LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, MK-23 said:

Yes, I have been restarting round the clock ever since I found the gpu acting up.

Sorry that is outta my league then. 

1 minute ago, LFreeman said:

Sorry that is outta my league then.

:( It's okay! But I think, I killed it! Unfortunate! If it revives (I hope), I will give an update.

49 minutes ago, Jeremiah.Schorn said:

look up his 90 day cpu log on https://apps.foldingathome.org/cpu

THis has to be a massive server farm, as i saw between 4 and 17 jobs returned completed every 1 to 2 seconds.  Remember each job takes between 1 and 2 hours for the higher end products.

34,172 Slots of which:

- 16,340 are NVidia GPU

- 17,832 are x86

Makes me wonder why I'm spending all this money on electricity.

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

28 minutes ago, MK-23 said:

(GPU: RTX 2070 Super) I am also noticing that the gpu runs at a lower clock for the past two days. Earlier, temp would rise to a 65c (with an aggressive fan curve) and a clock of 1935. Now the clock dropped to 1605! and temp to 50c. My question is, did I kill my gpu by folding 24/7? Or, is it just because of the wu(s) that they don't require the higher clocks (I don't know)!

I really hope it's the latter. 

Thanks!

Check that you don't have a game launcher hiding in your Notification bar.

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

My RX580 seems to be pretty stable, I've set it to advanced work to try to keep it more steadily fed. Still getting an odd failed work unit here and there on the Vega56 so I dropped the core clock by another 10mhz and memory by another 10mhz to see if that straightens it out long term or not. I'd rather drop a little speed then up the volts/heat. Got a p106-100 on the way to bring another system online to park in the basement to add to my folding run, of all the boxes currently folding that one will be the one that will stay running all the time for months/years.

5 minutes ago, ObeliskAG said:

Check that you don't have a game launcher hiding in your Notification bar.

No, I have been monitoring the system from day 1. Did not run anything heavy ever since.

10 minutes ago, MK-23 said:

No, I have been monitoring the system from day 1. Did not run anything heavy ever since.

My suspicion is that you have another application running that has put the GPU in a different power state (probably P2 when you want P0). Bethesda Game Launcher or something like it, would do it.  You don't have to be running a game, just having the launcher running in the background will lock the GPU at 1,605. Your GPU is probably fine, as a fried GPU would likely be displaying screen artifacts and/or only be providing 2D graphics with no compute/3D capability.

Pause your folding and reboot.

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

I just bought a new light fixture for my apartment, but I cannot replace it because the wall plug and the lights are on the same breaker as my computer. Will have to deal with the crappy light fixture until the end of the event... 🙄

1 minute ago, ObeliskAG said:

My suspicion is that you have another application running that has put the GPU in a different power state (probably P2 when you want P0). Bethesda Game Launcher or something like it, would do it.  You don't have to be running a game, just having the launcher running in the background will lock the GPU at 1,605. Your GPU is probably fine, as a fried GPU would likely be displaying screen artifacts and/or only be providing 2D graphics with no compute/3D capability.

Pause your folding and reboot.

I understand what you are saying, but the only thing that runs on the system are afterburner and firefox (from time to time) and nothing else. I started folding on 27th of March (most probably) since then I have had no such issues with the gpu whatsoever, but for the last two day. And as I am monitoring all day, nothing else runs in the background.

I also get that the screen will start showing signs of a dead gpu, but under same conditions why would the gpu not use all its clock when in afterburner and TM its showing 96% to 99% usage?

I really want to stay up long enough to grab my 600 WUs folded certificatesince I missed the 500 certificate, but I'm too tired...

Will try to see if I can grab the 700 about this time tomorrow.

Nighty night

F@H    EOC

16 minutes ago, MK-23 said:

I understand what you are saying, but the only thing that runs on the system are afterburner and firefox (from time to time) and nothing else. I started folding on 27th of March (most probably) since then I have had no such issues with the gpu whatsoever, but for the last two day. And as I am monitoring all day, nothing else runs in the background.

I also get that the screen will start showing signs of a dead gpu, but under same conditions why would the gpu not use all its clock when in afterburner and TM its showing 96% to 99% usage?

The GPU can be at 100% utilization at the base clock rate. You are saying thermals are fine and it's unlikely that power is an issue while your just folding.

My money is that some application has changed the power state of the GPU. This feature is discussed here: https://developer.nvidia.com/setstablepowerstateexe- disabling -gpu-boost-windows-10-getting-more-deterministic-timestamp-queries

I don't know if it's possible that Firefox may have rendered some content or has a plug-in that might change of the GPU power state. Have you tried rebooting?

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

Hoping someone can help me. What should I expect from this for folding?

image.png.fed8132992b816d637dc8035dbcda414.png

image.png.e5e07f9f6522160a706c46a063d27545.png

Is this even good? Should I spin up more of these? I have 3 more servers identical to this powered off not doing anything at the moment.

12 minutes ago, ObeliskAG said:

I don't know if it's possible that Firefox may have rendered some content or has a plug-in that might change of the GPU power state. Have you tried rebooting?

I don't think so too. I have been rebooting round the clock. It seems like I might need to reinstall the nvidia drivers from the ground up.

9 hours ago, ColdThief said:

Whelp I did all I could do. My landlords noticed a power bill increase. I contributed the best I could, but I can't finish the last 5 days. Good luck to everyone and I'm glad we are helping!

Shut the front door. How are they such blood hawks.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 hour ago, MK-23 said:

(GPU: RTX 2070 Super) I am also noticing that the gpu runs at a lower clock for the past two days. Earlier, temp would rise to a 65c (with an aggressive fan curve) and a clock of 1935. Now the clock dropped to 1605! and temp to 50c. My question is, did I kill my gpu by folding 24/7? Or, is it just because of the wu(s) that they don't require the higher clocks (I don't know)!

I really hope it's the latter. 

Thanks!.

If your GPU was failing you’d be getting Failures in the Log. Folding at Home will tell you real quick if your GPU is mis configured or throwing errors or your system can’t handle the full thermal load.

I have 5 RTX 2070 Supers and you definetly have an issue as mine all stay between 1900MHz and 2050MHz at 48-51C but these are all Hybrid cards with an AIO so something is down-clocking the cards.

If it isn’t failing at Folding and you’re not running a game launcher then it is likely the boost algorithm which will only down-clock you if you hit a thermal, voltage or power limit.

I would suggest a reboot and clearing any settings auto applied in after-burner or other such tool.

1635 sounds suspiciously like a base clock speed with no boost.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

3 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

I would suggest a reboot and clearing any settings auto applied in after-burner or other such tool.

Yes, I will hard-reboot once this wu is done. Also reinstall the drivers.

6 minutes ago, MK-23 said:

I don't think so too. I have been rebooting round the clock. It seems like I might need to reinstall the nvidia drivers from the ground up.

What configuration changes have you made with MSI Afterburner?

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

Just now, ObeliskAG said:

What configuration changes have you made with MSI Afterburner?

Nothing except an aggressive fan curve.

1 minute ago, MK-23 said:

Nothing except an aggressive fan curve.

Have you tried increasing your power limit to the top, while leaving your clock speeds alone?

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

Hi, I was wonder if I should choose either the CPU or GPU for folding@home

I'm using my old laptop for this, It's an Asus X550CC

Cpu: core i5-3337U

GPU: Nvidia GT 720M 

Currently folding with the cpu at light settings (it's a laptop in my bedroom and I don't want it to make lound sound at night) now as it got a job before the GPU... I believe the gpu would be Idle most of the time as it would always use the Igpu for videos 

Also how do I set-up a webUi for it so that I can manage it instead of looking at the laptop screen itself? 

Just now, ObeliskAG said:

Have you tried increasing your power limit to the top, while leaving your clock speeds alone?

I literally have not messed with any other setting other than the fan curve and the power limit seems to be at the 100% mark.

Active users have continued to grow over the last few days!

image.png.c06aaba81e3584454c98eb55b0fb90e2.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240