Quarantine, what’s everyone up to

CraigCPorter

Hi guys. Just thought I’d do a post and see what everyone is up to during lockdown. 

Shit thing for me I just started a new job 3 weeks into it and I’m now off for 2 months or so.  But since I’m off I get to spend time with my little lad and also cracked through a few games. Played through the first batman game Arkham asylum and now onto Arkham city. Bin playing Battlefield 4 which is one of my favourite FPS of all time (obviously the original doom growing up was better). 

What has everyone else bin doing

Hope everyone is staying safe. 

Craig 

i5 3570k 3.4GHZ, 8GB HyperX 1866mhz, GTX 960, ADATA 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Logitech G402, AFX Ultimate Gaming Keyboard

4 minutes ago, CraigCPorter said:

Hi guys. Just thought I’d do a post and see what everyone is up to during lockdown. 

Shit thing for me I just started a new job 3 weeks into it and I’m now off for 2 months or so.  But since I’m off I get to spend time with my little lad and also cracked through a few games. Played through the first batman game Arkham asylum and now onto Arkham city. Bin playing Battlefield 4 which is one of my favourite FPS of all time (obviously the original doom growing up was better). 

What has everyone else bin doing

Hope everyone is staying safe. 

Craig 

Animal crossing... so much animal crossing...

And buying shit I don’t really need. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Animal crossing back on the Nintendo DS was the bomb when I was a kid. Always remember waiting until midnight so I could see the fireworks on NYE on the game 

i5 3570k 3.4GHZ, 8GB HyperX 1866mhz, GTX 960, ADATA 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Logitech G402, AFX Ultimate Gaming Keyboard

Just now, CraigCPorter said:

Animal crossing back on the Nintendo DS was the bomb when I was a kid. Always remember waiting until midnight so I could see the fireworks on NYE on the game 

New switch one is great, issue would be finding a switch to download it on to. Not buy because it’s sold out physically and people are selling it for like £70 on eBay. Even though you can download it for £50...

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

New switch one is great, issue would be finding a switch to download it on to. Not buy because it’s sold out physically and people are selling it for like £70 on eBay. Even though you can download it for £50...

I was actually looking for one and it’s ridiculous how many people are selling them for way more than there rrp. But I kinda get why

work from home and my gamepad broke

tried playing monster hunter with KB+M turns me into a noob and i found it really unplayable and its just doesn't feel right

perhaps its i start playing starcraft again while waiting for the new gamepad

oh and 10th anniversary starcraft 2 GSL tournament starts on 11th April, which is nice

6 minutes ago, CraigCPorter said:

I was actually looking for one and it’s ridiculous how many people are selling them for way more than there rrp. But I kinda get why

Only one I could find near MSRP was a lite at £250

I'm a 911 dispatcher... I continue going to work everyday as a result.  Otherwise it's only to the grocery store when I need groceries, and the gas station when I need gas.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Same as before. 

Miss those restaurants tho, especially breakfast. ;_;

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

im torrenting games, some region blocked, some i cant afford, some on the wrong platform

other than this, im telling boomers to stop using zoom and cover their webcams using electrical tape on their fruitbooks

ps. im also folding, join the army if you have a spare cpu

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Pump on my AIO shat the bed so I have to replace my cooler. Figured it was a good time for a deep clean too so I decided to take everything out and give 'er.

Been doing lots of cooking and taking walks. A bit of gaming here and there but I just cant get into it like I used to. 

Basically the same as before just with less people around lol.

Working 6 days a week. Then we take the dog to the park and play frisbee. My friends finally have some free time so we have been having a few beers playing flag football and disc golf.

Im ready for things to go back to normal but actually having time for old friends has been nice.

5 hours ago, zassou said:

other than this, im telling boomers to stop using zoom and cover their webcams using electrical tape on their fruitbooks

An alternative to that would be to use plastic sliding covers that you can get for next to nothing on amazon for example. This is more practical, especially if you want to use the webcam some time. I use those covers both for the laptop's webcam and for my smartphone's front camera. Of course there are other ways to spy on people, but you have to draw the line somewhere in order not to get paranoid.

Back to coping with the quarantine: I now wash my hands even more often than I did before and also sometimes I have to use hand sanitizer (some supermarkets and pharmacies require customers to use them when entering). I noticed that my hands are getting quite dry. I am using hand cream with urea (synthetic urea of course), but I am wondering if any of you has other suggestions. I already checked the soap, there are no special ingredients and it is a type of soap I have been using for years without any problems.

6 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

I actually just pick that up a few days back.  First Animal Crossing game for me, darn, game is addicting.

I still have to go to work (work on a base).  But, new schedule with more days off, so a whole lot of cleaning up the house, playing some video games, getting some Warhammer models done, and having the 3D printer busy printing.

Actually, I'm enjoying the schedule switch up, more time to get stuff done and get some projects completed for once. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

17 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I actually just pick that up a few days back.  First Animal Crossing game for me, darn, game is addicting.

I still have to go to work (work on a base).  But, new schedule with more days off, so a whole lot of cleaning up the house, playing some video games, getting some Warhammer models done, and having the 3D printer busy printing.

Actually, I'm enjoying the schedule switch up, more time to get stuff done and get some projects completed for once. 

I’ve been booted to “working from home” even though I can’t which is great so all I’ve got is whatever games my MacBook will run in bootcamp so overwatch and picked up animal crossing for the switch. 

Still getting paid though so more money to waste on boredom! 

Eve Online, Minecraft, The Longing (379days to go) watching shrimp and fish tanks, go out for the odd groceries when i need it and the odd walk, going to smoke a pork and beef roast this week yet also. 

I go to work, when I'm off work I drive my gf to her job back and forth.  Besides that I go shopping for grocery.  I play some games ... borderlands 1 ... I tried playing with keyboard and mouse but I really suck at it so I just use my ps3 controller.  I know people will say I'm not a real gamer but I don't really care, I don't play with others anyway.  I tried grim dawn and it's a nice game I would say.  I'm just at the beginning for now and I'll be able to better form an opinion when I play more. 

I installed my spring/autumn tire yesterday ... and we will get snow tomorrow ... about 15cm ... glad those are 4 seasons instead or pure summer tires.  People would probably think it's dumb to have 3 sets of tire ... and I would probably think that too ... but long story short I had some 16" oem mags that were laying around that I wanted to buy summer tire for, but one of my friend offered me his 17" mag with brand new summer tires.  I still wanted to use the 16" so I got 4 seasons on them for the in between.  I know it's kind of weird and I should just sell the 16".  I'll probably do that next year. 

Most of the time I have I spend it watching tech youtuber and spend time on the forum while listening to music ... right now it's some cyber synthwave I found on YouTube. 

At some point I want to open up my keyboard and try to see if I can silence it with something.  Cut out the metallic sound when I type.  While I'm at it I'll check if my switches are soldered or not and if I can jailhouse them.   For now I use my old membrane keyboard ... the feeling is weird and I don't like it anymore but the silence is wonderful.   I wish my mechanical keyboard could become that silent. 

Anyway sorry about the rambling, I like the quiet keyboard and I'm trying to find out if the shorter travel of that membrane keyboard is something I like or not.  Also trying to find out if the top resistance of the membrane dome followed by linear feel until bottoming out is something I like or not. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

There are two groups of people during lockdown.

People off work or those working from home but don’t have kids: “I’ve lost so much weight this lockdown, it’s amazing! I never knew so could have so much free time when I don’t have to commute.”

People who are working from home and have kids: OMG I’ve got put on so much weight and barely get a second to myself, let alone to exercise.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Work: 2 days in the lab; 2 days at home.

It's been interesting trying to find a balance; with daycare closed my home days are less than productive. 

On the plus side I have a lot more time to cook, I usually eat at home 86% of the time and with the extra time at home I can experiment more in the kitchen.  The recipe book has gained a few new pages these past weeks.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

21 hours ago, Velcade said:

Work: 2 days in the lab; 2 days at home.

It's an interesting trying to find a balance; with daycare closed my home days are less than productive. 

On the plus side I have a lot more time to cook, I usually eat at home 86% of the time and with the extra time at home I can experiment more in the kitchen.  The recipe book has gained a few new pages these past weeks.

Aww I miss my lab, everything had its own labelled space on the cupboard shelves.

Dave kept stealing my good spatulas though 🤬

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

• 2 weeks later...

Working remotely, unless I have to print something then I go to my office for a while but that's about once every two weeks.

As far as leisure gaming, I play a bit of TF2 but the bots/spammers have gotten bad, played the new Fallout 76 update but the first quest I got broke nearly immediately (thanks Bethesda), some Minecraft, Snood, and Brutal Doom. I also have watched the entirety of The Grand Tour, all of Tiger King, and most of the old Top Gear specials.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Cleaning. So much cleaning.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

12 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

Cleaning. So much cleaning.

I wish I had the motivation to clean ... I really suck at motivating myself for those kind of things. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

On 4/7/2020 at 12:29 PM, Ithanul said:

I still have to go to work (work on a base).

I work indirectly for the DoD, so I still have to work as well(and be physically present). 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch