First ARM based Macs revealed, 13-Inch MacBook Pro and Redesigned iMac

TempestCatto
30 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Don't you mean an x86 PC game running on Arm64?

No because I'd believe that more than Mac OS running current games lol

One does not merely play games on a Mac, those people have far more important things to do like perfect that selfie and post it on Instagram then hash tag it on Twitter. You know, real productivity work 😉

For at least the first year I expect these to be borderline useless due to a lack of third party software support. Even if you're an early adopter you might want to skip this one.

I could be wrong but I think performance will be more or less in line with Intel models at comparable power packages, maybe a little better. These weren't really high performers to begin with (the "pro" name has been a joke for a while, especially on the 13" models) so overall it shouldn't be a big deal. The question remains as to whether this will actually scale up; there are high power ARM chips but they don't typically compete with Intel or AMD in IPC which is still a relevant metric of a lot of pro workloads.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

For at least the first year I expect these to be borderline useless due to a lack of third party software support. Even if you're an early adopter you might want to skip this one.

I could be wrong but I think performance will be more or less in line with Intel models at comparable power packages, maybe a little better. These weren't really high performers to begin with (the "pro" name has been a joke for a while, especially on the 13" models) so overall it shouldn't be a big deal. The question remains as to whether this will actually scale up; there are high power ARM chips but they don't typically compete with Intel or AMD in IPC which is still a relevant metric of a lot of pro workloads.

Considering the undeniable proof that Apple keeps under-developing thermal solutions for Intel hardware, causing the CPUs to run FAR below what they're meant to. Yeah, I bet folks aren't going to notice a weaker ARM chip that happens to be matched in thermal load.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

20 hours ago, leadeater said:

PC game running on a Mac?

that-s-when-mr-fluftykillsknew-hell-had-

Sadly Hell freezes over 3 to 6 months out of the year. Depends on how Michigan plans on being that year. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, PocketNerd said:

Considering the undeniable proof that Apple keeps under-developing thermal solutions for Intel hardware, causing the CPUs to run FAR below what they're meant to. Yeah, I bet folks aren't going to notice a weaker ARM chip that happens to be matched in thermal load.

I thought they had gotten better (or less bad at least) regarding those one.   The new 16” Mac Pro was sort of a testament to that.  Drastically reducing thermal requirements is a way around it I guess.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

No because I'd believe that more than Mac OS running current games lol

One does not merely play games on a Mac, those people have far more important things to do like perfect that selfie and post it on Instagram then hash tag it on Twitter. You know, real productivity work 😉

If an ARM Mac will run Nvidia shield stuff it may not matter.  having at home horsepower is nice of course.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Sadly Hell freezes over 3 to 6 months out of the year. Depends on how Michigan plans on being that year. 

We’ll see how it goes in the future of course.  There was apparently a 100f day in Siberia today which is more than a bit horrifying to me.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

We’ll see how it goes in the future of course.  There was apparently a 100f day in Siberia today which is more than a bit horrifying to me.

I know for a fact hell freezes over. My brother in law said it would be a cold day in hell before he would get married again. So on a nice brisk day in February, they tied the knot in the most unholy chapel you have ever seen in Hell. LOL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well I be dammed, they actually got Adobe to do something in a timely fashion.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

23 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well I be dammed, they actually got Adobe to do something in a timely fashion.

Adobe made its bones with Apple products in the 80’s.  They were a lot more together then too.  they were an Apple only company once.  I can see them putting out extra effort for this.