If you could start an airline, What Would You Do?

handymanshandle

I started an airplane thread some time ago on here so I figured I'd evolve that into something else

I think Nashville, TN would be the primary market that the airline serves but it'd be based out of Huntsville, AL

It's fleet would be Airbus A220-100s and A220-300s (formerly Bombardier CS100 and CS300), eventually it'd get A321neos with the Pratt and Whitney engine option and then maybe even A350s or A330neos

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

buy another airline company, preferable one in troubles, as there will be many.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

22 minutes ago, zassou said:

buy another airline company, preferable one in troubles, as there will be many.

That's one path lol

I think in the US, United would be a good choice. Likely they will struggle the most.

3 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

start one at any time except now

I think the stipulation would be it'd be at a time when there is no massive outbreak of a highly infectious disease.

I'd go bankrupt because I have no idea how to manage an airline and I'm not a people person. So frankly I'd just tell every "customers" that think they are "always right" that they can F off. Cue lawsuits.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Would probably go the AirAsia route and purchase a dying airline and their fleet. Make it a budget carrier, and charge people for everything except for their seat. Run flights only to/from the most touristy destinations and land at smaller airports to reduce parking fees, and pass that saving onto customers. Spend a shit ton of money on training/customer service and ensure most of the workforce can do multiple roles (i.e.: air steward can also man check-in counters).

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

Have it be small or big planes based on travel.

(\/) (°,,,,°) (\/)

I would make sure to buy planes and hire some staff.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

4 hours ago, Baos said:

Would probably go the AirAsia route and purchase a dying airline and their fleet. Make it a budget carrier, and charge people for everything except for their seat. Run flights only to/from the most touristy destinations and land at smaller airports to reduce parking fees, and pass that saving onto customers. Spend a shit ton of money on training/customer service and ensure most of the workforce can do multiple roles (i.e.: air steward can also man check-in counters).

honestly if I was a billionaire, buying up United if they don't recover fast enough after the coronavirus stuff is over might not be an awful idea because United is the airline that everyone loves to hate these days.

I'm not totally sure if the United brand could be salvaged because I feel like the picture of that doctor from a few years ago is going to stain their brand image for I don't even know how long but I just feel that the way its going, more people are either going to be picking American or Delta over them once things start returning to normal. Maybe it's possible, it'd be a lot of work for sure.

But if I were in charge of united I would simplify the fleet, would have to do something about United Express. I don't know what the comfort level is like on those regional jets and if passenger counts in most of those markets could warrant an Airbus A220-100 sized plane to take over.

Otherwise, would slim down the amount of different air frame families.

Would keep: 787s, 777-300, newer A319s/A320s (would retrofit with sharklets if they don't have them)

Planes that would go: 777-200, 767s, CRJs, E175, 737s even the max, EMB145, 757s, older A319/A320s

New planes added the fleet: 777X (if entry to service is sooner than 787), A220-100 and -300, A320neo (PW1100G), A321neo (PW1100G), A321LR (PW1100G), Embraer E170-E2

Go back to the 19302 style of flying, where it's ultra luxury. The entire plane would be "1st class" style, like this:

nintchdbpict000347264579.jpg?w=620

Make it one price for everything (no hidden fees, no per item nonsense) and yes, it'd be expensive, but for those who have to fly for business (and I'd aim squarely at business class folk, no families, no kids) make it an enjoyable experience.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

15 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

... It's fleet would be Airbus A220-100s and A220-300s (formerly Bombardier CS100 and CS300), eventually it'd get A321neos with the Pratt and Whitney engine option and then maybe even A350s or A330neos

I think you've got the scale wrong somehow.

None of those will fit in your three-car garage.

Call it CovAir and fly a bunch of Beech 1900s.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

41 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

ill have planes with bunk beds

Image result for plane with bunk beds

can fit lots of people and more comfortable imo

that'd be good for like those 20 hour flights

1 hour ago, Canoe said:

I think you've got the scale wrong somehow.

None of those will fit in your three-car garage.

Oh the A321neo would be in the yard, I think at least the A220-100 and A220-300 should be able to fit in the garage

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Go back to the 19302 style of flying, where it's ultra luxury. The entire plane would be "1st class" style, like this:

nintchdbpict000347264579.jpg?w=620

Make it one price for everything (no hidden fees, no per item nonsense) and yes, it'd be expensive, but for those who have to fly for business (and I'd aim squarely at business class folk, no families, no kids) make it an enjoyable experience.

that's an interesting idea.

Smaller long range planes would be necessary lol

Something like a range of 10+ hours

27 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Smaller long range planes would be necessary lol

Something like a range of 10+ hours

This is true, but if you've ever had the "pleasure" of flying these days, I believe my idea would be successful, because people I've talked with anyway, are really tired of being packed like sardines, putting up with screaming kids, crappy airline food, etc. and if they could write this off on a business expense, they would. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

The Arab Emirates would put that to shame. I've seen a documentary on the topic and in the most luxurious classes, it's like having a complete hotel-suite of your own in the place. Even just the somewhat less-luxurious stuff is still exceedingly luxurious from my point of view, like take a look at e.g. https://www.emirates.com/english/experience/cabin-features/first-class/a380/

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The Arab Emirates would put that to shame. I've seen a documentary on the topic and in the most luxurious classes, it's like having a complete hotel-suite of your own in the place. Even just the somewhat less-luxurious stuff is still exceedingly luxurious from my point of view, like take a look at e.g. https://www.emirates.com/english/experience/cabin-features/first-class/a380/

When 1st class isn't enough....

(of course, the UAE is filthy stinking rich, so it comes as no surprise they offer this)

16 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I'd go bankrupt

To be fair, that is kind of the norm when it comes to airlines.

Hire someone that knows how to run an airline & pay them more than I pay myself. 

3 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Oh the A321neo would be in the yard, I think at least the A220-100 and A220-300 should be able to fit in the garage

How big are american garages lol? An A220-300 has a wingspan of around 110 feet IIRC

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Bring back good food. 

Bring back leg room. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

A cargo airline with narrow-body freighters, ideally A320-P2F family (or B737-BCF), that offers flexible cargo routes.

Currently, there's a need for rapid logistic for crisis response. You really don't need an entire 777F to fly a few pellet of medicine, that's why Wizzair Hungary flew an A321neo (unmodified) from Budapest to Shanghai (with a fuel stop in Astana) to pickup some face masks and medical supplies in both cabin and hold. Imagine what you can do with a full-on freighter with a main deck plus hold.

Even after the pandemic passed, there's still a huge potential: overnight shipping. I believe there's a market between the trunk routes served by large freighters (Memphis-Anchorage or Louisville-London using a 767F or A300F) and the last-mile route served by small feeders (small town to focus city on a Cessna SkyCourier or ATR42F).

Narrow-body freighters are ideal to serve a route with high volume demand but are not bulky or heavy enough to require an entire wide-body, mostly from warehouse to cities with high-volume online shopping transactions. Also, converted freighters are cheaper and more efficient to operate compared to large, dedicated freighters and legacy freighters.

In your case, a hypothetical Nashville (close the the mean population center of US: reaches every one faster) hub would be compelling for serving state-side packet one-day shipping with selected routes to Huston, Chicago, etc.

Later on more freighter can be added to the fleet to facilitate higher capacity. If pilots are Cross Crew Qualification (CQC) ready, then larger planes like A330F (757F if selected Boeing) can be ordered for longer routes or higher payload.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."