Your Folding Rig(s)

Any tips for making a dedicated folding machine out of spare parts? I have an FX-8120, GTX 550Ti, & HD 6770 on the shelf.

Should I go linux or just stick with what I know on Windows?

Would overclocking the cpu be worth the effort?

Does fah play nice with Nvidia and AMD cards in the same system?

Check out my Trading Card Inventory, I probably have that one card you need

Gaming PC  Corsair C70 Arctic White ▪ MSI Z77 MPower ▪ i7-3770k, Core 4.0 GHz ▪ Patriot IEM 4 x 4GB @ 2133MHz ▪ 2 x Palit GTX 670 Jetstreams in SLI, Core 1250 MHz, Mem 3150 MHz ▪ OS on 128GB Samsung 840 Pro ▪ Silverstone ST85F-P w/ Fancy Silverstone Cables

Server ▫ Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ▪ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ▪ i5-2500 ▪ Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB @ 1600MHz ▪ Asus GTX 550ti ▪ OS on 120GB Samsung 840 ▪ 5.2TB Storage Space ▪ Antex HCG 900

First - for GPU folding, pretty much need to go Windows...

Yes, FAH works with both types in the same system and yes, overclocking the CPU will give you a PPD boost. Just don't do anything extreme. That can cause WU's to fail...

If you have spare parts though, those are the perfect ones, slap them together, let them run 7/24....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

lol prepare for the most useless piece of junk for folding

cpu: intel pentium 4

gpu: what gpu?

my main 'gaming' system

AMD, 1090t at 4ghz (it gets the job done) :P

and a 7950

(Y)

hey guys i just added a new pc to my growing folding it prob wont be like Whaler_99 farm but its a start haha 

cpu q6600 2.4 ghz cant overclock cheep motherboard

some intel mother board socket 775

2 gtx 465 one evga the other zotac

cant really fold on the cpu yet there is a stock heatsink and it cant handle it get too hot

the gpus get about 15k a piece

at the moment its pulling just over 30k ppd

not bad for $100 

hey guys i just added a new pc to my growing folding it prob wont be like Whaler_99 farm but its a start haha 

cpu q6600 2.4 ghz cant overclock cheep motherboard

some intel mother board socket 775

2 gtx 465 one evga the other zotac

cant really fold on the cpu yet there is a stock heatsink and it cant handle it get too hot

the gpus get about 15k a piece

at the moment its pulling just over 30k ppd

not bad for $100 

Ya, those older 400 series cards are pretty good. Most of my older ones I didn't both with CPU folding - draw to much - just did GPU folding.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Folding on two rigs:

CPU: i5 2500k

GPU: 560TI

CPU: i5 2500

GPU 550TI  

I'm folding on two GTX 670s, getting about 80K PPD. I have a 3570K at 4.8GHz but I don't fold on it, it doesn't seem to net me any more points since it slows down the GPUs as well.

Folding on two rigs:

CPU: i5 2500k

GPU: 560TI

CPU: i5 2500

GPU 550TI  

That should net you a nice amount :)

I'm folding on two GTX 670s, getting about 80K PPD. I have a 3570K at 4.8GHz but I don't fold on it, it doesn't seem to net me any more points since it slows down the GPUs as well.

If you do fold on CPU - do you have it set at CPU:3? Typically FAH does that, just cause. AMD cards do need more CPU then NVidia. Try manually setting it to CPU:4 and see what you get.

If you do fold on CPU - do you have it set at CPU:3? Typically FAH does that, just cause. AMD cards do need more CPU then NVidia. Try manually setting it to CPU:4 and see what you get.

I just decided to test it out again and something seems to have change, adding the CPU took me from 80K to 110K PPD! I'll take it!

I just decided to test it out again and something seems to have change, adding the CPU took me from 80K to 110K PPD! I'll take it!

Sweetness! :)

I've got a:

CPU: AMD FX-8120 @ 3.1 GHz.

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz. Edition

RAM: 16 GB total @ 1333 MHz, using Transcend and Corsair sticks

PSU: 600W Diablotek

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46

Case: MSI Raptor

Boot Drive: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda

I can't wait to get better RAM and a better PSU, but I think I'd rather get a GTX 650 Ti BOOST to replace the 7770 just so I can have CUDA for Folding. Although this is my main rig, I'll be folding almost non-stop for the next few weeks to the next few months. I'm sure I can hold off use just to help out.

I've got a:

CPU: AMD FX-8120 @ 3.1 GHz.

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz. Edition

RAM: 16 GB total @ 1333 MHz, using Transcend and Corsair sticks

PSU: 600W Diablotek

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46

Case: MSI Raptor

Boot Drive: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda

I can't wait to get better RAM and a better PSU, but I think I'd rather get a GTX 650 Ti BOOST to replace the 7770 just so I can have CUDA for Folding. Although this is my main rig, I'll be folding almost non-stop for the next few weeks to the next few months. I'm sure I can hold off use just to help out.

Welcome to the Team. Check out the post on the new Beta Cores - now AMD cards are really getting some good PPD.

As for your RAM, I wouldn't bother upgrading it - any more then 16GB and faster then what you have, won't make a noticeable improvement. Spend your money first on getting a SSD boot drive. That will make a HUGE performance boost for you.

That's a lot of LED's :D

That's a lot of LED's :D

Yep and at LAN parties, it would be literally the brightest system, try looking for the other LED strips :P

At the moment I'm folding with my, what i think is a mid range gaming rig, i5 3570K on stock clocks as i don't have a aftermarket cooler for it, and a gigabyte 7850 oc'd to 1000MHz. folds lovely and stable with good temps all round, having said that its fairly cool where i am now, being winter we are averaging about 20-25C, it will be interesting to see what happens when summer comes around and it starts to hit 40C again, lol. I'm getting around 32K PPD on my rig. I'm thinking about doing an upgrade soon, not sure if i should get another 7850 or a cpu cooler and oc? i say that because i may need the cooler in summer as it's 22C today and my cpu is running around 67C on my hottest core.

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

At the moment I'm folding with my, what i think is a mid range gaming rig, i5 3570K on stock clocks as i don't have a aftermarket cooler for it, and a gigabyte 7850 oc'd to 1000MHz. folds lovely and stable with good temps all round, having said that its fairly cool where i am now, being winter we are averaging about 20-25C, it will be interesting to see what happens when summer comes around and it starts to hit 40C again, lol. I'm getting around 32K PPD on my rig. I'm thinking about doing an upgrade soon, not sure if i should get another 7850 or a cpu cooler and oc? i say that because i may need the cooler in summer as it's 22C today and my cpu is running around 67C on my hottest core.

Get a good aftermarket cooler all a liquid AiO unit and cool that CPU - then you can easily overclock that CPU. There really is no sense getting a second 7850 for a gaming rig. If you want better video performance, get a better video card and upgrade.

Update from my rig earlier - I'm getting 55,000 PPD now. I have no idea why, but I'm not complaining. :p

GTX 670 is getting 43,000, and i5-2320 is getting 12,000.

CPU: Intel i5-2320 @ 3.9gHz

GPU: MSI GTX 670 PE @ 1411/7387

I wanna go fast! :P

Been following Linus techtips for a while, and heard more and more about folding on the Live stream. so tought i check it out.

so added the beasts to the mix^^

Main Gamer: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - Intel® Core i7-3960X Extreme @ 4.8Ghz - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz 32GB - Quad-SLI EVGA GTX 690 - OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 SSD 240GB

Says it runs 122239 Points Per Day is this good ? new to folding.

Guest^^ Gamer: ASUS Sabertooth x79 - Intel® Core i7-3930k @ 4.7Ghz - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 32GB - X-Fire Sapphire Radeon HD7970 - Raid 0 Corsair's Force Series GT 240GB x2

This one is at 35000 ish Points Per Day

Joined Yesterday ;)

E3jIPRb.jpg

Pretty sweet setup you have there :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Been following Linus techtips for a while, and heard more and more about folding on the Live stream. so tought i check it out.

so added the beasts to the mix^^

Main Gamer: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - Intel® Core i7-3960X Extreme @ 4.8Ghz - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz 32GB - Quad-SLI EVGA GTX 690 - OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 SSD 240GB

Says it runs 122239 Points Per Day is this good ? new to folding.

Guest^^ Gamer: ASUS Sabertooth x79 - Intel® Core i7-3930k @ 4.7Ghz - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 32GB - X-Fire Sapphire Radeon HD7970 - Raid 0 Corsair's Force Series GT 240GB x2

This one is at 35000 ish Points Per Day

Joined Yesterday ;)

make sure you are running the new beta cores on the gpu's, i think whaler already posted a topic about it

otherwise great setup, those are beast, and welcome to the team :D

make sure you are running the new beta cores on the gpu's, i think whaler already posted a topic about it

otherwise great setup, those are beast, and welcome to the team :D

He made a forum announcement but I posted the topic that alerted everyone here.   :P (which I learned from a friend of mine that's on the beta team.   :ph34r: )

He's the link to the topic: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13837-updated-core-17-back-in-beta/