[Mini] Samsung 980 Pro arriving soon

williamcll

For information, the 980 Pro was shown in CES 2020, runs on PCIe 4.0 x4 and as a Read/Write speed of 6.5/5 GB/s. A Samsung spokesperson at that time said that information will be available in Q2, which has passed at this point. News regarding other 980 

IMGP7943_678x452.jpg

IMGP7944.jpg

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15352/ces-2020-samsung-980-pro-pcie-40-ssd-makes-an-appearance

Thoughts: 5 drives would be more than enough to fully populate a PCIe 4.0 X16 slot through the card Linus recently got, but I would imagine the price of this be as much as buying a top end graphics card.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Neat but barely news.  A next gen of SSD isn't a big deal. 

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

22 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Neat but barely news.  A next gen of SSD isn't a big deal. 

given that samsgun makes some of the fastest SSDs that have great long term reliability and consistent speeds its kinda a big deal.

now raid 0 of these for a media storage drive for some nice 6k or 8k raw or 4k proress 4444XQ thats the way to go and why these drives exist

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

57 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

inb4 these cost 50% more than the competing 4.0 drives.

I'm not that up to date with SSDs but last time I checked Samsung drives were pretty competitive in terms of pricing. At least when you took performance and reliability into account.

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

inb4 these cost 50% more than the competing 4.0 drives.

If they do, then they are well worth it considering current 2-bit MLC drives allready cost 50% more when looking at 3.0 2-bit MLC drives. 

Unless you dont need 2-bit MLC. In which case you are fine with TLC drives.

41 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I'm not that up to date with SSDs but last time I checked Samsung drives were pretty competitive in terms of pricing. At least when you took performance and reliability into account.

Samsungs sata drives are extremely competitve, however the NVME drives seem to carry a premium compared to its competitors. So I can only assume PCIE 4.0 will increase that further.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

If they do, then they are well worth it considering current 2-bit MLC drives allready cost 50% more when looking at 3.0 2-bit MLC drives. 

Unless you dont need 2-bit MLC. In which case you are fine with TLC drives.

Samsung 980 Pro is an avoid product for most people (as the cost is nuts) it will be the EVO that we will need to see the pricing for.

Nice. It'll significantly outperform Phison E16 drives, but by the time this launches there will be E18 drives on the horizon too

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

Nice bandwidth but.. IOPs performance?

I've been super happy with Samsung SSDs over the last few years  but they do cost quite more than the competitors as well.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Excluding their QVO range. Those SSD aren't priced low enough compared to TLC SSD (write endurance is a non issue - it's better than some 2014-2015 TLC SSD *looks at OCZ/Toshiba*).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

50 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Samsung 980 Pro is an avoid product for most people (as the cost is nuts) it will be the EVO that we will need to see the pricing for.

Pro is more of a compelling product compared to the Evo lineup. 

As you can get other offerings that perform similarly compared to the Evos, but cost a lot less. 

The Pros offer something that really cant be had with other drives, the Evos doesnt. 

57 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Samsungs sata drives are extremely competitve, however the NVME drives seem to carry a premium compared to its competitors. So I can only assume PCIE 4.0 will increase that further.

27 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

I've been super happy with Samsung SSDs over the last few years  but they do cost quite more than the competitors as well.

Are they really that much more expensive?

Sure they are very expensive. I mean, the Pro model is very expensive even compared to Samsung's own EVO model, but the performance is really, really good.

These come in 4TB version? Annoying thing about M.2 format drives is they lag in capacity so badly most of the time. Ages ago when I wanted 2TB SSD, only one available was as SATA. Wanted a 4TB M.2 recently and again M.2's only came in 2TB flavors. Ugh.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Are they really that much more expensive?

Sure they are very expensive. I mean, the Pro model is very expensive even compared to Samsung's own EVO model, but the performance is really, really good.

In my region a 860 EVO at the start of 2018 was 320€ for 1TB, the PRO was 500-600€

In 2019 the same drives went to 160€ EVO and 300€ PRO model

So it's pretty much a 80-100% price increase for the PRO model. Big difference is in endurance rating not speed however, speed difference isn't much between the two.

Considering current pricing and same difference, the 980 PRO will cost a crapton.

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

These come in 4TB version? Annoying thing about M.2 format drives is they lag in capacity so badly most of the time. Ages ago when I wanted 2TB SSD, only one available was as SATA. Wanted a 4TB M.2 recently and again M.2's only came in 2TB flavors. Ugh.

As far as I know it's only up to 1TB.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, GoldenLag said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r3RgXL/sabrent-rocket-4-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-4tb

There is 1 drive that does that i found on PCPP. 

Does it come at a good price? No

It's not really that expensive for a fast NVMe 4TB SSD. It's basically how much I paid for the 2TB drive back in the day. And it's still only SATA... I'm kinda Samsung biased when it comes to SSD's though, although I heard about Sabrent and it seems to have a good reputation.

44 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Excluding their QVO range. Those SSD aren't priced low enough compared to TLC SSD (write endurance is a non issue - it's better than some 2014-2015 TLC SSD *looks at OCZ/Toshiba*).

I look at this way given I see Samsung pro SATA drives as another option to most of the really expensive SSDs used to record high res/high framerate video. their M.2 are good for editors scratch disk as those end up being a t2 to ram and you don't want that slow.

I can save between 50-150$ on 2tb drives or 50-100$ on 1tb drive. over sonys or Angelbird for external recorders

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

A Samsung spokesperson at that time said that information will be available in Q2, which has passed at this point.

We're still in Q2 though, June is the last month of Q2.

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

A lot of NVMe SSDs rely/hide behind DRAM cache and SLC cache where as Samsung NVMe SSDs actually have good controllers and high quality high performance NAND flash chips and won't nose dive in performance if you sustain a load or actually have really demanding I/O loads.

You can easily engineer an SSD to have the highest performance in typical benchmark software but in reality be inferior in performance in real life and worse can be less reliable since it's designed to benchmark well but no actually be at the reliability standard you would expect of that performance.

Samsung also uses the same DRAM and NAND flash chips on their consumer SSDs as their enterprise ones and the only real difference is slightly modified/optimized controller chips (based on the same common standard), power loss protection and more physical NAND flash reserved (over-provisioning) for reliability in performance and lifespan.

If you buy Samsung you are always getting a quality product with solid engineering focusing on real outcomes. Seek out the enterprise SSD reviews and you'll see just how vastly different the testing methodology is, major one being the device is brought in to a stabilized state by writing to it until all caching and leveling is exhausted and you are getting true performance figures. Not so important for consumer workloads and testing but this type of testing exposes the real performance of the SSD, if you can find consumer SSDs tested this way is really interesting to see but few outside of Samsung get put through that kind of testing because Samsung is one of the few consumer SSDs you would actually try and get away with using in a server if you need to go on the cheap.

Pro actually means Pro when Samsung uses it, not a gimmick but neither is Pro actually enterprise/server rated it just happens to actually be as good as some that are (minus power loss protection).

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

It is not that they lag as much as they are just smaller, I've seen m2 with 4 memory chips at most and 2.5' SATA drives with 8, I think you could even put chips on two sides of a 2.5' drive if you really wanted. That means m2 drives will always have lower maximum capacity and MLC are also smaller than TLC(or QLC). From time to time there is a new chip with increased capacity, that's when you get bigger drives.

With PCIE 5 coming and it being hard to tell the difference between SATA and nvme SSDs anyway, I wonder if we'll stop at some point and be satisfied with some number of GB/s(not forever, just for a while)

55 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm kinda Samsung biased when it comes to SSD's though, although I heard about Sabrent and it seems to have a good reputation.

Its a phison E12 controller. 

Its essentially what most other manufacturers use for their high-ish end NVMe drives. 

Same one as the MP510 from Corsair (which is one of the few you can find benchmark off for comparison)

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

lot of NVMe SSDs rely/hide behind DRAM cache and SLC cache where as Samsung NVMe SSDs actually have good controllers and high quality high performance NAND flash chips and won't nose dive in performance if you sustain a load or actually have really demanding I/O loads.

Might be missunderstand some of the point here, but samsung drives also rely on dram cache and SLC cache to achieve the write speed that are rated. 

They do nosedrop in sustained write performance once the SLC cache runs out. The Pro drives nosedive less as they use 2-bit MLC. Which allow them to hold a higher speed compared to Evos and other TLC based drives. 

They certainly use really good controllers tho. 

Edit: had to doublecheck. Seems that the 2-bit MLC 970 pro drives do not have a nosedive. Thats my bad

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Might be missunderstand some of the point here, but samsung drives also rely on dram cache and SLC cache to achieve the write speed that are rated. 

No, as in the performance you see on the box has no relation to the actual speed and quality of the product because the controller firmware used is designed to make use of the DRAM cache as much as possible for as long as possible (duration of typical benchmarks) so you really have no idea how well the SSD actually performs. You might as well just be testing system memory to see how fast your SSD is.

Edit:

And I'm not saying that this actually makes Samsung SSD better for consumer workloads or the other ones that do that aren't good, it's just that unless you know about this you might buy the wrong thing in a more Pro/Semi-Pro workload where it would actually make a difference. Don't go buying a Samsung Pro SSD for game storage, actually is a waste of money and may actually be slower than these peaky designed ones for that.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

-snip-

Ah so you are reffering to that short benchmarks. 

Added a edit as i doublechecked pro drives from samsung to see if they utilized SLC cache in a notable manner. Which they didnt. 

For some reason i thought it dropped to around 1200mb/s. My bad. 

And yeah, the box numbers are fairly missrepresenting on how good the perfomance is. 

Edit: i was really only commenting in regards to Samsung using the same techniques to achieve high burst performance. As they havent (for the most part) only used good controllers and flash to avoid the dropp after running out of SLC.