NEW PC, NOW WHAT!

Spike Wolfen

Hey all!

So as the title says, yes, I upgraded my Ryzen 5 2600X to a Ryzen 9 3900X.  Question now becomes . . . What the heck to do with it!

Im a tech guy, but i find myself lost in what are some things that are useful to do with this power.  Im currently doing Folding@Home in the spare times to kinda feel the use of my PC, but i have no clue what else to do!

Thanks in advance!

Sooooo.... You went and bought a CPU that you had no actual use for and now you're asking what should you do with it? 😐

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1. RGB

2. Fail at gaming

3. Just let it f@h forever

4. profit

5. stonks

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

well, some suggestions. since you have a cpu that strong, and likely specs to follow, find some games you'd like, watch youtube, or whatever you want. youre only limited by your os if you want cirtain games and are not on windows. currently waiting for a borderlands 3 linux port, but for now folding at home is good.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

Folding@home and/or BOINC for the LTT team? It'd really help contribute to fighting diseases and cyance science in general. The BOINC Pentathlon 2020 is coming up soon too! 😁

If you're interested, please check out the threads in the spoilers below.

Folding@home:

Spoiler

BOINC:

Spoiler

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Vritualization, rendering, all kinds of stuff. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

31 minutes ago, Spike Wolfen said:

Hey all!

So as the title says, yes, I upgraded my Ryzen 5 2600X to a Ryzen 9 3900X.  Question now becomes . . . What the heck to do with it!

Im a tech guy, but i find myself lost in what are some things that are useful to do with this power.  Im currently doing Folding@Home in the spare times to kinda feel the use of my PC, but i have no clue what else to do!

Thanks in advance!

To utilize the cpu, it not about what to do but what not to do:

Simply dont close applications anymore. Run al of it simultainously.

Reason: "because you can" :) ( assuming the amount of memory  matches the processor class).

Minesweeper.

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

First world problems amirite? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Personally I am the kind of person that goes: sees use for thing ----> buys thing.... I imagine that you  could sure have some fun with blender though, If you would like I could send you a blender file that you could use, and watch it crush your CPU for 3 to 4 days.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

so why did you upgrade then?

this is the same as people here posting about that they bought a used server and ask what to do with it.

You first have a problem to solve and then you solve it, you now have a solution for a problem you never had.