history of taking charge if it feels like it's chained to another company's fate.  Hence HTML5 (instead of Flash), Safari, iTunes, the iWork suite, the processors in iPhones... the key is that it doesn't accept being screwed over by a partner like you often see in the Android and Windows worlds.

Has nothing to do with it, this has been in the pipeline far longer than Intel has been having issues.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

32 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Has nothing to do with it, this has been in the pipeline far longer than Intel has been having issues.

The "wants to be in control of its destiny" part is still true, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had this in the works for a while simply because it wanted a failsafe in case Intel didn't pan out.  Remember, Apple had Macs running on Intel chips for several years before the transition -- it just started the switchover once it was clear PowerPC hit a dead end.

48 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Wait you work at apple and know what has been in their design pipeline for years? Or are you just making blind assumptions based on one guy predicting that apple will switch to ARM soon? This is still a rumor at this point and until apple themselves comes out and says they are switching I am not going to listen to these rumor as they have been saying this for years now. 

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Wait you work at apple and know what has been in their design pipeline for years? Or are you just making blind assumptions based on one guy predicting that apple will switch to ARM soon? This is still a rumor at this point and until apple themselves comes out and says they are switching I am not going to listen to these rumor as they have been saying this for years now. 

What? They literally released all of the information today and are shipping out dev units in a week. They also said it's been in development for over 10 years.

Beyond that, logic would dictate Apple changing the basis of their PC platform would have been in the works for a long time as opposed to a YOLO spontaneous decision after Intel had a recent issue with fabrication. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20