Jim Keller Resigns From Intel, Effective Immediately

IntMD

So from what I understood, this man likes to do only really difficult tasks? Like really hard challenges to achieve? Once he got what he want to achieve, he moves on to next challenge?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

30 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

So from what I understood, this man likes to do only really difficult tasks? Like really hard challenges to achieve? Once he got what he want to achieve, he moves on to next challenge?

Usually yes.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Usually yes.

Can you believe this guy helped AMD back on top just by accepting the challenge to develop a very good cpu?? Man, I gotta respect this guy!

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Can you believe this guy helped AMD back on top just by accepting the challenge to develop a very good cpu?? Man, I gotta respect this guy!

Don't forget the other hundred or so members of his team. He's a genius but not omnipotent 😉

12 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Don't forget the other hundred or so members of his team. He's a genius but not omnipotent 😉

I know. He probably was the leader of the team leading the other hundreds of members.

DAC/AMPs:

Just now, CTR640 said:

I know. He probably was the leader of the team leading the other hundreds of members.

He was in a senior position yes, but that doesn't mean we should forget their contributions. It's like claiming Linus is the sole reason LMG is successful. He is a big reason but the other 20 employees also factor in

6 hours ago, paeschli said:

Assuming he doesn't retire, where does he end up next? Apple for the ARM MacBooks? Back to AMD? Working for ARM or Qualcomm?

He's more like engineer for hire. I guess it gives more money because it's critical design and gives him challenge.

🦀 JIM KELLER IS GONE 🦀

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I was always a little confused by him being at Intel anyway. His usual MO is to join a company to help create a new product and there's no indication that Intel have any plans the replace Core so you gotta wonder what he was doing there at all?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Maybe he left in order to design a better water chiller for the next intel stock cooler? 🤔

Perhaps he'll join Thermaltake and their team of space-time warping engineers to pull cold air from nothing :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If he fancies a challenge, maybe he should apply at NASA. They want a man on Mars. And get him back as well!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

5 hours ago, 5x5 said:

It doesn't matter how good your crew is, if the captain doesn't know where he is going the boat will run into an iceberg.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

It doesn't matter how good your crew is, if the captain doesn't know where he is going the boat will run into an iceberg.

He kinda proved he's a special dude. Basically anyone who hired him released groudbreaking products afterwards. It has been this way with quite few Athlon processors in the past and now the famous Ryzen that risen AMD from the dead. One time it's luck, so many times it's skill. g. Keller knows what he's doing.

On 6/12/2020 at 3:20 PM, leadeater said:

His resignation was announced after/along with AMD statement that he had completed the design work and future development road map he was hired for so there is a slight difference, but Intel isn't as forthcoming with information so anybodies guess.

It's unusual for Keller to resign like that,Intel said it was due to personal reasons,

There are 3 possible causes i can think of:

1. Intel themselves - A dispute with the higher ups in Intel or their engineering personnel

2. Personal reasons - Keller thinks he needs more family time.

3. All of the above.

19 hours ago, RejZoR said:

g. Keller knows what he's doing.

Keller is a gifted genius in levels that are extremely rare,he's much more than "He knows what he's doing".

He is the father of Ryzen,Athlon 64,Apple CPUs and more.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

48 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's unusual for Keller to resign like that,Intel said it was due to personal reasons

I meant in regards to product development, Intel doesn't say a lot about things without the need no matter how well or how bad. Without a reason Intel isn't going to say. What he was working on could be basically complete or it's gone nowhere, Intel wouldn't say either here.

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

It's unusual for Keller to resign like that,Intel said it was due to personal reasons,

There are 3 possible causes i can think of:

1. Intel themselves - A dispute with the higher ups in Intel or their engineering personnel

2. Personal reasons - Keller thinks he needs more family time.

3. All of the above.

Keller is a gifted genius in levels that are extremely rare,he's much more than "He knows what he's doing".

He is the father of Ryzen,Athlon 64,Apple CPUs and more.

4. he has cancer

5. he wasn't being used to his fullest and Intel only wanted him there so AMD didn't have him

6. his wife has cancer

7. he has some financial issue or legal trouble to sort through first.

8. his son has cancer

9. he was offered more to work for VIA so he is feigning a rare medical condition that requires him to keep consulting at Intel but be somewhere else 8 hours a day 4 days a week.

10. he lost a bet with swan and elected being sacked over doing a nudy run around fab42.

11. someone else in his family I haven't mentioned yet has cancer

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

he was offered more to work for VIA

It would actually be very interesting if he does go over to VIA.

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

4. he has cancer

5. he wasn't being used to his fullest and Intel only wanted him there so AMD didn't have him

6. his wife has cancer

8. his son has cancer

9. he was offered more to work for VIA so he is feigning a rare medical condition that requires him to keep consulting at Intel but be somewhere else 8 hours a day 4 days a week.

10. he lost a bet with swan and elected being sacked over doing a nudy run around fab42.

Basically cancer or others

I doubt we'll know anything beyond this. I'm sure he had to sign NDA's stacked a mile high. 

19 hours ago, mr moose said:

Lmfao! And which Swan? The person named Swan or the animal swan? He also could have lost a bet with Swan catching swan in a lake and instead of catching one, Jim probably got beaten by the swan wings as they are dangerous.

DAC/AMPs:

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

I doubt we'll know anything beyond this. I'm sure he had to sign NDA's stacked a mile high. 

Also Keller doesn't seem like the type of guy to go out and tell all about it to the public,

He seems like a person that likes his privacy - He doesn't even have a twitter account.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 6/12/2020 at 4:58 PM, Master Disaster said:

I was always a little confused by him being at Intel anyway. His usual MO is to join a company to help create a new product and there's no indication that Intel have any plans the replace Core so you gotta wonder what he was doing there at all?

Honestly I thought he would work on an intel arm alternative when he went to intel rather than your typical cpu design. 

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Lmfao! And which Swan? The person named Swan or the animal swan? He also could have lost a bet with Swan catching swan in a lake and instead of catching one, Jim probably got beaten by the swan wings as they are dangerous.

Bob Swan,  I had visions of him trying argue with the CEO that he couldn't improve on 14nm anymore.

23 hours ago, mr moose said:

4. he has cancer

6. his wife has cancer

8. his son has cancer

Those all fall under Personal Reasons. 

Though I'd pay to see #10... I'm just saying. That would be fucking great for investors.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Those all fall under Personal Reasons. 

I never said they weren't personal, I just added to the list.

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Though I'd pay to see #10... I'm just saying. That would be fucking great for investors.

Intel be like, "we are so confident in our product we sacked the worlds foremost CPU designer".   ...   "he wouldn't do a nudy run".